WataMote

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

WataMote

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:44 am

Full title: Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!

MangaUpdates wrote:Kuroki Tomoko is a super popular, high school girl, who has had 50 years of dating experience, and 100 boys... in the Otome game world. In the real world, she is a 15 year old shut in, who has all of the qualities of a mojo (a gloomy or unpopular woman).

However, when school isn't going as she expected, and she isn't as popular as she had thought she was, she takes a look at herself in the mirror for the first time in a few years, and has some shocking revelations...

purplepolecat
Org Profile

Re: WataMote

Post by purplepolecat » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:53 pm

THIS is the social awkwardness anime I've been waiting for. |:>

Seriously, I love this show. No punches are pulled here. The isolation, the rationalizations, the delusions, the bitterness, the snark, the simultaneous loathing and envy towards the socially normal, and the joy of tiny victories. It's all very real, but at the same time hilarious and adorable.

Add some deftly performed parodies and shout-outs, and a kick ass opening theme, and you have my favorite anime this season.

(I particularly enjoyed the punchline to the "portrait drawing" subplot in ep2.)

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:22 pm

Yeah, was pretty surprised by the op, but it fits in surprisingly well. Definitely a fave this season, and probably this year too, so far.
Under Construction

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:07 pm

the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best

Seriously, I was a little anxious leading up to the release of it, considering my loevs of the manga, and the fact that no matter how you look at it, the entire thing is 95% internal monologue of a rather immature, twisted, illogical character. However with the first two eps, it really delivered - Tomoko's voice actor did a really outstanding job, the internal monologue stays totally faithful, and the animation has been great so far. I LOVE the opening and ending(s) as well, those were extremely well thought-out and pretty out there!

This has all my FEELS and Mokocchi is mai waifu ;_________;
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:32 pm

I haven't quite decided if I like this show or not. It's funny and different, but Im not sure I can take 13 episodes [or more, depending on sales?] of this knowing nothing is really going to get better for this girl. One heck of an OP animation though.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:It's funny and different, but Im not sure I can take 13 episodes [or more, depending on sales?] of this knowing nothing is really going to get better for this girl. .
I can sympathise with that, but you have to really look at Tomoko as a fictional character, not a real person. WataMote is a grotesque parody of much-loved tropes of moe wish fulfillment and hopeful coming-of-age narratives. It'd be wrong for her to suddenly come around, and kind of defeat the purpose of the whole thing. Like the Yandere Boys CDs Tomoko listens to, the utter levels of fail she experiences in this show is really, well, cathartic - even in a totally non-comedic kind of way. If you relate to Tomoko (and I certainly do), the fact that despite her redeeming qualities and loveable traits she is still a pretty terrible person and total failure is one of the appeals of the show. It's a special kind of medicine, so to speak, and I for one am VERY glad to be getting it from WataMote. So I hope it never changes and continues to poke viciously at the light-hearted, inspirational, happy stuff it parodies - but if that's not your thing, that's okay too.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:00 am

It's so very painful to watch this, more so than reading the manga but it's hilarious and I can't stop myself from doing so. XD And it's so saddening cause when you think about the stuff she wants, it's just what every normal high school girl also wants. Except her methods are a bit extreme in comparison. XD

[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Post by [madaraxD] » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 am

Otohiko wrote:the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best
THIS.

Kain-x-spirits
Org Profile

Post by Kain-x-spirits » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Awesome.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:03 pm

[madaraxD] wrote:
Otohiko wrote:the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best
THIS.
Yes. yesyeysetserasdfasdfasdfa;lckvna :ying:

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”