Animefest 2013

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
MikeWilliams
Org Profile

Animefest 2013

Post by MikeWilliams » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:46 pm

It's our second year in our convention's new venue, and we're expecting this Animefest be bigger than ever. I'm happy to invite you to participate in this year's AMV Contest!

For more information, please feel free to check out https://animefest.org/u/e/AF2013/Progra ... deoContest

As always, if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them here.
Mike Williams
AnimeFest AFV Coordinator

Magicflier
Org Profile

Re: Animefest 2013

Post by Magicflier » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:26 am

If we don't create our own credits, does that mean that the coordinators will type up info cards for us?

MikeWilliams
Org Profile

Post by MikeWilliams » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Generally, I don't create bumpers for the videos during the exhibition - I want the work on display to be entirely that of the video editors themselves. However, we also play videos in the anime rooms, and we're looking at piping a feed to the hotel rooms as well, and for those, I'm going to be making bumpers with whatever information I have available.

If there's a specific name that you'd like to be credited as in any of the bumpers, please let me know. Otherwise, I use my best guess.
Mike Williams

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 pm

The vast majority of contests on this continent mandate that people don't have bumpers on their stuff (mostly so there isn't any name-recognition bias in the finalist selection process). Unless your con has a compelling reason to get entries on its own, having rules that diverge wildly from the standard way things are done is only going to result in you getting fewer entries than you would otherwise get.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:17 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:The vast majority of contests on this continent mandate that people don't have bumpers on their stuff (mostly so there isn't any name-recognition bias in the finalist selection process). Unless your con has a compelling reason to get entries on its own, having rules that diverge wildly from the standard way things are done is only going to result in you getting fewer entries than you would otherwise get.
I'd like to know how that worked out for San Japan's contest (same state), because when it was run by the AnimeFunTV people, and then even as late as last year, they would require an identifying bumper. Perhaps it's a Texas thing.

(They seem to have dropped the requirement for this year though, or at least I can't find any mention of it in this year's rules.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

MikeWilliams
Org Profile

Post by MikeWilliams » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:22 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:The vast majority of contests on this continent mandate that people don't have bumpers on their stuff (mostly so there isn't any name-recognition bias in the finalist selection process). Unless your con has a compelling reason to get entries on its own, having rules that diverge wildly from the standard way things are done is only going to result in you getting fewer entries than you would otherwise get.
I hadn't considered that. I'll bring the issue up with our panel of judges. We've already started receiving submissions this year, so while we have some time until the contest due date, I myself am hesitant to make a rules change for this year's contest. That being said, I can be overruled by the rest of the judge team, and this is certainly something that will likely make it into next year's rule set.
Mike Williams

MikeWilliams
Org Profile

Post by MikeWilliams » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:34 pm

As expected, we're going to be keeping our posted rules for this year. But, with next year's contest, we'll be moving closer to the requirements that other contests use. We do want videos entered into our contest to be on an even footing.

And, speaking of which I'll use this post to remind video producers that there's a bit more than a month to get your videos in to the Animefest AMV contest. I look forward to your submissions.
Mike Williams

MikeWilliams
Org Profile

Post by MikeWilliams » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 pm

We're a month away from the final day to get your videos in! All videos must arrive, be it via file transfer or by post, by August 15th. I look forward to continuing to receive your submissions!
Mike Williams

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Did I send anything @_@ bc I can't remember

MikeWilliams
Org Profile

Post by MikeWilliams » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:27 pm

My apologies for the relatively slow response, I'd been away from the laptop where I'd collected the entered videos this years for more than a week. But, I'm back in town, and it does not appear that a video has been entered under the name 'BecauseImBored'. If you might have submitted it under a different name, feel free to PM me and I can check for you - or just go ahead and send your submission. If it's a resubmission, I'll let you know, and work with you to determine which video or videos you'd prefer to actually have submitted.
Mike Williams

Return to “AMV Contests”