Question about YouTube editing

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
AnimeDudde
Org Profile

Question about YouTube editing

Post by AnimeDudde » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:55 am

Hey guys, so I figured what better place to ask about video editing than this forum full of AMV editors. I just started vlogging and need some advice about the editing. For example, here is one of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH7ZaAWYFJM

With AMV's it's fairly simple since I don't have to worry about sound too much and basically match it with the video, but with vlogs it seems like I have to think about background music overcutting my voice. Also, the cuts are a lot more noticeable. I also have to worry about lighting and stuff like that. So basically, I just want advice on the basics, rather than the content itself. Are the cuts too abrupt? Is the background music too loud/quiet? Any other general advice? Thanks in advance for the help!

AMVGuide
Showcasing AMVs since 2014
Org Profile

Re: Question about YouTube editing

Post by AMVGuide » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:58 am

Well, no complaints on my end. I think with vlogs it's mostly the content that makes the video; and not so much the editing. Or rather, if the audio sounds like it flows together, the video component isn't as important since people are more focused on the audio-- and often, people listen to vlogs while doing something else anyway. If you're just looking for general advice, I would suggest taking as long as you want to say whatever you need to say, because you can always cut out the silence. (I think that's what Philip DeFranco does; albeit he's got his own rapid paced vlogging style). Protip: If you want to do an audio podcast, Audacity has an effect for truncating silence.

Well, anyway... if you are just looking for things to do in your new "Life as a Jobless College Grad," make an AMV in between browsing jobs on LinkedIn :D

or OR make a vlog about AMVs!

or not :mrgreen:

AnimeDudde
Org Profile

Post by AnimeDudde » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:34 am

Haha man I haven't made an AMV for years! I really wish I could but it just takes too long and I don't have any inspiration right now.

Thanks for the advice though, I guess it's true content really is what matters. What about talking style though, do you think I need to be a bit more enthusiastic, and talk a bit faster maybe? I always feel like I'm talking monotone lol.

AMVGuide
Showcasing AMVs since 2014
Org Profile

Post by AMVGuide » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Well, I think everyone has their own talking style. And it's a very personal thing that makes you who you are. So, I don't suggest forcing enthusiasm; but rather, finding topics that you are naturally enthusiastic about. ofc, not everything needs to be entertainment-based either. In fact, most vlogs that I listen to come in the form of a search query anyway; where I just want the knowledge or a tutorial; and I appreciate a calm well-thought-out speaker, with dynamic kicks every once in a while.

So, I guess, if I was a vlogger, I would find out what topics are in demand-- but *also* lack in supply. It's the same way people make money by making websites: They find out what people are searching for; and see if there is a decent website about it already; if not, they make the site themselves to fill the demand. At that point, it 's just about tagging/titling your work towards the search queries, and inserting the information that they need to know. Most of the time, the website/vlog is just average-- but the content is there, and that's what matters because there aren't that many websites/vlogs about the topic to begin with.

Another approach is to find out what's already been done... and simply do it better. Maybe try doing a couple vlogs that way first, so you can see how others have become successful; then improve in areas that you think they may be lacking; or introduce a different viewpoint that wasn't addressed in the original. That way, you can submit a video response to the first vid, and piggy-back on it's popularity. (Although personally, I think the former approach is more valuable... but I guess it depends what you are trying to achieve as well :wink: )

AnimeDudde
Org Profile

Post by AnimeDudde » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestion AMVGuide! I guess it's good to be genuine so I won't try and force enthusiasm, I'm just hoping my style isn't completely monotone and is clear to understand. I guess it'll improve after my initial awkwardness. The second method seems interesting as well, I might give it a shot at the very least, couldn't hurt to try haha.

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:36 pm

As an audio guy, I'd suggest a decent lavalier mic. The closer pickup will help get rid of the "I recorded this in my room" reverb that so many YT videos have, and will also mean you don't have to worry about staying in a mic's pickup zone if you happen to get a bit animated as you talk. On the video side, I'd suggest adding some sort of backdrop if you want to make it look more professional. You CAN greenscreen and key something else in later, but then you really have to watch out on your lighting or it will look out of place. Something as simple as arranging items in the background depending on what you're doing can go a long way.
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

AnimeDudde
Org Profile

Post by AnimeDudde » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:05 pm

I was actually watching Green screen tutorials last night and I think I'll give it a shot for trying something fun at least. But yeah I actually never considered the background, maybe I should try and make it a bit more exciting haha. The only thing I'm worried about with the better mic is won't it also pic up more noise? For one of my videos I had my fan on but my laptop mic didn't catch it at all, which is a good thing, and I'm sure professional mics have better noise cancelling systems, but I feel like those would be way more expensive no?

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 pm

All mics require some tuning in order to get them to work correctly. In my early podcast videos for TWIAMVs I used an MXL mic with USB input. It picks up quite a bit depending on the sensitivity level I choose, so I spend some time before I actually record centering in the level I want to pick up, how loud I want to talk that day, as well as where I should stand/sit compared to the MIC and adjust where the pop screen is. The tuning helped greatly in getting the right level of pickup with the lowest amount of noise. I usually turn off my fans when I record but with 5 PCs all running in my room and being a fan of air cooling my room can get quite loud with just the PCs going.

I recently picked up a lapel mic to do better sound pickup using my new camera. the thing about lapels is that they are on the subject, directly attached to their collar. The close proximity to the subject allows for great pickup of voice with while keeping the pickup level low which greatly reduces the amount of room noise you pick up. Also, depending on the type of cardoid in the mic will also help remove room noise as well.

There are a lot of things to consider on the audio and even video side of things. Research your products, read reviews, check out shows and articles related to video/audio production, and just experiment with what works for you. Eventually you'll get yourself to a comfortable state.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”