This Is A Birth Control Discussion

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

This Is A Birth Control Discussion

Post by Kionon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:02 am

Perhaps I should start with a bit of a request: let's not have a repeat of what happened in Ultima's menses thread. And let's try to remain somewhat serious. Men are certainly welcome to comment if they have actual experience in these matters, but I'll primarily be interested in anecdotes/suggestions/recommendations from other women. Humor is welcome, but try not to let it get out of hand or veer into disrespect. Funny BC related comics are welcome as long as they adhere to the same guidelines.

As I've said before (although not in any great specifics), I'm essentially on hormonal birth control for reasons related to hormone balancing, subsequent need to prevent osteoporosis, and to affect/accentuate a more feminine appearance. It has also cleared up my acne, helped me with moods, dropped my aggression, and generally just made me a happier person over all. I have no uterus, so it's not actually for pregnancy prevention, but millions of women take BC for other reasons, including some of the reasons I have mentioned.

I'm looking at some modification of my regimen, and I was considering Yaz/Yasmin or an alternative, but I've been distinctly concerned about what I'm hearing in the media. Most notably this article from Ms. Magazine. Any BC I'd be interested in would need a progestin/progesterone in it, and I'm really trying to stick with the pill as opposed to patches or injections. I'm also trying to debate between multi-phasic examples, either bi-phasic or tri-phasic, or just go with the very simple non-phasic types.

There's only just so much doctors are willing to discuss, as they don't like comparing anecdotes both for issues surrounding confidentiality, but I also think because of liability, should they be seen as guaranteeing some specific result. Also, while I can find a bunch of random stuff on the internet, most of it is no different than what is described by my doctors. Very generic or overly statistical. And while there are various forums with threads/posts, and I might be wrong to do so, I generally put more faith in the denizens of the Org than I would in some community I haven't been a part of at all and am just randomly surfing for one specific reason.

Further disclaimer, nothing said here by myself or others constitutes any kind of medical advice whatsoever. There are risks in starting or changing any kind of medication, and you shouldn't be making medical decisions based on some forum on the internet anyway!

So ladies (and gents?) please commence with the talking. :awesome:
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: This Is A Birth Control Discussion

Post by ngsilver » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:09 am

The only experience I have is with ortho tri cyclen. No, not taking it myself, but as the significant other of someone taking it to regulate their cycle. The only thing I can really say about it is that it did a wonderful job of regulating her cycle, something that was extremely erratic up until she started taking it and it stopped the 2~4 week long time of the month. The downside however is it killed her libido and in her words turned her into a 'rampaging bitch.' She didn't like what it did to her mentally so she decided to stop. Thankfully her cycles are more regular now then they were before she stared and the mental changes were only temporary.

Just because of the way it effects your personality I wouldn't recommend it.
ImageImageImageImage

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: This Is A Birth Control Discussion

Post by Kionon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:50 am

ngsilver wrote:Just because of the way it effects your personality I wouldn't recommend it.
Well, in fairness, I am already on an ethinyl estradiol, I'm just investigating modifying my current regimen. And it's working to balance my moods. There's definitely a personality change, but in my case it has been for the better, by far. I'm just planning work in a progestin, and indeed that might cause me mood swings in the beginning as I adjust, and if I'm cycling (which I probably will have to in order to get the best benefits), then I will have be aware of troughs and peaks in my mood.

tl;dr personality changes are the name of the game, just so far I like this personality better than the previous one.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General Discussion”