Berserk: The Golden Age Arc

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
guy07
Org Profile

Re: Berserk: The Golden Age Arc

Post by guy07 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:34 am

It passes as a success in my books. The plot moves a little quick, but I guess that can't be helped. The manga is crazy long and isn't even finished yet. I wish they had only done CG for the environments, but oh well, it wasn't that bad and the character movements were actually a bit impressive for CG.

At the beginning ..
Spoiler :
They had puck and other characters from the later arcs in the intro. Guess they really plan to eventually do the whole thing. Score. :D

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:59 am

guy07 wrote: At the beginning ..
Spoiler :
They had puck and other characters from the later arcs in the intro. Guess they really plan to eventually do the whole thing. Score. :D
oh snap, I was distracted during the intro, didn't even notice. Sweeeet!, I'm guessing they'll add the black swordsman arc on right after they finish the golden age arc as that is where it occurs chronologically. Damn, this is like waiting for the hellsing OVA's all over again.

Haus Haberdasher
Org Profile

Post by Haus Haberdasher » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 pm

I watched it the other day with a friend who has neither read the manga nor watched the original series. The abundance of CG threw me off a bit, but I'm glad the movie has the attention to detail that's present in the manga. The plot did move a bit fast, which I didn't overly mind, but I did have to fill in a few unexplained details for my friend. I fangirled out during the opening because HOLY SHIT THE SKULL KNIGHT.

Overall I liked it. I can't wait for the DVDs to be released in North America.

evangelibuns
Org Profile

Post by evangelibuns » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:52 pm

I didn't like it very much. Visually it was pretty bland for a theatrical, and a big part of the anime series' appeal for me was the music.

It was very unique and set it apart from other fantasy/medieval shows and movies. Golden Age's just follows what's become the norm for this type of movie for the last decade or so, all bombastic complete with choirs, everything you'd expect for an epic. But it feels empty.

angelchanx3
Org Profile

Post by angelchanx3 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Shitty cgi.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01 pm

The second Berserk movie was supposed to be released on DVD/Blue Ray on 5 december yet I can't find it for sale anywhere. Anyone know where I can purchase it? online that is

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:51 pm

So I finally got a hold of a copy. The second movie was definitely better than the first one, more action, the animation improved as well, the characters don't look as stiff as in the first one. There were a few minor scenes missing (such as Griffith getting rid of the queen and nobles who opposed him) but on the whole this is probably the best adaption of manga to anime that I can think of (where the anime is either just as good as or even surpasses the source material in many areas).

the only bad thing is, we have to wait for the fricken 3rd movie now, which is probably going to be another 6 months before it makes blueray, and it is going to be EPIC! The previews at the end made me go nuts. oh and we got a quick glimpse of Puck too! yea!

blaku92
Org Profile

Post by blaku92 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 am

irriadin wrote:I seriously cannot wait for all three of these films to be released. I've had this amazing vision inside my head of an epic AMV using Berserk for AGES now, and with the movies, I can finally do it justice.
YES. I look forward to it. Hopefully we don't have the same plan.. I might have to start one soon.
Jasta85 wrote:The second movie was definitely better than the first one, more action, the animation improved as well, the characters don't look as stiff as in the first one. There were a few minor scenes missing (such as Griffith getting rid of the queen and nobles who opposed him) but on the whole this is probably the best adaption of manga to anime that I can think of (where the anime is either just as good as or even surpasses the source material in many areas).
Much much better than the first film. I'm totally fine with the CGI/battlefield armor this time around since it was handled really well, but I wish the faces were always done with traditional animation. I really don't think the trilogy is doing much for Griffith's character development. His ambition is just kind of left out because of the missing scenes. It's really more focused on Guts, but there's NO WAY any animated version of Berserk could surpass the Manga IMO.

"I've dated uglier girls than you for breakfast."

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 am

so, 3rd movie is out, definitely well done but I was just a tad disappointed as it skipped out on a lot of cool scenes like the assassins that the king sends after them in the sewers as well as the monkey demon apostle and the fight between zodd and the skull knight. The original series skipped those as well, was really looking forward to those fights :(

that said the actual eclipse ceremony was really well done and the overall animation has improved again. Now we just need to wait another 6 months for the next movie, really want to see the black swordsman arc

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Jasta85 wrote:really want to see the black swordsman arc
This, so much.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”