Shingeki no Kyojin (manga)

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Shingeki no Kyojin (manga)

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Manga Helpers wrote:Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Elen vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.
This thread is for discussing the manga. To discuss the anime, use this thread instead.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin (manga)

Post by pacotacoshell » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:19 pm

WOOOO, I can finally get all this manga angst off my chest

Ch. 46
Spoiler :
Okay, seriously. I had the same exact reaction as Eren when Reiner was talking like everything was normal. STOP BEING CREEPY. JUST STOP.

and it seems that the monkey titan is gonna be the key to something big. I have a feeling that Eren's dad is the one that's pulling all the strings with the human titans. GOD, TOO MANY QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERING ;___;

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 pm

moving my manga spoiler posts to here
Spoiler :
I'm guessing Eren's father was part of the Wall Cult, or at least part of the cult that wants to free the titans within the walls, which is probably the same with Bertholdt's, Reiner's, and Annie's parents. Why they want to free them, who knows. Maybe to have them aid the fight against the titans or eradicate humanity, I dunno.

The difference is, is that Eren's father was scouting Mikasa to be a titan shifter rather than Eren, and that abduction thing was planned out so she can be conditioned to hate humanity like Annie. What Eren's father didn't anticipate was Eren saving Mikasa, and when he did, Eren's father realized there was still hope for humanity, and that's when he chose Eren to be a Titan shifter, so he may have some hope of saving humanity from the titans. This goes in contrast with Annie's father, who is the opposite of Mikasa. Where Eren's father has hope for humanity, Annie's father has lost it, thus wanting her to hate and destroy it.

Ymir, on the other hand, was probably one of the first titan shifters created, causing her small stature. Her creators were probably shamed that her titan form was small and frail looking and probably abandoned her amongst the chaos so she may die along the other titans. That's probably why she relates to Christa so much, that they were both abandoned and left to die.

Bertholdt and Reiner (and maybe Annie) probably knew they were other titan shifters but didn't know who. When Annie was captured, they probably realized they had to abort their mission and kidnapped Eren and Ymir just to be sure where they stand after realizing who they are.
Spoiler :
Well, after rereading some of the chapters again, it appears their objective was to capture Eren without blowing their cover. Well, maybe one of their objectives. And if they wanted to free the wall titans, it'd probably be to eradicate humanity form the sounds of it. I'm guessing they're after Eren because they had an idea his father may have abandoned the plan and wasn't sure if he used the titan shifter serum or whom he used it on. They probably figured it was Eren, but they had to be sure. something like that at least.

Also, another possibility why Annie, Bertholdt and Reiner (and possibly Ymir) became titan shifters for a different reason altogether, but Ymir went berserk and ended up rampaging the town and afterwards that's when their parents told them to hate and/or eradicate humanity instread of going on what they became titan shifters for. I'm also guessing that the village they're from is where the titan shifter serum was originated (or improved if Ymir is one of the first titan shifters) by augmenting the virus, if it is indeed a virus.

Another thing that's bugging me is the sasquatch titan. I can only imagine he is one of the originators of the virus (if it is a virus) from wherever it originated since it seems it was his first time contacting the humans inside the walls.
Under Construction

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:51 am

yeah, the latest chapter didn't exactly answer much
Spoiler :
it's safe to assume that Ymir was not plotting with Bertholdt and Reiner. The Sasquatch Titan, on the other hand, is still quite a wild card. Why did Bert and Reiner seem ecstatic when it showed up? Do they know it? is it from their village? Why did Reiner know that the titans with them in the forest aren't like the titans that arrived with the Sasquatch Titan who were able to attack at night? If it is from their village, why did it speak a different language and didn't know what 3D gear was?

It also seems Bert and Reiner wants to gather the (available) titan shifters to their village for some reason, and I was gonna guess if it's wall cult related, but it's kinda hard to tell after that conversation when it seems they're more in league with the Sasquatch Titan. I mean, the Wall Cult may have something to do with the Sasquatch titan and/or vice versa, but it's kinda hard to pull those conclusions together, unless perhaps Eren's father has something to do with it, but I doubt it.

It seems everyone has a liking towards Christa too, and apart from Ymir, it's hard to gauge if they know if she's (outcasted) from royalty and how many secrets she may or may not know. Here's hoping for more Christa and/or basements in the next chapter.
Under Construction

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:24 am

Well that was intense :uhoh:
Spoiler :
So apparently Ymir is over 60 years old? SO CONFUSING D= Too many questions right now and all I can do is pray for the next chapter. :nose:

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:53 am

well july's chapter did explain something new about the Titians
Spoiler :
some Titans like Ymir 'changed back' to human while originally being one of the wild ones. Poor Historia she is probably scared now after being eaten. They make a good yuri couple :awesome:

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:30 pm

OropherZero wrote:well july's chapter did explain something new about the Titians
Spoiler :
some Titans like Ymir 'changed back' to human while originally being one of the wild ones. Poor Historia she is probably scared now after being eaten. They make a good yuri couple :awesome:
Spoiler :
So, it's kind of obvious all the regular titans are just regular people who got turned into titans, but are those people in the titan's bodies somewhere? or did their bodies turn into titans themselves? because out of all the titans they've killed they've never found a human body in the neck aside from the special types.

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Spoiler :
I just realized that, at least for the titan shifters, they transform into pilots.They basically are mahou shoujo/mecha hybrids with flesh instead of robots and without the frilly transformation.
Jasta85 wrote:
OropherZero wrote:well july's chapter did explain something new about the Titians
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
So, it's kind of obvious all the regular titans are just regular people who got turned into titans, but are those people in the titan's bodies somewhere? or did their bodies turn into titans themselves? because out of all the titans they've killed they've never found a human body in the neck aside from the special types.
Spoiler :
I imagine the titan body starts growing around the person via photosynthesis or something, and when they slice off part of the neck, the cut isn't deep enough to identify the pilot, but deep enough to hit vital parts of the pilot. Afterwards, the pilot burns up/dissolves with the titan due to the amount of heat given off. Something to that effect at least.

edit: now that I think about it, I'm not really sure about that since Sasha was hacking away at a smaller titan who looked like a really tall person and also shot/stabbed him in the eyes with arrows. Maybe the axe was too dull, but the arrows should have hit the guys skull and should've been fatal hitting brains and all. Unless the titan body can somehow regenerate the pilot's head and only need a connection at the pilot's nape of the neck, or something of the sort.
Under Construction

EimiJ7
Org Profile

Post by EimiJ7 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Spoiler :
I think from what we know about Ymir and from the fact that Titans attacked without a breach in the wall (and remember there was that guy's mom who had probably turned into a Titan), I can say that the Titans (maybe not all, but certainly a good chunk of them) were once human. But how and why? and what do those religious wierdos know about it? Also, I agree with paco that I think Eren dad has something to do with this, or at the very least there are going to be a lot of mysteries solved in that basement.
And now the biggest question of all!
why does it only update once a month? TT^TT

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Well, that chapter was heavy as hell. Feels everywhere from all the characters :cry:

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”