Org Profile

Re: Combing

Post by x265 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:44 pm

“The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.”

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:10 pm

I took a look at your samples and have some suggestions and apologize for overlooking them when posting my previous reply. First off, as it's already been said, since your source is soft telecine you SHOULD be using force film. To really figure out what's going on, running ignore pulldown flags will give you the raw video (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR REGULAR ENCODING!), and based on the clips you uploaded those combing artifacts are in the raw video. Feel free to use check one of the full episodes with this method to see if there are any leftover interlaced frames in the footage, however I get the feeling those artifacts were a result of the footage originally being interlaced, then inverse telecined improperly before being encoded for DVD. As I stated before, the condition of your clips are the exact same as the hard interlaced version on the release I have (same frames have the exact same combing artifacts).

Also, as Mister Hatt mentioned, you should probably be using the latest version of DMPGDec.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

x265
Org Profile

Post by x265 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 pm

frames 47015-47412 are blended even after viewing in ignore pulldown mode.
“The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.”

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:26 pm

NO NO NO, never EVER use Force FILM for soft-telecine unless it is 100% FILM! That is NOT the case here. You need to use Ignore Pulldown and then figure out which parts are not telecined. You have about 10,000 frames which are interlaced (but possibly coded progressive) that you need to find. Use trim() in avs to filter those as necessary (depends on progressive vs interlace coding how you do it) but the rest of your content should be relatively simple.

For the frame range above (47015-47412), is that frame blending or field blending? Check it with separatefields().selecteven() or something. Field blending is the worst possible situation at this point, frame blending is relatively ok to fix.

PS: I have a tool which actually outputs the ranges of pulldown/interlacism, but I just rewrote it to be platform agnostic so you'll need to send me a d2v so I can test a bit if you want.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:19 am

Mister Hatt wrote:NO NO NO, never EVER use Force FILM for soft-telecine unless it is 100% FILM!
It really depends on the source as thing such as post production added studio logos before or after a movie can throw off the percentage from being 100% film, or errors in the mastering. Really it comes down to evaluating the source when it comes to how you are going to handle it, however sometimes a source with 99.9% or higher works with force film. At the end of the day it comes down to properly and carefully analyzing your source and deciding which method works best for handling it properly.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:42 am

As l33tmeatwad said, the parts which aren't soft-telecine in sources with about 95% film and up are likely credits in the EDs, studio logos at the beginning/end and such. This means that for AMV needs (he is posting in an AMV forum, hey!) he can safely ignore the problem, since he'd be using the creditless versions of the op/ed sequences to begin with.

Of course this isn't something you could afford to do if you need to actually encode the source straight up, but why ask here, then, when there are doom9 and doom10?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 am

There is a misunderstanding here. I meant content which is ACTUALLY 100% FILM, not whatever random percentage your indexer reports. Related, the OP's content clearly has non-FILM sections which are not logos, credits, or anything else similar.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:11 am

Mister Hatt wrote:There is a misunderstanding here. I meant content which is ACTUALLY 100% FILM, not whatever random percentage your indexer reports. Related, the OP's content clearly has non-FILM sections which are not logos, credits, or anything else similar.
Where are you getting this information about the OP? It's not posted in this thread, did he send you some file via PM? It would be nice if you share this info if that is the case!

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:24 pm

He talks about combed and interlaced sections, not just aliasing. Also I have the d2v.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Mister Hatt wrote:He talks about combed and interlaced sections, not just aliasing. Also I have the d2v.
The interlaced talk must have been via PMs because he has not mention interlacing at all in the thread (except for mentioning it was soft telecined). This would have been good information to share a couple of posts ago, keep track of where you get info and don't just assume everyone knows all the details you acquired outside of the thread.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”