Round 1 Results - Complete!

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: Round 1 Results - Complete!

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:16 am

Figured I might as well post before the tin foil hats come out and people start throwing the "drama" tag around. |:>

On the subject of video game footage, originally it was not allowed. This was primarily because 1) I didn't think anyone would actually use any and 2) in case you missed the VCAs, it's a bitch to confirm. Yes, the rule was amended after the contest actually started because someone came to me and said "Hey, I want to use X in my video." This person wasn't even Fall_Child42. If Dj_Ultima was honestly planning on using video game footage for every single round from start to finish, that's actually something I'd love to see and I sincerely apologize if that rule was the single deterrent that caused her to go elsewhere. If she wants to sign up next year and do that, fuckin' AWESOME. :up:

As for the rankings, I'll be totally frank when I say that we're not always going to agree with what makes it in and what doesn't. There have been quite a few rounds where I've been calculating the results and had the reaction of "Really? Not what I would've gone with but ok." Personally, I wouldn't have put either FadingSundown or Fall_Child42 into the next round. Don't get me wrong, both videos have their positives and negatives but that's my personal opinion. And luckily, my personal opinion means jack squat in this competition so you ain't my mom! I DO WHAT I WANT.

In case you guys don't remember, last year we had a video with dolphins jumping out of lava to a song that was edited in a backwards fashion make it from round 1 to 2. Getting creative and making something that works in such a short period of time can really give you an edge on the competition. I'm not saying that everyone should start making videos about anime characters shitting rainbows just to try and get a leg up on the competition but occasionally a risk (and in this case it was a MAJOR) pays off. I still won't release the individual rankings each judge provides but when I look at them, they really do make sense. I know you guys are just seeing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc...but believe me when I say that a video that gets 2nd or 3rd isn't ranked that way by all the judges. It's the magic of averages :sorcerer:

The judges leave comments on the videos about their thoughts each round. If you want to know what they had to say about your video you're more than welcome to PM me and I'll shoot them over to you. They're not novels but if you actually go over them you'll see they have some great pointers here and there.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 am

I see my attempt to cause drama failed because I did it wrong... oh well...

Seriously, go for the PM thing if you don't understand the judges rankings on your video. It really does help put it into perspective and it's like a free beta test! I can't speak for every round and every video, but at least for my own it really showed they are not arbitrarily putting videos in certain places. I'm not saying they would, but it does prove there was quite some thought put into the rankings.
ImageImageImageImage

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Fall Child's vid is the only vid I will remember from group F, others are just fucking uninteresting plus, for some of them, just bad. Stop raging guys, If u want to talk about editing skills only, that was low. Also, none of you considered the dark side of the song, it was just dance or/and romance, you have the right not to love Rihanna but, at least, know what you're working with.
So yeah, as everybody, FC made "just" a decent vid with some lyrics synch but, instead of trying to make a classical upbeat romance vid, he put in place a giant parody with video games and that is what makes the difference.

So, yeah, imho, he deserves to be in the 4 qualified, nott necesarily the 1st though.

Just in case : Luna showed me the videos telling me ranking was bad, I told her to shup up : if I was a judge, FC would be in the list too (nerd)

Btw, stop taking everything that seriously, quickening is meant to be funny first of all, though my whole comment is serious but I'm bored to see people underestimate parody videos, they're always seen as bad, it's way more risky to make this than your fucking lovulovu stuffs

My 2 cents~~

AmvLuna
Org Profile

Post by AmvLuna » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:26 pm

everyone has his point of view, but it's true i don't like parody most of the time, i just can't call this an amv

but i did not say it yet so CONGRATS EVERYONE and now time for the second round :bear:

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Just in case, I'm just saying FC's vid deserves to be in. Don't remember what video which one made so whoever is complaining, I can't say it's normal he didn't make it. Just saying it's normal FC did ^^

[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Post by [madaraxD] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:34 pm

I dont agree with some results neither, but like MimS said the is for fun too (even if im competitive as hell XD), so congratz to everyone |:>

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:09 pm

I think the real question on everyone's mind is....why did that girl in Madara's video stomp on her own dreams? She was so happy and then she just CRUSHED them with her own foot. :cry:

The dancing was obviously there to mask the pain of destroying your own dreams.

lik if u cry evrytiem

[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Post by [madaraxD] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:I think the real question on everyone's mind is....why did that girl in Madara's video stomp on her own dreams? She was so happy and then she just CRUSHED them with her own foot. :cry:

The dancing was obviously there to mask the pain of destroying your own dreams.

lik if u cry evrytiem
Finally someone understand the true story behind those dance scenes :awesome:
Spoiler :
:rofl: Actually i was busy as hell <_< well, lazy too, so i made my video in the last 2-3 days editing..1-2 hs per day (? so it was rlly rushed x), i even told you that i was thinking in edit the song from other group and try to get in there (cuz i didnt liked my song XD) some days before the deadline so yeah :sweat:

AngelDragoon
Org Profile

Post by AngelDragoon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:24 pm

I don't think anyone really minds that Fall_Child made it in; most people probably find his video charming and deserved a high ranking. Personally I think he gets bonus points for the nostalgia. :up: I think the problem here is the handling of the rule change itself. It was not announced anywhere that the rule was taken out, and while it could be said, "You should have just looked yourself", it doesn't even say it in the addendum portion. I remember reading the rule, and Dj_Ultimate's response to it, so I believed that it remained, (and a lot of other people must have as well).

Fall_Child said it himself that he looked again and didn't see it, so this isn't on him. Yet, it isn't on the other contestants who are confused, either. While the rules state that they can be changed at any time for any reason, the reason why it was changed was never stated until now, making it seem like it was potentially altered for the advantage of one or two contestants, (which could snowball into other ideas). I'm not saying it was, I'm saying that the concern isn't necessarily unfounded.

In other words, if anything else changes, you may want to make it more apparent to save from the confusion. :beer:

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Since it's a lot to retype, I'll just copy/paste from the chat :P (With cuts made for non-relevant stuff)

I'll just put it under a spoiler because it's really not incredibly important to read.
Spoiler :
[8:52:21 AM] Yue: Honestly, that change was done a while ago. Like I said, well before Todd made his video. Kisanzi advised against it but I really wanted to see some GMVs, so that's all on me.

[8:54:15 AM] Yue: I didn't consider it a big enough thing to go back and make a huge deal about, but I'll make a note of it for now on.
[8:54:32 AM] Yue: I often go through and correct things in the rules that I see were wrong. Grammar, dates, wording, etc...
[8:54:47 AM] Yue: It was such a tiny thing that only 1 person made a stink about so I didn't consider it to be that major.
[8:54:53 AM] Yue: But I've been proven wrong.
[8:55:02 AM] Yue: And that, I take responsibility for.

[8:55:39 AM] Ileia: Well yue
[8:56:03 AM] Ileia: You also posted four days after ultimas post
[8:56:22 AM] Ileia: And said there were some rule changes
[8:56:32 AM] Ileia: And for people to pay attention
[8:56:40 AM] Yue: That was more than likely when I did it because it was a fucking while ago.
[8:57:11 AM] Yue: Like I said, I didn't think twice about it because 1) it was so long ago and 2) I didn't think it was a big deal.
But tl;dr, yes, I change the rule about 4 days after posting it but I did so while correcting other things regarding signups. I personally didn't think it was a major deal but I was wrong. That was my bad and I take full responsibility. Next time I'll be sure to outline each and every change. :D

And if anyone has any problems regarding videos and such where they believe DQs or rule breaking has been commited, all I ask is that you come to me after the video packs have released and not after the results go up. It makes it a bit more difficult to address once everything has been said and done. :sweat:

That all being said, I greatly look forward to all the GMVs you guys make. :up:

Return to “The Quickening 2013”