Externalize (Big Contest 2013 - 1 place)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
RenaSun
Org Profile

Re: Externalize (Big Contest 2013)

Post by RenaSun » Sun May 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments) I’m very pleased that you liked it <3
pan_dbgt01 wrote:Was this mostly masking?
Yes, it was. The process was really terrible, approximately every scene was changed :sweat:

imp
Org Profile

Re: Externalize (Big Contest 2013)

Post by imp » Mon May 27, 2013 3:26 am

This was really nice! good job on the masks! seemed so real! loved it.
Finally complete and up-to-date:
http://amv.impdevelopment.eu

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Re: Externalize (Big Contest 2013 - 1 place)

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 pm

A well deserved win. I really LOVE this XD
Last edited by pan_dbgt01 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu May 30, 2013 2:09 pm

While I can tell a lot of work went into it, when it comes to cross overs you need to do more work to make them look like they belong together. Raw masking with no attempt to really make the two sources look like they belong together crated an awkward feel throughout most of the video, perhaps you could work on color correction before working on another cross over. I would also suggest picking sources that at least look like they belong together, the character art differences were very jarring and gave the video a very disjointed feel. Also, watch your angles, parts like at 1:30 where the girl has her head titled as you aligned the other character with her at a very bad angle stand out as very poor design and you should either mask out the background or use a better angle for both characters. While all videos have their own flaws, cross over videos that have characters on screen at the same time tend to suffer more from sloppy editing and poor color correction as opposed to ones that do not attempt to put them on screen at the same time. With all that said, you do have an interested way of telling a story and that is a great skill to have when making videos. I look forward to future videos you put out.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

nihilant01
Org Profile

Post by nihilant01 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:44 am

Huge work, I admire such diligence, and I really like it too :up:.

RenaSun
Org Profile

Post by RenaSun » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:Raw masking with no attempt to really make the two sources look like they belong together
l33tmeatwad wrote:perhaps you could work on color correction
what is color correction for you? thick layer of looks, mojo and so on? I didn’t want to use them, I wanted to save the maximum of original colors, so using of curves, levels, masks, solids, OF helped me here a lot.
l33tmeatwad wrote:the character art differences were very jarring
first of all I wanted to use character, who is really older then girl and he should do paperworks, so Hattori from Bakuman was perfect for my idea. secondly, how do you think about this
this is original Chihayafuru character. is he suitable?
l33tmeatwad wrote:parts like at 1:30 where the girl has her head titled as you aligned the other character with her at a very bad angle
I don’t think so.

And thanks everyone again :)

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:30 am

RenaSun wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:Raw masking with no attempt to really make the two sources look like they belong together
l33tmeatwad wrote:perhaps you could work on color correction
what is color correction for you? thick layer of looks, mojo and so on? I didn’t want to use them, I wanted to save the maximum of original colors, so using of curves, levels, masks, solids, OF helped me here a lot.
First off, it seems you don't really understand what color correction REALLY is. I know a lot of editors think color correction is skewing all the colors to one shade or something ridiculous like that, but what i mean by color correction is really selecting one of the sources and matching the color tones of that show. The overall color tone of the different sources were obvious and could have used some adjusting. It really shows with the different white level balance that the different shows have causing a variance in skin tones and the whites in the scene not matching well (making the foreign character(s) look out of place). When done properly, no one should be able to tell color correction was done at all, but when not done or done improperly it really stands out like a sore thumb.
RenaSun wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:the character art differences were very jarring
first of all I wanted to use character, who is really older then girl and he should do paperworks, so Hattori from Bakuman was perfect for my idea. secondly, how do you think about this
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... ishida.jpg
this is original Chihayafuru character. is he suitable?
When you show that picture it doesn't appear as if he belongs, but there overall art style of that character in the TV series does match that of the other characters. Keep in mind the art style of a character can vary based on the source (aka, the manga version may look slightly different than it's anime counterpart). With that said, the character you placed in has more of a sharp art style, while the other show tends to have more round, soft style characters, the overall art styles are just very different and don't work well together.
RenaSun wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:parts like at 1:30 where the girl has her head titled as you aligned the other character with her at a very bad angle
I don’t think so.
You don't think so? Re-evaluate the scene, the male character is standing vertical, but the female when viewed in relation to the ground is clearly being viewed from a camera angle above her head and to her left. These are things you need to pay attention to when adding foreign things to a scene as to not create an awkward sense of something not belonging to the viewers.

I know I can give some harsh reviews, but it's for your benefit, I would like to see those in the AMV community improve and get better so I try to be as honest as possible when giving feedback. Overall I can see a lot of potential here if you just take the steps necessary to fix flaws in future videos.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

SeNniN
Org Profile

Post by SeNniN » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:28 am

Awesome job, RenaSun! Congrats on the 1st place. :]
I didn't even realize that you used different sources when I first saw this, since I'm not familiar with any of the sources used here.
l33tmeatwad wrote:Also, watch your angles, parts like at 1:30 where the girl has her head titled as you aligned the other character with her at a very bad angle stand out as very poor design and you should either mask out the background or use a better angle for both characters.
hmm.. actually, it looks fine. I know what you mean there, but it seems more like she's slightly tilting her head over when she's talking to him.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:40 am

Glad people are still talking about this. Shows you how good it really is :D

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Paper Arata coming to life was probably the best part of the AMV, it was just so beautifully done I got chills from watching it. :up: That being said, I do wish the story/concept of the AMV was more focused on that aspect rather than a super realistic story of a girl drawing manga and winning a competition. Not saying the story was bad or anything, in fact it was excellently portrayed. Just for me, it wasn't...very interesting. Like it lacked....something emotional? Something that draws me in and thinking "wow, that's just incredible" and I don't mean in terms of editing skill because it's obvious enough from this AMV that you have plenty of that but a story where it makes me "feel" something. And I didn't really get that feeling except for when the paper character came to life. The angle at 3:18 also felt a tiny bit strange and where the others have mentioned Chihaya's head being slightly larger than proportion, though aside from that it was a pretty fantastic AMV. Great job! :mrgreen: I especially LOVED the facial scenes from the anime where she was playing Karuta against the Queen (1:08, 2:16 to name a few) that you integrated in to the video to show the intensity of when she was drawing manga, that was so awesome! :up:

Oh and congrats on 1st place, you deserve it. :)

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”