Yatta

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Yatta

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon May 20, 2013 11:46 am

x265 wrote:How do i ivtc without using pattern guidance? :(
The more automated way using TIVTC and some of it's more advanced options. It really depends on how anal you want to be about the IVTC accuracy.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

x265
Org Profile

Post by x265 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 am

I use TIVTC sometimes. I would like to learn how to IVTC through yatta.
“The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.”

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon May 20, 2013 12:00 pm

x265 wrote:I use TIVTC sometimes. I would like to learn how to IVTC through yatta.
Then prepare for a long journey, there is no easy "guide" to learn how to use it, just takes time and effort to master it.

x265
Org Profile

Post by x265 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm following the guide by "TheRyuu". I'm having a hard time in telling what is causing match failure in a particular section.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 pm

x265 wrote:I'm following the guide by "TheRyuu". I'm having a hard time in telling what is causing match failure in a particular section.
This is why YATTA allows you to manually adjust things. Some source material wasn't mastered correctly while on others the interlacing on the frame is hard to detect (only lip flips on a tiny part of the screen so it makes it harder to read the patterns). There could be a variety of things that cause these types of issues and the solution may just be manually fixing that section through YATTA.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue May 21, 2013 3:13 am

A guide can only help so much, you need someone to sit down with you and teach. As for manually IVTCing, all you need to do is step through the video setting boundaries and fixing scenes as you come across them. It's faster because you only need 1 pass, or 2 if you're anal about checking. If you use PG you go back and forth all over the place to make sure you didn't miss anything. Generally match failure happens because metrics are only so good and the only way around it is to do it manually. Note that if PG gives a match failure, it leaves the default matches to whatever TFM suggested, so it's often correct either way. You might need to manually fix decimation though just in case, although TDecimate is quite clever on it's own.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue May 21, 2013 3:13 am

Oh also I poked Ryuuchin to leave a comment, maybe he will after he resets his password w

TheRyuu
Org Profile

Post by TheRyuu » Tue May 21, 2013 4:03 am

Mister Hatt wrote:If you use PG you go back and forth all over the place to make sure you didn't miss anything.
It's technically only one pass. You just have to double check it which should only take a minute or two.
Mister Hatt wrote:Generally match failure happens because metrics are only so good and the only way around it is to do it manually.
More specifically a matching failure happens because PG couldn't find a pattern who's vmetric was <= telecide's vmetric.
Mister Hatt wrote:Note that if PG gives a match failure, it leaves the default matches to whatever TFM suggested, so it's often correct either way. You might need to manually fix decimation though just in case, although TDecimate is quite clever on it's own.
Just keep in mind that if you run PG then ignore everything and don't touch the video you're probably worse off than if you just used tfm+tdecimate on it's own. The reason for this is PG does require a small amount of checking after the fact just to make sure it didn't screw anything up, it's not infallible.
x265 wrote:How do i fix too short warning in yatta?
Settings -> Global Settings -> Uncheck "Show too short warning"
(protip: You can pretty safely ignore them all)
x265 wrote:How do i ivtc without using pattern guidance? :(
tfm().tdecimate(mode=1)

Anything remotely modern is likely soft-telecine, meaning there's only one pattern for the entire episode or movie. This makes yatta mostly superficial since it's generally very hard for TIVTC to NOT get it right in that case (soft telecine) and if you specify the d2v to tfm then it will almost certainly get it right (for dvd's at the very least).

Just keep in mind that learning how to use yatta and attempting to use yatta with no clue as to what you're doing for something which others may or may not see are two different things. You pursue the former while using tfm and tdecimate to avoid the latter.

x265
Org Profile

Post by x265 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:20 am

What are the prerequisites needed for using this tool?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri May 24, 2013 1:46 am

About 3 months of someone else's time and a thorough understanding of how the different types of telecine and interlacing actually work. Solid video, compression, and frame coding theory helps too.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”