Zarx264gui3 beta test

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Zarx264gui3 beta test

Post by mirkosp » Tue May 21, 2013 5:14 am

There *is* an existing --device patch. Google brought me here, I'm not sure if it has the most up-to-date version of the patch, but I know that a while back Firesledge used a device patch in a x264 build he made and it worked as intended.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 am

I'm not suggesting settings for all devices as currently zarx264gui doesn't even have all the levels as options in that dropdown. What I'm suggesting is just an extra drop down that will set a few limits so that it will produce and encode compatible with most mainstream hardware devices with a small variety of choices. While it's ideal to be able to max out some settings, the PS3 from what I remember supports more reference frames than the 360, but if you encoded by the 360 specs it would work on both and most mainstream Blu-ray players. While you could probably squeeze a bit more quality out of optimizing for the PS3, the difference would be negligible. Using safe settings like HP@L4.1 w/ Ref=3 & bframes=3 would work on almost all devices that support 1080p. Most devices that only support 720p would be fine with just HP@L3.1 without any additional restrictions as I know for a fact that the original Galaxy S, iPad, & iPhone 4 support video encoded to this spec (iPhone 4 most likely gained support for HP through an update). Having like "PS3, 360, iPad 3/4, iPhone 5, New Android", "iPad 1/2, iPhone 4, Old Android" and then a "Legacy device" setting would probably be enough as a catch all if configured in the middle ground.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 pm

The issue wasn't that the settings were wrong, it was more they were unconfirmed. It was decided that "good guesses" were not acceptable for actual enforced restrictions. See IRC logs I guess, it wasn't in debate very long though. Most encoder GUIs have their own settings you can jack anyway.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:29 pm

For the level 3.1, how many reference and bframes are to be supported?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:36 am

Zarxrax wrote:For the level 3.1, how many reference and bframes are to be supported?
The limitation for bframes isn't really documented and tends to be device specific, but I know most devices don't like more than 3-6 for HD material...reference frames vary based on resolution as documented in the h264/AVC wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:45 am

Right. I was planning to limit to 3 reference frames and 3 bframes for the level 4.1 option.
For 3.0/baseline, bframes are not supported, and I have put 1 reference frame.

I'm not really sure what benefit there would be for a level 3.1 option. If I keep the references and bframes at 3, wouldn't this essentially be almost the same as the level 4.1 option?
I mean, I know the levels are quite different, but as long as x264 isn't strictly enforcing anything, then just so far as my own implementation goes I'm saying I dont think there would be any difference.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I'm not really sure what benefit there would be for a level 3.1 option. If I keep the references and bframes at 3, wouldn't this essentially be almost the same as the level 4.1 option?
Devices read the level and won't play it if it is not flagged with the level "it supports", so adding 3.1 gives users the freedom to encode for devices such as the iPad 1/2, iPhone 4(S), and most older Android devices (for resolutions up to 1280x720). Level 4.1 added 1080p, that's the main difference between them (and also allows more reference frames and a higher framerate for 720p).

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Do you know if most of those devices support 3 references and bframes, or should I go with something more conservative?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Do you know if most of those devices support 3 references and bframes, or should I go with something more conservative?
All of those support at LEAST that, so that would be a fairly safe setting (speaking generally, as I can't account for ALL andorid devices that support 3.1). It should also be noted, while some devices (such as the iPad 1 & iPhone 4) only mention supporting Main Profile in their specs list, they actually do support High Profile, so that should be safe to use as well.

jakkor
Org Profile

Post by jakkor » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Does zeranoe version http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ works with zarx

Return to “Video & Audio Help”