Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - WINNERS POSTED!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Post by dokidoki » Tue May 14, 2013 10:24 pm

xstylus wrote:We decided to rename, redefine, and rebalance two categories: Comedy/Humor, and Fun/Dance.
The revised category names are "Fun/Humor", and "Upbeat/Dance".
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Doki Doki said Comedy was on life support many years back.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue May 14, 2013 10:29 pm

dokidoki wrote:Image
ImageImage

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 pm

wow.. Even Doki reads this :shock:

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed May 15, 2013 1:43 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:wow.. Even Doki reads this :shock:

Vlad
Everyone enjoys the AX thread...
Spoiler :
DRAMA :ying:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed May 15, 2013 2:24 am

Just a note to ya'll: This year's AMV Chef theme and sources will be announced later today (May 15th) in the AMV Room thread.

Epicness is assured. :)
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed May 15, 2013 7:29 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
xstylus wrote:I agree. I'll repeat what I said earlier: "It balanced things out tremendously." None of the entries in this category have anything to feel sorry for. It's a good category and I'm very pleased with how it came out.
I'm not saying the videos would be bad, just saying straight up comedy tends to trump at most cons...although from that statement I'm starting to think there weren't any real strong straight up comedy videos this year.
From an audience entertainment perspective, I can see the appeal of having a good comedy video or two compete directly with other good videos even if the outcome is pretty much guaranteed... The alternative is either not having enough entries to have a category or allowing entries in that are so far below the level of the rest of the contest that it reflects poorly on the contest as a whole. It's more entertaining when the sacrifices can put up a fight.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 am

Not sure if the actual editors work so that their stuff can be sacrifices putting up a good fight, but if they wouldn't be in the finals otherwise then something's better than nothing. But usually people don't compete for that. Most want to win though I'd be content with finals since it'd be a first for me :P

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed May 15, 2013 9:46 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
xstylus wrote:I agree. I'll repeat what I said earlier: "It balanced things out tremendously." None of the entries in this category have anything to feel sorry for. It's a good category and I'm very pleased with how it came out.
I'm not saying the videos would be bad, just saying straight up comedy tends to trump at most cons...although from that statement I'm starting to think there weren't any real strong straight up comedy videos this year.
From an audience entertainment perspective, I can see the appeal of having a good comedy video or two compete directly with other good videos even if the outcome is pretty much guaranteed... The alternative is either not having enough entries to have a category or allowing entries in that are so far below the level of the rest of the contest that it reflects poorly on the contest as a whole. It's more entertaining when the sacrifices can put up a fight.
Oh I totally agree that it is better for the contest, however it doesn't change the fact that several good videos might be getting the shaft in the process, but it is what it is. I do feel sorry for those that happen to be affected, as I've had videos not intended for comedy thrown into comedy categories before and I knew before the contest began it had no chance. That said, I personally would rather the contest have a good show than win, as cheap no-contests wins aren't as fun ;)
NightMistress85 wrote:Not sure if the actual editors work so that their stuff can be sacrifices putting up a good fight, but if they wouldn't be in the finals otherwise then something's better than nothing. But usually people don't compete for that. Most want to win though I'd be content with finals since it'd be a first for me :P
Indeed, while I tend to be okay with it since having a good show for the audience is more important than a silly award, not all editors feel the same and might be discouraged to have the video they worked hard on at a huge disadvantage in the contest.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Wed May 15, 2013 1:04 pm

dokidoki wrote:
xstylus wrote:We decided to rename, redefine, and rebalance two categories: Comedy/Humor, and Fun/Dance.
The revised category names are "Fun/Humor", and "Upbeat/Dance".
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Doki Doki said Comedy was on life support many years back.
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://www.doki.ca/images/iminuramvs.png
This made me laugh way harder then I should have. But I still can't help but bite my fingers in anticipation of the finalists this year. Can we (me) at least have an idea of how many entries that were received for both drama categories?

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed May 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Ryvannis wrote:This made me laugh way harder then I should have. But I still can't help but bite my fingers in anticipation of the finalists this year. Can we (me) at least have an idea of how many entries that were received for both drama categories?
Curious to see how much competition you're up against, eh? :P

After adjusting for disqualifications, Rom/Sen was the third largest category, which was one less than Drama, which was one less than Action.
The fourth largest "category" was Disqualifications, which was one less than Rom/Sen.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Return to “AMV Contests”