Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - WINNERS POSTED!

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed May 15, 2013 7:29 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
xstylus wrote:I agree. I'll repeat what I said earlier: "It balanced things out tremendously." None of the entries in this category have anything to feel sorry for. It's a good category and I'm very pleased with how it came out.
I'm not saying the videos would be bad, just saying straight up comedy tends to trump at most cons...although from that statement I'm starting to think there weren't any real strong straight up comedy videos this year.

From an audience entertainment perspective, I can see the appeal of having a good comedy video or two compete directly with other good videos even if the outcome is pretty much guaranteed... The alternative is either not having enough entries to have a category or allowing entries in that are so far below the level of the rest of the contest that it reflects poorly on the contest as a whole. It's more entertaining when the sacrifices can put up a fight.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby NightMistress85 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 am

Not sure if the actual editors work so that their stuff can be sacrifices putting up a good fight, but if they wouldn't be in the finals otherwise then something's better than nothing. But usually people don't compete for that. Most want to win though I'd be content with finals since it'd be a first for me :P
User avatar
NightMistress85
 
Joined: 08 Apr 2005
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby l33tmeatwad » Wed May 15, 2013 9:46 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
xstylus wrote:I agree. I'll repeat what I said earlier: "It balanced things out tremendously." None of the entries in this category have anything to feel sorry for. It's a good category and I'm very pleased with how it came out.
I'm not saying the videos would be bad, just saying straight up comedy tends to trump at most cons...although from that statement I'm starting to think there weren't any real strong straight up comedy videos this year.

From an audience entertainment perspective, I can see the appeal of having a good comedy video or two compete directly with other good videos even if the outcome is pretty much guaranteed... The alternative is either not having enough entries to have a category or allowing entries in that are so far below the level of the rest of the contest that it reflects poorly on the contest as a whole. It's more entertaining when the sacrifices can put up a fight.
Oh I totally agree that it is better for the contest, however it doesn't change the fact that several good videos might be getting the shaft in the process, but it is what it is. I do feel sorry for those that happen to be affected, as I've had videos not intended for comedy thrown into comedy categories before and I knew before the contest began it had no chance. That said, I personally would rather the contest have a good show than win, as cheap no-contests wins aren't as fun ;)

NightMistress85 wrote:Not sure if the actual editors work so that their stuff can be sacrifices putting up a good fight, but if they wouldn't be in the finals otherwise then something's better than nothing. But usually people don't compete for that. Most want to win though I'd be content with finals since it'd be a first for me :P
Indeed, while I tend to be okay with it since having a good show for the audience is more important than a silly award, not all editors feel the same and might be discouraged to have the video they worked hard on at a huge disadvantage in the contest.
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby Ryvannis » Wed May 15, 2013 1:04 pm

dokidoki wrote:
xstylus wrote:We decided to rename, redefine, and rebalance two categories: Comedy/Humor, and Fun/Dance.
The revised category names are "Fun/Humor", and "Upbeat/Dance".

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Doki Doki said Comedy was on life support many years back.

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://www.doki.ca/images/iminuramvs.png


This made me laugh way harder then I should have. But I still can't help but bite my fingers in anticipation of the finalists this year. Can we (me) at least have an idea of how many entries that were received for both drama categories?
User avatar
Ryvannis
 
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Location: California

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby XStylus » Wed May 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Ryvannis wrote:This made me laugh way harder then I should have. But I still can't help but bite my fingers in anticipation of the finalists this year. Can we (me) at least have an idea of how many entries that were received for both drama categories?


Curious to see how much competition you're up against, eh? :P

After adjusting for disqualifications, Rom/Sen was the third largest category, which was one less than Drama, which was one less than Action.
The fourth largest "category" was Disqualifications, which was one less than Rom/Sen.
Sakura Con 2014 - AMV Assistant Coordinator
Anime Expo 2014 - AMV Events Manager

"No margin for error." -Pwolf
"Darkness... is... coming." BZZZT!!! [Crowd ROFLs] -Yuusharo's vid as the power went out.
"Lol! Okay, some margin for error." -Pwolf
User avatar
XStylus
 
Joined: 22 Aug 2001
Location: A quaint little village.
Status: Enjoying the salty air.

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby Cyrix » Wed May 15, 2013 7:20 pm

When do DQ notices go out? Hoping I censored those lyrics appropriately...

Yup, waiting for the DQ list, and the preshow list 8-)

In the past I often found that there were horrifically miscategorized videos in every show, but that seems to have gotten better in the last few years. I'm interested to see the change implemented
Image
User avatar
Cyrix
 
Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Location: California

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby XStylus » Wed May 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Cyrix wrote:When do DQ notices go out?


If a video was DQ'd and there is a possibility (and sufficient time) for the entrant to do something about that DQ, a notice is sent. Otherwise, no notices are sent.

Cyrix wrote:Yup, waiting for the DQ list, and the preshow list 8-)

In the past I often found that there were horrifically miscategorized videos in every show, but that seems to have gotten better in the last few years. I'm interested to see the change implemented


We don't post DQ lists publicly, nor will we ever. It feels too much like a "wall of shame" to me. If you haven't gotten a notice from us, then either 1) Your video is okay and will be presented to the judges, or 2) Your video might have been DQ'd, but there's nothing that could be done about it.
Sakura Con 2014 - AMV Assistant Coordinator
Anime Expo 2014 - AMV Events Manager

"No margin for error." -Pwolf
"Darkness... is... coming." BZZZT!!! [Crowd ROFLs] -Yuusharo's vid as the power went out.
"Lol! Okay, some margin for error." -Pwolf
User avatar
XStylus
 
Joined: 22 Aug 2001
Location: A quaint little village.
Status: Enjoying the salty air.

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby Cyrix » Wed May 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Oh, god, yeah, I worded that wrong... I shouldn't have used the word "list". But do you send out emails to those who are disqualified? A few years ago one of my videos was disqualified and I received an email about it, so I assumed that notifying those who were DQ'd via email was standard practice. That was under DP though and I don't even know if it was standard then or an exception. I'm just nervous about one of my entries for this year.

Of course, I don't have any shame anyway :awesome:

edit: Apparently you amended your post while I was writing mine and addressed that.

edit2: Oh, that brings a tangentially related question to mind: do you have any preference between receiving an individual's submissions all at once or one at a time as they are ready? I'd assumed the former, but considering the typical last-minute flood, maybe the latter...
Image
User avatar
Cyrix
 
Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Location: California

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby Hagaren Viper » Wed May 15, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm pretty interested in this category change considering I wasn't sure weather to submit an entry to Comedy or Fun. Guess I know for sure where it would potentially go!

Cyrix wrote:edit2: Oh, that brings a tangentially related question to mind: do you have any preference between receiving an individual's submissions all at once or one at a time as they are ready? I'd assumed the former, but considering the typical last-minute flood, maybe the latter...


I actually asked that a while back, here's what he said [unless things have changed now, lol]

xstylus wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:Also I'm not sure if this would be an issue, but is sending different entries at different times ok? I might be working right up to the deadline, but I would like to send the videos I'm finished with sooner just in case I need to resend ect. Is this ok?


Obviously it would be preferable if you were to post all entries onto one form, but yes, you can. Just clearly mention in your email that you're doing so.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Hagaren Viper
 
Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Location: I dont wanna edit
Status: Just wanna play Persona 4Ever

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby NightMistress85 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:11 am

I forwarded along an updated form with no problem after I decided to submit another one.
User avatar
NightMistress85
 
Joined: 08 Apr 2005
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby Cyrix » Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:I actually asked that a while back, here's what he said [unless things have changed now, lol]

xstylus wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:Also I'm not sure if this would be an issue, but is sending different entries at different times ok? I might be working right up to the deadline, but I would like to send the videos I'm finished with sooner just in case I need to resend ect. Is this ok?


Obviously it would be preferable if you were to post all entries onto one form, but yes, you can. Just clearly mention in your email that you're doing so.


Ah, cool, thanks!
Image
User avatar
Cyrix
 
Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Location: California

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby dokidoki » Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 am

Ryvannis wrote:

This made me laugh way harder then I should have.

My work here is done. :)
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki
Free games! (some left) // "Anybody want a pizza roll?"
User avatar
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
 
Joined: 19 Dec 2000
Location: doki doki space
Status: BLEEP BLOOP!

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby Ryvannis » Fri May 17, 2013 1:00 am

Mispost.
User avatar
Ryvannis
 
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Location: California

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby Castor Troy » Fri May 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Ryvannis wrote:Mispost.


Spoiler :
drama |:>
Image
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: California
Status: Retired from AMVs

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Postby Rider4Z » Thu May 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Image
Image Image
Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
User avatar
Rider4Z
Pirate King
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Location: Your pants
Status: ppbbbbbbbbbb~

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MycathatesyouAMV and 4 guests