Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - WINNERS POSTED!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th!!!!!

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 pm

:shock: Sure.... Now it will be my fault if the masses rebel... That's ok Troy, I am Nidan (2nd Degree) Black Belt in Karate so I'll make sure to keep them away from you if they go for the strangle hold :P

But in all honesty, Comedy is really lacking in a lot of contest (I know, as I run comedy blocks and contests and we are getting desperate for funny stuff - Which is ironic as that is what everyone always wants to see). Doki Doki said Comedy was on life support many years back.

I think the adjustments are not huge or a deal breaker, but really do help a lot of videos out for a much more fair and exciting competition. And yea, there was a LOT of sleepless night spend on this… (Tory make me stay up all night to help him :uhoh: )

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon May 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote::shock: Sure.... Now it will be my fault if the masses rebel... That's ok Troy, I am Nidan (2nd Degree) Black Belt in Karate so I'll make sure to keep them away from you if they go for the strangle hold :P

But in all honesty, Comedy is really lacking in a lot of contest (I know, as I run comedy blocks and contests and we are getting desperate for funny stuff - Which is ironic as that is what everyone always wants to see). Doki Doki said Comedy was on life support many years back.

I think the adjustments are not huge or a deal breaker, but really do help a lot of videos out for a much more fair and exciting competition. And yea, there was a LOT of sleepless night spend on this… (Tory make me stay up all night to help him :uhoh: )

Vlad
Does that mean overflow drama videos will go into comedy? :uhoh: :ying:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Tue May 14, 2013 12:26 am

Castor Troy wrote:Does that mean overflow drama videos will go into comedy? :uhoh: :ying:
Nah, quality was up this year. There weren't any "so bad it's funny" videos. :P
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:10 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote::shock: Sure.... Now it will be my fault if the masses rebel... That's ok Troy, I am Nidan (2nd Degree) Black Belt in Karate so I'll make sure to keep them away from you if they go for the strangle hold :P

Vlad
I've attended my fair share of prescreenings and I can say this is quite true. I would finish a prescreening wondering how in the world comedy would turn out for the contest due to lack of entries, let alone quality ones, but then by the actual contest it can be very decent after some creative re-organizing on the staff's behalf. That alone is the stuff of magic :sorcerer:.

Comedy isn't easy. I feel like I've successfully produced videos for every category except that one and it's not because I'm not a funny person or lack a sense of humor. It's just hard to translate it into a video. For my one video I had more "fun" in mind than "funny", which is why I didn't put it in comedy to begin with, but this modification at least allows for more flexibility and it will put the audience in the right frame of mind for whichever videos become finalists. Perhaps true comedy will make a very strong comeback someday.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue May 14, 2013 9:11 am

I take a break from comedy and THIS is what happens! lol...but yeah, my thoughts on the matter are this; It's sad to see that comedy is struggling, however with comedy it is either good or it isn't, and even if it is good it doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it. Straight up comedy will more often than not beat out everything, which is why humorous and fun videos with light humor rarely get sumitted to comedy. I feel like the editors are right in doing this as there is a clear difference between straight up comedy and everything else with humor. I've also found that most editors have a different sense of humor than what most general audiences enjoy. I feel sorry for the videos moved to the "humor/fun" category as there is probably at least one straight up comedy that will make finals and will most likely win fairly easily.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Bm-atticus
Org Profile

Post by Bm-atticus » Tue May 14, 2013 11:59 am

It's true, I just made my first venture into comedy last year and I learned a lot about how much needs to go into it. A joke might sound funny in your head, but carrying that joke for an entire song without it getting old can be a pretty tall order. And you never know what's going to tickle that particular crowd's funny bone. I saw that at Anime Conji with my video this year. There was one particular segment that I kept in there for filler and the folks that I showed it to beforehand agreed with my decision to take it out before I submitted it to another contest. But when it came on people laughed. And laughed a lot. But the segment that I personally enjoyed the most barely got a chuckle. Shows what I know, haha.

That being said, I am very interested to see how this category adjustment goes and where my video will end up if it makes the finals.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue May 14, 2013 12:13 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:I feel sorry for the videos moved to the "humor/fun" category as there is probably at least one straight up comedy that will make finals and will most likely win fairly easily.
Not quite true.. at Sakura-Con, A "Fun" video actually beat out all the other "comedy" ones and won audience vote.

In all honesty, Audience usually now a days vote for a video that is actually well done and funny, I've seen a lot of comedies that just were not well constructed not get the vote, while other more cleaver but not so funny ones won.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Tue May 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:I feel sorry for the videos moved to the "humor/fun" category as there is probably at least one straight up comedy that will make finals and will most likely win fairly easily.
Not quite true.. at Sakura-Con, A "Fun" video actually beat out all the other "comedy" ones and won audience vote.

In all honesty, Audience usually now a days vote for a video that is actually well done and funny, I've seen a lot of comedies that just were not well constructed not get the vote, while other more cleaver but not so funny ones won.

Vlad
I agree. I'll repeat what I said earlier: "It balanced things out tremendously." None of the entries in this category have anything to feel sorry for. It's a good category and I'm very pleased with how it came out.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue May 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:

Vlad
It also happened to be the funniest entry in the category.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue May 14, 2013 2:41 pm

xstylus wrote:I agree. I'll repeat what I said earlier: "It balanced things out tremendously." None of the entries in this category have anything to feel sorry for. It's a good category and I'm very pleased with how it came out.
I'm not saying the videos would be bad, just saying straight up comedy tends to trump at most cons...although from that statement I'm starting to think there weren't any real strong straight up comedy videos this year.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”