Ileia wrote:I'm sorry to hear that, George. :(
x2

My condolences. :(
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: The Vent Thread

Post by EvaFan » Mon May 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Otohiko wrote:Just got word that my grandpa passed away a few hours ago. I somehow knew that was the news I was gonna get the moment I picked up the phone. Luckily, my mom had already gone over to Russia a couple of weeks ago, and was with him.

My grandpa was the person who taught me to fish, take care of plants and gardens, find things in the forest, make stuff with my hands, train cats to do jumps, chase vodka with (his very best) pickled mushrooms, and a ton of other stuff I'll never forget. In a big way, he was my connection to simple, hard-working country life. Born in a village not long after the Russian civil war, he survived German occupation, and then moved to Leningrad where he worked at the same factory for over 50 years. He most loved spending time at his tiny cabin on a tiny lake island in the Karelian Isthmus (which to this day is my favourite place in the world), which he built with his own hands, and was there as much as he could be. I hope wherever he is now, it's at least half as nice.

(pic)
Spoiler :
Bye grandpa.

And yeah, barely a couple of weeks since my step-grandfather on the other side of the family passed away. This is rough.
I share your pain oto. Today this morning my dad had a mass heart attack while mowing the yard. I've been bawling like a baby all day (yes real men still cry). He was the best father a kid could ever ask for. Battled kidney failure, cancer, neuropathy, thyroid, and heart failure problems daily and still kept looking for a job and did work around the house. Had a pacemaker and a defibrillator put in. He was a good man. I'm not sure why I came here first. Just remembered a-m-v.org had a vent thread and I don't want to log onto facebook right now cause there are pictures of him and stuff. It's so rough to lose someone so close. I feel like I was taking what time I had left with him for granted. My faith is really shaky right now. I still don't understand why bad things have to happen to such good people.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Mon May 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
x2

x3 :(
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon May 13, 2013 7:49 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:
x2

x3 :(
x4. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks guys <3
EvaFan wrote:
I share your pain oto. Today this morning my dad had a mass heart attack while mowing the yard. I've been bawling like a baby all day (yes real men still cry). He was the best father a kid could ever ask for. Battled kidney failure, cancer, neuropathy, thyroid, and heart failure problems daily and still kept looking for a job and did work around the house. Had a pacemaker and a defibrillator put in. He was a good man. I'm not sure why I came here first. Just remembered a-m-v.org had a vent thread and I don't want to log onto facebook right now cause there are pictures of him and stuff. It's so rough to lose someone so close. I feel like I was taking what time I had left with him for granted. My faith is really shaky right now. I still don't understand why bad things have to happen to such good people.
Oh man, I'm glad to see you here, but certainly not glad to hear this - take your time and don't forget to cry. I was relieved that today I was able to. Previous times that I'd lost someone had been much worse because of the numbness that I'd forced myself into over those losses.

Your dad sounds like a trooper, and I know it's tough to lose him, but hang on to the pride that he rightly deserves over this. Tell people about him, but don't get obsessed over the loss, or its unfairness. It just doesn't go anywhere good.

With my grandfather, I knew this was coming for a bit, and it'd been nagging at the back of my mind for the last few days. There wasn't anything specifically wrong for a while, but I could sense it. He was someone who worked with his hands and was in great shape well into his 80s. I knew even from childhood that he was one of those people who was going to be in great health, and then one day he'd more or less just drop dead.
Didn't quite work out that way - it was close though. He started declining over the last couple of years, his eyes and ears started going, but was still soldiering on and planting his massive garden every year. This year he was really looking forward to doing it again, but when the time came, he realized he didn't have the strength, and kind of just snapped. He suddenly didn't have the strength to walk, cook, take care of himself, stopped eating and drinking, and his mind started clouding over. I wish to say that he just faded and didn't see the end coming, but from what I'm told, he spent much of his last couple of weeks crying and saying that he didn't want to die. It was only in the last hour of his life that he'd finally calmed down, and went to sleep peacefully.
I wouldn't dwell on this whole "good people, why do bad things happen" issue. My grandpa had his share of ghosts and skeletons in the closet. He also leaves behind a tricky and somewhat unfair inheritance issue. But I really just want to remember him as someone who's taught me a lot about life, love of nature, and love of one's neighbours, all things that I hold dear and will always have thanks to him.

Anyway, sorry, venting in perhaps too much detail there.

In a somewhat unrelated issue, with my mom gone to Russia for a couple of weeks, calling my dad today was also rather depressing. He literally can't function without her and is a complete wreck after just 10 days. And people wonder why I make such a big deal out of family and not being single, and shirk suggestions about independence and "finding my own meaning in life" and whatnot... with influences like this, it's honestly a miracle that I've survived to be as old as I am without anyone like that in my life. Sometimes I wonder just how long I'll last like this, if my dad, whom I still consider a role model and a stronger person than I, gets so pathetic, unproductive and outright whiny after just a few days alone without someone to rely on.

Anyway, enough of this depressing stuff. <3 y'all
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:33 am

|:> Shampooing carpets and cleaning are 2 of my favorite things :awesome:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue May 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Minor gripe, but the Kickstarter I backed in August last year that was supposed to ship in March just announced it'll be another 6-10 weeks before I see anything. The rediculous part about it is actually that the more money you backed them for, the longer you have to wait.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Devolution
Org Profile

Post by Devolution » Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 pm

car is off the road.
don't want to go over the details.
but for the time being, no more driving for devo.
which means no more job(pizza delivery).
hopefully i get to post in the happy thread soon that it's back on the road, but not likely.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed May 15, 2013 10:40 pm

I hate the feeling that a specific someone only watches my facebook for photos of her youngest sister, she has no care for the rest of her family. Well I will no longer be posting pictures of that little sister unless it's a group shot, or part of a collection that contains other people as well... In the meantime I'll continue ignoring her immature rants and massive amounts of reposted memes. Sometimes I hate facebook.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu May 16, 2013 2:48 pm

I had located a rental property and had plans of touring it tomorrow. It was pretty much the last place I had circled with my real estate agent before I lowered my standards or tried to find one in a different town.

It burned down today. Electircial fire.

D:

EDIT: Though I did probably just dodge a huge-ass bullet there.

Return to “General Discussion”