The a-m-v.org awkward newbie phase

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Re: The a-m-v.org awkward newbie phase

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Mon May 13, 2013 3:07 pm

I guess you could say I was always a bit overdramatic. Still am a little bit... but I think all AMVers are somewhat over-the-top anyway-- that's probably what attracted me to the hobby in the first place. It's like concentrating a big ball of energy into a small space called an AMV. So it's no big surprise if the same thing came through in my posts.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Wed May 15, 2013 2:50 am

.. the way Willow and I were always having problems with English and both ErMaC and Tab were almost yelling/correcting people who were poor-boying it!

It was amusing how many "terms" were thought to be understood by those who didn't have a clue.

The biggest problem this board had was a total dis-reguard for English-Only British-Like wording on Spanish-Understandings while you were having enough problems learning the English from a French point-of-view and not understanding the difference between British, American, New York and Texas understandings and slang's! T__T .. .. ( this board still has that problem; and Phad ... we now understand! )

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 pm

This:
Otohiko wrote:Oh, one hilarious thing I remembered, though only the "old" people here will get this:

Within a couple of days of me joining, dwchang accused me of being a new account created by mad_hatter, and told everyone to ignore me because I'm a troll.

When he realized, a couple of weeks later, that I wasn't and that actually I was a pretty reasonable guy, he came back to me apologizing profusely. I, on the other hand, was apologizing left and right because by that point I also realized that I was kind of being a douche to people in my first few days. So there was definitely that awkward situation where dwchang was apologizing to me for thinking I'm actually an infamous troll, and me apologizing that while I may not have been the hatter, I was pretty annoying anyway.

I don't remember how the whole thing turned out, but nobody has mistaken me for the hatter since.
being the reason that this:
Cannonaire wrote:My third day on a-m-v.org I strongly implied that Mister Hatt was a troll.
It's pretty funny in retrospect because of all the help he's given me.
tripped the veterans' sensors (along with there being a recurring sock incident in early 2007 that aligned too much with the previous username on the account). It wasn't just you, Cannonaire. Any permutation of 'hatter' (or Wheee_It's_Me!) usernames is enough to set us on edge, even if that wasn't the angle you were coming from.

In my case, my most embarrassing videos were edited before I ever started posting on the forum (although embarrassing video titles stayed with me for a little while longer). They weren't edited with WMM, though; they were edited with VirtualDub. Once I did start posting on the forum, though, there's only a couple things that really stand out: one was a source acquisition question misstep (it wasn't a typical one, but it was close enough to get AbsoluteDestiny to lock the thread), the other was trying to talk the video up in the announcement post for the first one I released post-forum join. After getting basically slapped down both times, I had better sense knocked into me from then on.

I also cringe sometimes when thinking about the entries and scripts I'd put on AMVWiki while it still existed, as it was either pointless content or the epitome of overfiltering (even if it did still come out looking 'better' than the fansubs getting released at the time...those things were all manner of mftooned to hell and back).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Fri May 17, 2013 11:27 am

Otohiko wrote:Oh, one hilarious thing I remembered, though only the "old" people here will get this:

Within a couple of days of me joining, dwchang accused me of being a new account created by mad_hatter, and told everyone to ignore me because I'm a troll.

When he realized, a couple of weeks later, that I wasn't and that actually I was a pretty reasonable guy, he came back to me apologizing profusely. I, on the other hand, was apologizing left and right because by that point I also realized that I was kind of being a douche to people in my first few days. So there was definitely that awkward situation where dwchang was apologizing to me for thinking I'm actually an infamous troll, and me apologizing that while I may not have been the hatter, I was pretty annoying anyway.

I don't remember how the whole thing turned out, but nobody has mistaken me for the hatter since.
I still think you are really Mad_Hatter ... or Sammy! :rofl:

J/K

just Sammy. :ying:

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 am

I was always in the newbie phase. |:>

Return to “General AMV”