The a-m-v.org awkward newbie phase

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Re: The a-m-v.org awkward newbie phase

Post by Infinity Squared » Wed May 01, 2013 5:39 am

I used to insert random Japanese at every opportunity I could get when I first started posting here.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 am

Infinity Squared wrote:I used to insert random Japanese at every opportunity I could get when I first started posting here.

OMG THATS SO KAWAII =^__________^=

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed May 01, 2013 10:28 am

Kimberly wrote:
Cannonaire wrote:
Kimberly wrote:I necroposted a bunch of stuff without realizing it, and then someone insulted me and hurt my feelings, so I left the org and never came back.
Totally a shame. It would have been nice to have you here, at least for this thread. :(
I know right? I think my post would say something like, "I necroposted a bunch of stuff without realizing it, and then someone insulted me and hurt my feelings, so I left the org and never came back...until now."
I actually just realized that your join date was that long ago. For some reason I thought you were only around for the last year or so :shock:

My 10th anniversary of the .org is gonna be next week :o

I still feel kind of like... I haven't been around that long, but I guess you can't call me a newbie, huh!
My stage was opposite of most people's. I came in here with prior experienced on some ROM translation boards, and while I did have an interest in anime and AMVs, I didn't join because I was dying to make them. I actually showed up on the .org specifically because I was REALLY ANGRY at the fact that there was a billion AMVs to stuff like Linkin Park and other music I scoffed at, but literally 0 AMVs at music I liked. I, of course, thought that because I knew who Robert Fripp was, it meant I was at least several times smarter than everybody. I went on a bunch of really pretentious (and largely meaningless) rants at people, used a lot of big words, and kind of acted like, well... a douche. Later on when I got to know people better, they were surprised to discover that I was actually NOT 40-something years old, because I always sounded old and cranky. Among other things, I thought koopiskeva was a hateful weirdo and Rozard was a total d-bag. :P

When I joined, I went on a small posting spree pretty much asking people to give me reasons why AMVs are not shit and why I should even give this community a chance, or consider making AMVs myself. I literally set a deadline for myself - I would give the .org 3 days, and if I found no reason to stay here, I would just leave.

Well, we know where I am 10 years later... :dino:

My first post was a newbie question that noone answered (and actually a pretty legitimate one at that). I actually came back and answered it myself much later on :P
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 59#p245059

And while it's no longer publically viewable, this was my introduction post:

So yeah, basically I was kind of just a big douche :P
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed May 01, 2013 11:31 am

Dammit, we need the "phorum" back! I wonder how many people remember that.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 am

Oh, one hilarious thing I remembered, though only the "old" people here will get this:

Within a couple of days of me joining, dwchang accused me of being a new account created by mad_hatter, and told everyone to ignore me because I'm a troll.

When he realized, a couple of weeks later, that I wasn't and that actually I was a pretty reasonable guy, he came back to me apologizing profusely. I, on the other hand, was apologizing left and right because by that point I also realized that I was kind of being a douche to people in my first few days. So there was definitely that awkward situation where dwchang was apologizing to me for thinking I'm actually an infamous troll, and me apologizing that while I may not have been the hatter, I was pretty annoying anyway.

I don't remember how the whole thing turned out, but nobody has mistaken me for the hatter since.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu May 02, 2013 1:30 am

Oh, and of course there was a sort of awkward moment, I guess that would've been a couple of months into my stay on the .org. I posted a bunch of pics of myself, and got some weird/shocked reactions. I apparently was nothing like the mental image people had of me. Apparently most of the regulars had assumed that I was at least in my 40s (I was 19 at the time) and was this grumpy-looking, grey-haired fat dude. Probably based on my writing style, my typical avatars (which very often pictures of old, poorly-shaven dudes), and the music I listened to. Even after that, I had to spend some time convincing people that I wasn't an old man masquerading as a college freshman :uhoh:

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Sat May 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Those few weeks I've been active I can't really remember. It was funny to hear your stories.
What I remember is that I've been welcomed rather nicely and people were very supportive and asked about my progress on upcoming amvs and stuff (those amvs never happend).
I also had a timeout of about 2 years I think. Then I came back and created a new Profile in 2006.

Looking back at this Post it is quite hilarious. Funny thing is I still made it after some time!

Oh! I had very bad english in the beginning. ;)
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Post by The_McLaughlin » Mon May 06, 2013 12:31 am

I still consider myself a newbie... but way back when I did set up the account I remember it being right when I started out making amvs after seeing a few on youtube. I think I may have been editing horrible quality digimon amvs and putting them on youtube at the time, but I created the account because it was right about the time that youtube started having legal issues with WMG, and other music companies and then I just stopped making amvs a year or two after that. I never really used the site though until my freshman year of college, after I saw the amv contest at NDK and went... I could do that... and started editing again but wanted to improve my quality so I started posting over here for technical help...
But I remember I found a really old guide on using DVD footage and I couldn't get it to work so I posted for help about that, and was then linked to a newer guide... I guess that was a bit awkward.
I guess you could call this post a bit awkward as I'm long winded and could have probably made this post much smaller thus making this an awkward read for anyone who has gotten this far into my post... but I'm still a newb so... I'm going to leave my awkward mistake anyway just so in the future I can reference it if another topic like this comes up... so there.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sun May 12, 2013 4:59 pm

My whole first year's worth of AMVs are so cringingly bad...I wish I could forget I ever made them. Also, I think the first time I met people like Koopiskeva and Brad and Decoy at various cons I may have come off a little fanboyish. Sorry guys.

And, at my first con (ACen 2007) I submitted a video in the wrong aspect ratio...that still haunts me to this day >_>
Those posts read no different than anything else you've ever posted :P

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am

Mine are not awkward : O, but pretty sad. :nose:
Still better than that MMO.

Return to “General AMV”