The Vent Thread

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby JaddziaDax » Sun May 05, 2013 10:18 am

D:
User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Status: I has a TRU Arceus

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Amaterasu » Tue May 07, 2013 2:44 am

Well, my C drive apparently crashed and erased everything. I'm on my parents' computer right now. With that C drive went basically all of my life's work. I've kept the files from the computers I've had before it on there, as well as all of my vegas projects and my music collection that I've been working on for nearly half of my life (over 30,000 songs). I've basically lost the only things in my life that I was ever proud of... Not to mention the .txt file with all of my passwords, so I can't login to most sites I've joined now.
User avatar
Amaterasu
Lets Positive Thinking
 
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Location: Renovo, PA
Status: Bovine

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Amaterasu » Tue May 07, 2013 2:58 am

Not to mention, this happened 2 days after an old friend of mine died in a car accident.
User avatar
Amaterasu
Lets Positive Thinking
 
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Location: Renovo, PA
Status: Bovine

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Pwolf » Tue May 07, 2013 8:31 am

Sorry about your friend.

As for the hard drive. Depending on how bad it is and how deep your wallet goes, you can get it recovered. If it's a simple fix, you'll be looking at maybe a few hundred dollars, if that.

That said, investing in a backup policy or redundancy is always a good thing.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
User avatar
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
 
Joined: 03 May 2001
Location: Some where in California, I forgot :\

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Amaterasu » Tue May 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Pwolf wrote:Sorry about your friend.

As for the hard drive. Depending on how bad it is and how deep your wallet goes, you can get it recovered. If it's a simple fix, you'll be looking at maybe a few hundred dollars, if that.

That said, investing in a backup policy or redundancy is always a good thing.


Thanks man. I am looking into some ways to fix it, I mostly just want to get my music and my vegas projects back.
User avatar
Amaterasu
Lets Positive Thinking
 
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Location: Renovo, PA
Status: Bovine

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Castor Troy » Sat May 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Toilet in the main bathroom is clogged since my sister flushed cotton balls down. This isn't a problem for me since I have the bathroom in the master bedroom, but this is very inconsiderate for my other roommate and any guests who come over.

I've been trying to use a plunger for the past 2 hours to fix it, but to no avail. :down: :evil:
Image
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: California
Status: Retired from AMVs

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Fire_Starter » Sat May 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Toilet in the main bathroom is clogged since my sister flushed cotton balls down. This isn't a problem for me since I have the bathroom in the master bedroom, but this is very inconsiderate for my other roommate and any guests who come over.

I've been trying to use a plunger for the past 2 hours to fix it, but to no avail. :down: :evil:

Sounds like it may be time to call in a plumber, and bill her for whatever it costs.
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010
User avatar
Fire_Starter
 
Joined: 26 Mar 2004
Status: Dictator Emeritus: Samarui Warrierz Prodstudios

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Ematheo » Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Just wrote the largest vent and it all disappeared because I took too long writing it I got logged out. I know this tend to happend so I remembered copying my text about 3/4 in so I was all "no problem I just rewrite the last part but all I got from pasting was one line?! Oh yea I forgot I copied one line to move it to another place an forgot to recopy everything. =___=

It's nearly 5 am and I have work in a few hours, I could have slept all this time instead of writing a vent that would disappear in cyberspace! Oh well.. maybe I saved me some embarrassment.
lurvtuss
User avatar
Ematheo
 
Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Location: Sleepsville

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Otohiko » Mon May 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Just got word that my grandpa passed away a few hours ago. I somehow knew that was the news I was gonna get the moment I picked up the phone. Luckily, my mom had already gone over to Russia a couple of weeks ago, and was with him.

My grandpa was the person who taught me to fish, take care of plants and gardens, find things in the forest, make stuff with my hands, train cats to do jumps, chase vodka with (his very best) pickled mushrooms, and a ton of other stuff I'll never forget. In a big way, he was my connection to simple, hard-working country life. Born in a village not long after the Russian civil war, he survived German occupation, and then moved to Leningrad where he worked at the same factory for over 50 years. He most loved spending time at his tiny cabin on a tiny lake island in the Karelian Isthmus (which to this day is my favourite place in the world), which he built with his own hands, and was there as much as he could be. I hope wherever he is now, it's at least half as nice.

(pic)
Spoiler :
Image


Bye grandpa.

And yeah, barely a couple of weeks since my step-grandfather on the other side of the family passed away. This is rough.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Ileia » Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, George. :(
User avatar
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer
 
Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Location: On teh Z-drive, CornDog
Status: ....to completion

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Castor Troy » Mon May 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Ileia wrote:I'm sorry to hear that, George. :(


x2

My condolences. :(
Image
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: California
Status: Retired from AMVs

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby EvaFan » Mon May 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Otohiko wrote:Just got word that my grandpa passed away a few hours ago. I somehow knew that was the news I was gonna get the moment I picked up the phone. Luckily, my mom had already gone over to Russia a couple of weeks ago, and was with him.

My grandpa was the person who taught me to fish, take care of plants and gardens, find things in the forest, make stuff with my hands, train cats to do jumps, chase vodka with (his very best) pickled mushrooms, and a ton of other stuff I'll never forget. In a big way, he was my connection to simple, hard-working country life. Born in a village not long after the Russian civil war, he survived German occupation, and then moved to Leningrad where he worked at the same factory for over 50 years. He most loved spending time at his tiny cabin on a tiny lake island in the Karelian Isthmus (which to this day is my favourite place in the world), which he built with his own hands, and was there as much as he could be. I hope wherever he is now, it's at least half as nice.

(pic)
Spoiler :


Bye grandpa.

And yeah, barely a couple of weeks since my step-grandfather on the other side of the family passed away. This is rough.


I share your pain oto. Today this morning my dad had a mass heart attack while mowing the yard. I've been bawling like a baby all day (yes real men still cry). He was the best father a kid could ever ask for. Battled kidney failure, cancer, neuropathy, thyroid, and heart failure problems daily and still kept looking for a job and did work around the house. Had a pacemaker and a defibrillator put in. He was a good man. I'm not sure why I came here first. Just remembered a-m-v.org had a vent thread and I don't want to log onto facebook right now cause there are pictures of him and stuff. It's so rough to lose someone so close. I feel like I was taking what time I had left with him for granted. My faith is really shaky right now. I still don't understand why bad things have to happen to such good people.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
EvaFan
 
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Location: Somerset, KY
Status: (*゚▽゚)o旦~ ー乾杯ー♪

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby GloryQuestor » Mon May 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Ileia wrote:I'm sorry to hear that, George. :(


x2

My condolences. :(


x3 :(
Samurai Warriors Productions
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
User avatar
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
 
Joined: 13 Apr 2004
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Status: Moved to a new town, looking around.

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby CodeZTM » Mon May 13, 2013 7:49 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:
Ileia wrote:I'm sorry to hear that, George. :(


x2

My condolences. :(


x3 :(


x4. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: The Vent Thread

Postby Otohiko » Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks guys <3

EvaFan wrote:
I share your pain oto. Today this morning my dad had a mass heart attack while mowing the yard. I've been bawling like a baby all day (yes real men still cry). He was the best father a kid could ever ask for. Battled kidney failure, cancer, neuropathy, thyroid, and heart failure problems daily and still kept looking for a job and did work around the house. Had a pacemaker and a defibrillator put in. He was a good man. I'm not sure why I came here first. Just remembered a-m-v.org had a vent thread and I don't want to log onto facebook right now cause there are pictures of him and stuff. It's so rough to lose someone so close. I feel like I was taking what time I had left with him for granted. My faith is really shaky right now. I still don't understand why bad things have to happen to such good people.


Oh man, I'm glad to see you here, but certainly not glad to hear this - take your time and don't forget to cry. I was relieved that today I was able to. Previous times that I'd lost someone had been much worse because of the numbness that I'd forced myself into over those losses.

Your dad sounds like a trooper, and I know it's tough to lose him, but hang on to the pride that he rightly deserves over this. Tell people about him, but don't get obsessed over the loss, or its unfairness. It just doesn't go anywhere good.




With my grandfather, I knew this was coming for a bit, and it'd been nagging at the back of my mind for the last few days. There wasn't anything specifically wrong for a while, but I could sense it. He was someone who worked with his hands and was in great shape well into his 80s. I knew even from childhood that he was one of those people who was going to be in great health, and then one day he'd more or less just drop dead.
Didn't quite work out that way - it was close though. He started declining over the last couple of years, his eyes and ears started going, but was still soldiering on and planting his massive garden every year. This year he was really looking forward to doing it again, but when the time came, he realized he didn't have the strength, and kind of just snapped. He suddenly didn't have the strength to walk, cook, take care of himself, stopped eating and drinking, and his mind started clouding over. I wish to say that he just faded and didn't see the end coming, but from what I'm told, he spent much of his last couple of weeks crying and saying that he didn't want to die. It was only in the last hour of his life that he'd finally calmed down, and went to sleep peacefully.
I wouldn't dwell on this whole "good people, why do bad things happen" issue. My grandpa had his share of ghosts and skeletons in the closet. He also leaves behind a tricky and somewhat unfair inheritance issue. But I really just want to remember him as someone who's taught me a lot about life, love of nature, and love of one's neighbours, all things that I hold dear and will always have thanks to him.

Anyway, sorry, venting in perhaps too much detail there.

In a somewhat unrelated issue, with my mom gone to Russia for a couple of weeks, calling my dad today was also rather depressing. He literally can't function without her and is a complete wreck after just 10 days. And people wonder why I make such a big deal out of family and not being single, and shirk suggestions about independence and "finding my own meaning in life" and whatnot... with influences like this, it's honestly a miracle that I've survived to be as old as I am without anyone like that in my life. Sometimes I wonder just how long I'll last like this, if my dad, whom I still consider a role model and a stronger person than I, gets so pathetic, unproductive and outright whiny after just a few days alone without someone to rely on.

Anyway, enough of this depressing stuff. <3 y'all
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ReggieSmalls and 6 guests