Pheonix Project

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
VoidSpiritAMV
Org Profile

Pheonix Project

Post by VoidSpiritAMV » Sun May 05, 2013 6:39 am

just an short video i made hoping to get some feedback to use for the future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvBubgkAgzo

NotReallyHere
The Macho Man
Org Profile

Re: Pheonix Project

Post by NotReallyHere » Thu May 09, 2013 5:58 am

Alright, since it's feedback you wanted I suppose I shall give you some. :)

Overall the pace of the AMV was too slow. The first 15 seconds fit well, the music there is perfect for a chasing scene but when it gets to the next part it feels like it should go faster, but it doesn't. (It might even be slower there). And then there's the part where Fire-King dude's Sword pops up so to me it feels like a bit of action should be next but instead we get Shiro begging for food. The part starting at 0:45 is indeed slower so you got that right but there's some weird twitching going on there. Then the music reaches a climax at 1:00 and you see these dudes fighting, which was a good scene, and then suddenly you get a black screen with the lyrics on it. Just... don't ok? If you really want to add text the "Remix" a bit later is a better way to go, but I'm not a big fan of that one either. Some more scenes would have helped the last part as well. Also, try to sync the transitions/movement a bit more to the beat.

P.S. If you want more feedback, I suggest you upload this to .org, people tend to ignore vids that have only YT links.

VoidSpiritAMV
Org Profile

Post by VoidSpiritAMV » Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm

thanks I like the fact you were honest about it :)
I can see what your saying also so i will take it on board. Is there a tutorial or a video that you can refer me to that has good transitions and movement that fit the beat so i could get a better grasp of the idea?

I have uploaded it i believe on both but this was the first one

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Thu May 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Agreed, speeds don't match!

Uploading to utube is a good alternative with .wmv's

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 pm

My post today for the "Let's Get Active" campaign in General AMV! Grading Scale under spoiler.
Spoiler :
0 = Nonexistant
1-4 = Below Average. Lacking in key components that would make it an average quality.
5 = Average
6-9 = Above Average. Slightly above average, but lacking qualities that would make it something perfect.
10 = Perfect
Concept/Originality: I don't have much to go off of the video information, so I'll take a stab and assume the concept was to make an action/drama video, regarding the song's about putting on war paint. I don't think the fact that this is a "war" or some sort of battle was brought up strong enough. The first minute or so of the video somewhat alludes to it, but then we've also got really odd scenes that don't make much sense (like the kids running around the hallway or picking up lunch or some girl getting a pat on the head in the past?). I felt like you could have put more of the reason why these kids are fighting to make a better buildup into the really action oriented bits. Although when you did get to the action part, it was fairly obvious by that point. Points for using an underused source, but the overall video was a fairly non-unique action video. all of that being said, I still "got" the video and understood what you were going for, so that's better than some completely random videos. 5/10

Editing/Sync: This was a good combination. The song/anime could have worked extremely well together, and you did have some really solid scene selection at times. 1:00-end had some really cool scenes/movements in sync with the music and it was fun to watch! I also thought you built up the AMV nicely and had a semblence of pacing (like how it was slower at the start and the action picks up after the song picks up).

However, there were some issues too.

Why was there a sudden black screen with text in the middle of the video? The rest of the video only had text one other time in the entirety of the video, so it felt like a tacked- on thing. It was really noticable since it was one of the first things I saw after the song really picked up! The text in general could have been removed for a better effect, or it should have been really polished up and made an integral part of the video.

Some of the lyric sync was just a bit too obvious. Like the scene at :22 with the fire after the "strike a match". It comes out of nowhere (especially during a slower part of the song) and goes back to the original slow moving scene. It just felt really out of place and put there to match a word without much thought into it.

the opening, while I liked how it was slow and had a nice buildup, had some really wonky scene selection. I mean, the first fifteen seconds was the same kid running. Could have introduced some other characters here and made the buildup much more effective.

Some of the scenery was also way too long of clips. The scene at :38 (the courtyard scene) felt far too long without much happening. 1:11 also felt a bit long, although it did have something interesting happening, so I won't say much there.

The song cut into a fade was a bit obvious, and I wish the video had been a bit longer.

Overall though, the editing had some good aspects about it, it just needed some fine picking and polish and it would have been great!

5.5/10

Visuals/Audio: Watermark in the top right was fairly distracting, and the quality felt sub-part, especially with this source (I've seen gorgeous work with this source). Blocky and interlaced. :( 5.25/10

Re-View: Not something I'll watch frequently, but I will add this to a youtube playlist. It had a lot of stuff in it that I thought was pretty cool. 6/10

Overall: Needed some polishing in editing and visual quality, but it had some neat things about it. Shows promise! :) 5.25/10

NotReallyHere
The Macho Man
Org Profile

Post by NotReallyHere » Fri May 10, 2013 4:10 am

VoidSpiritAMV wrote:thanks I like the fact you were honest about it :)
I can see what your saying also so i will take it on board. Is there a tutorial or a video that you can refer me to that has good transitions and movement that fit the beat so i could get a better grasp of the idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu6h0MDnF6w Maybe this one and some others on the channel? (Those are the only tutorials I've ever watched so I can't give you more I'm afraid XD)

VoidSpiritAMV
Org Profile

Post by VoidSpiritAMV » Fri May 10, 2013 12:04 pm

NotReallyHere wrote:
VoidSpiritAMV wrote:thanks I like the fact you were honest about it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu6h0MDnF6w Maybe this one and some others on the channel? (Those are the only tutorials I've ever watched so I can't give you more I'm afraid XD)
haha thats fine i appreciate it :D

VoidSpiritAMV
Org Profile

Post by VoidSpiritAMV » Fri May 10, 2013 12:07 pm

CodeZTM wrote:My post today for the "Let's Get Active" campaign in General AMV! Grading Scale under spoiler.
Spoiler :
0 = Nonexistant
1-4 = Below Average. Lacking in key components that would make it an average quality.
5 = Average
6-9 = Above Average. Slightly above average, but lacking qualities that would make it something perfect.
10 = Perfect
Concept/Originality: I don't have much to go off of the video information, so I'll take a stab and assume the concept was to make an action/drama video, regarding the song's about putting on war paint. I don't think the fact that this is a "war" or some sort of battle was brought up strong enough. The first minute or so of the video somewhat alludes to it, but then we've also got really odd scenes that don't make much sense (like the kids running around the hallway or picking up lunch or some girl getting a pat on the head in the past?). I felt like you could have put more of the reason why these kids are fighting to make a better buildup into the really action oriented bits. Although when you did get to the action part, it was fairly obvious by that point. Points for using an underused source, but the overall video was a fairly non-unique action video. all of that being said, I still "got" the video and understood what you were going for, so that's better than some completely random videos. 5/10

Editing/Sync: This was a good combination. The song/anime could have worked extremely well together, and you did have some really solid scene selection at times. 1:00-end had some really cool scenes/movements in sync with the music and it was fun to watch! I also thought you built up the AMV nicely and had a semblence of pacing (like how it was slower at the start and the action picks up after the song picks up).

However, there were some issues too.

Why was there a sudden black screen with text in the middle of the video? The rest of the video only had text one other time in the entirety of the video, so it felt like a tacked- on thing. It was really noticable since it was one of the first things I saw after the song really picked up! The text in general could have been removed for a better effect, or it should have been really polished up and made an integral part of the video.

Some of the lyric sync was just a bit too obvious. Like the scene at :22 with the fire after the "strike a match". It comes out of nowhere (especially during a slower part of the song) and goes back to the original slow moving scene. It just felt really out of place and put there to match a word without much thought into it.

the opening, while I liked how it was slow and had a nice buildup, had some really wonky scene selection. I mean, the first fifteen seconds was the same kid running. Could have introduced some other characters here and made the buildup much more effective.

Some of the scenery was also way too long of clips. The scene at :38 (the courtyard scene) felt far too long without much happening. 1:11 also felt a bit long, although it did have something interesting happening, so I won't say much there.

The song cut into a fade was a bit obvious, and I wish the video had been a bit longer.

Overall though, the editing had some good aspects about it, it just needed some fine picking and polish and it would have been great!

5.5/10

Visuals/Audio: Watermark in the top right was fairly distracting, and the quality felt sub-part, especially with this source (I've seen gorgeous work with this source). Blocky and interlaced. :( 5.25/10

Re-View: Not something I'll watch frequently, but I will add this to a youtube playlist. It had a lot of stuff in it that I thought was pretty cool. 6/10

Overall: Needed some polishing in editing and visual quality, but it had some neat things about it. Shows promise! :) 5.25/10
Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback i really appreciate it :D
i dont know how i would be able to remove the watermarks of the animes :o
ill try and work on my scene selection aspect and Lol from it seems i will not be adding text again xD

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”