More Magix Madness

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

More Magix Madness

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:50 pm

This program hates me, I swear.

I'm getting nothing but black after about the six minute mark on my timeline. The video is around forty-nine minutes. I checked the sources individually on the timeline. The problem doesn't happen with any of the clips on their own, except for the main footage I recorded it with a DVD recorder, ripped the disc with DVD Decrypter, converted the footage to Ut Video with VirtualDubMod (it plays back just fine in there, Media Player Classic, and another editing program I tried, VideoPad Video Editor), and everything is golden until that six minute mark. It's not just the main footage that goes black either; everything goes that way, too, but only if sharing the timeline with the main stuff.

Anybody know what's going on? I've sifted through the program and movie settings, and I don't see anything about length restrictions (and even if that were the case, why only with one of the clips?), so I'm really confused.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: More Magix Madness

Post by Ileia » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 am

I didn't see this until your journal post but....mostly likely the file is too large. Magix will only import up to a certain point, then after that it's just all black. (I think the limit is after like..1.85 gb or something). To solve this, I usually load my source into Virtualdub and export it as segments. How big is the file?

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 am

Ah, that would make a great deal of sense. It's 17.0 GB. This is the first time I've edited something with any length, and I didn't realize that Magix would do that on import, although I know some programs do it on export. I guess I'll just have to break it up. A little more time-consuming, but still preferable to using the other editing program. Thanks, Ileia. I appreciate the feedback. <3

I realize I'm not using the most current version of the program, but you'd think that they would have fixed this crap by now. Everything is HD and files are huge these days. It's like, get with the times, you know?

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm beginning to think that technology just doesn't want me making these videos. So, making the clips is working great, but now VDubMod is being stupid. I'm using Ut Video Codec YUV420 (ULY0) VCM x86. I'll admit, I know very little about codecs, but it rendered the original 49 minute clip with no errors and at the smallest filesize of the four Ut choices I had, so I went with it. So now I'm loading up that full clip to make shorter, five minute clips, and when it finishes rendering, VDub crashes. It makes the clip with no problems (I can use it in Magix, I mean), but it crashes as soon as it's done. I thought maybe it didn't like Magix being open with the original clip, so I closed Magix. Still crashed. I tried running all of the clips as a batch. Crashed.

This is the error message I'm getting - the program's "best guess" anyway: An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'utv_core'.

I don't know what's going on. It's not the end of the world if it can't be fixed. It's still making usable clips, but it'll get old real fast if I have to reload VDub for every single one.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Are you using VirtualDub, or VirtualDubMod? You're saying both... IIRC, the latter hasn't been updated in 7 years and isn't a recommended tool any more.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:35 am

VDM, which has never given me any problems, and that's why I still use it. (If it ain't broke...) I did resolve the problem anyway. It just didn't like me loading up a lossless clip and trying to make clips from it. Everything else I had was still in its .d2v form, and making clips straight from those didn't give me any errors, so I guess it's a non-issue now.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 am

Crashing and not being able to handle lossless files it created sounds broken to me... But, then again, using a GUI interface to create and load files of a type that didn't even exist when the GUI was last updated seems like it might not be the best idea. Interfaces make assumptions when doing what they do, and parameters/flags that are used when they invoke the external applications they access can and do change over time.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Video Editing Software”