P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are Here!

This is the official forum for Project OrgEditor Season 3, hosted by CodeZTM.

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Kitsuner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:07 pm

RAWdangers wrote:CAt this point, you wonder why are you even having this debate because you know no matter how well you debate, the judge is not going to change their personal opinion on gay rights."

So in other words, you're saying Animated's video is gay.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
User avatar
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Status: Top Breeder

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:11 pm

But wait... take another step back and see that there might not be any intrinsic good or bad qualities to videos whatsoever... and that your preference for well-timed, creative, emotion evoking videos is inherently just as subjective as anything else the other judges chose to base their scores on.

Now someone get a mop and bucket in here because heads just exploded... or someone just threw up. I can't tell.

eww... i got some on my shoe.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Kimberly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Let's just be robots. Bloop de bloop blup :amv:
ImageImage
User avatar
Kimberly
Kardashian
 
Joined: 18 Sep 2004

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Rendakor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:I try to judge as objectively as possible and have scored a lot of videos I'm not a fan of a lot higher or videos I like a lot lower because of what the judging criteria call for, so my overall rankings rarely reflect my personal taste in videos. I usually try to step outside of myself and think how others might view each video and if any groups of people would find enjoyment in a particular video or not. I'm not a fan of a few different genre's of videos but I try to evaluate and think in terms of "If I'm a fan of comedy/psycadellic/drama/action/etc. would I consider this video any good?"

I think animated's video turns on the fact if you enjoyed black humor or not. I like some black humor sometimes, but the video as a whole wasn't really to my taste, but if I was a fan of black humor I thought the video would have a lot to offer. I had really mixed feelings before even watching Animated's video because of the NSFW tag but after watching it I was a little surprised to find a video that was fairly well edited with good scene selection to accomplish its goal. Examining the scene selection and editing it really demonstrated an aptitude to really emphasize the absurdity of the song and the visuals to really nail what it was trying to be and it did go a little overboard on it, but it needed too because the original Creating Something Beautiful is full of so much good happytime feels that it needed to pump out the same level of OMG Feels but just on the other side of the spectrum.

But anyways, I don't want to tell other judges how to judge, and a certain amount of subjectivity is a given, but if too much subjective taste or personal bias is involved in judging then the best way for editors to approach this contest would be to effectively just pander to the tastes of the judges and that would have a stifling effect on creativity and diversity.

TL:DR - I worry that people will pander to judges and we'll have a landslide of cute upbeat videos in the future.

Image
Image Image
User avatar
Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
 
Joined: 08 Jan 2012

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Radical_Yue » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Kimberly wrote:Let's listen to how Shin is doing things and be judges and not critics.




:up:

A judge is supposed to be picked for their eye and ability to critique videos with set criteria, not for their personal opinions.
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Kimberly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:47 pm

I didn't lower a certain video's score just because I thought the effects were cheesy and ugly. Plus, I wasn't saying that about the original, because as it's already been mentioned, I'm not supposed to judge videos on that. Therefore, I thought the REMAKE's effects were cheesy and ugly. As I said before, the panel says, "Comments", not "Critique". I can post my thoughts however I want and if people don't like it, then sucks.

Just saying it again, I didn't lower my score on that video because I thought it was ugly. Infact, if you read my comment thoroughly, I said the effects were done well.

And I didn't realize that these days, opinions can't differ. If some people don't like what I consider my favorite video, I'll accept it.


Radical_Yue wrote:
Kimberly wrote:Let's listen to how Shin is doing things and be judges and not critics.

:up:

A judge is supposed to be picked for their eye and ability to critique videos with set criteria, not for their personal opinions.

Aw, I heart you too.
ImageImage
User avatar
Kimberly
Kardashian
 
Joined: 18 Sep 2004

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby kireblue » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 pm

just read all the comments about Animated's video so far :| I wanted to make my opinion fairly short, but it came out longer than I intended.

Spoiler :
I just decided to re-watch the video, and I'm still not able to take it seriously. This video seemed completely random to me, and I just don't feel that it works as a stand alone video. If someone were to watch it before they saw the original, I feel that they would be completely confused. The thing that made , , and really good remakes is that they are undoubtedly related to the original, but they can still stand alone as a sensible AMV. Even in the case of , its merit isn't due to the fact that it flipped the original on its head. Its a good video because it took one of the most unlikely anime / song combinations and made it look like a natural fit.

In the case of Animated's video, everything from the text to the Zombie apocalypse, to the "hit by a car montage", to the really weird scene of people with their faces tied to each others butt seemed really random. Its really hard for me to accept that these scenes were meant to be taken seriously and weren't just thrown in for the LOL factor.

In terms of the score I gave. I gave a 13/20 for concept because I feel that the video simply can not stand alone in my opinion. If you were to describe it, you absolutely must mention the original for it to make any sense. I gave a 17/20 for video/ audio quality because the quality was acceptable, but wasn't perfect. I gave a 16/20 for sync/ editing because the video was synced good, but the scene selection felt really inconsistent (I count scene selection as a part of editing). I gave a 15/20 for theme because the video defiantly fits the theme of being a remake, but I felt that just making a anti version of the original wasn't exceptionally creative, and it felt like a cop out in my opinion (I'm sorry for being so harsh). In terms of the overall category, I always use it to score points on how I enjoyed or disliked the video overall. I gave a 13 because I didn't find the satire funny, and I felt that a lot of it was really random.
Image
MomoCon AMV Exhibitions Director
Seishun Con Fan Media Director
User avatar
kireblue
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Radical_Yue » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Kimberly wrote:I didn't lower a certain video's score just because I thought the effects were cheesy and ugly. Plus, I wasn't saying that about the original, because as it's already been mentioned, I'm not supposed to judge videos on that. Therefore, I thought the REMAKE's effects were cheesy and ugly. As I said before, the panel says, "Comments", not "Critique". I can post my thoughts however I want and if people don't like it, then sucks.

Just saying it again, I didn't lower my score on that video because I thought it was ugly. Infact, if you read my comment thoroughly, I said the effects were done well.

And I didn't realize that these days, opinions can't differ. If some people don't like what I consider my favorite video, I'll accept it.


Radical_Yue wrote:
Kimberly wrote:Let's listen to how Shin is doing things and be judges and not critics.

:up:

A judge is supposed to be picked for their eye and ability to critique videos with set criteria, not for their personal opinions.

Aw, I heart you too.


:P <3

I honestly think the problem that we're having is that all the entrants go to the comments section expecting to read the reasoning behind scores and not personal opinions. This isn't a personal attack by the way, I think it's honestly a simple misunderstanding that is causing confusion.

EDIT: When someone uses the comments to say "I did not enjoy this video" even if it isn't being brought into the scoring, it really looks that way and that looks bad on the person who left that comment unless they clarify the fact that it is indeed their personal opinion but they scored x, y, & z because yadda yadda yadda.
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Kisanzi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 am

Are we still on this? I'm not really that bent out of shape about it, but if you would like to elaborate on the matter a bit more...

Kimberly wrote:I didn't lower a certain video's score just because I thought the effects were cheesy and ugly. Plus, I wasn't saying that about the original, because as it's already been mentioned, I'm not supposed to judge videos on that. Therefore, I thought the REMAKE's effects were cheesy and ugly. As I said before, the panel says, "Comments", not "Critique". I can post my thoughts however I want and if people don't like it, then sucks.


I never said you lowered a score, and I'm not mad or vindictive by any means here. I'm just saying that the broad way in which that comment was written just sounded like a blanket statement that bashed the entire visual theme of my video and the original.

It's hard to differentiate what about my take on the effects were cheesy or ugly from what you said seeing that I replicated almost the exact look of the original video with simply a different color to match the theme adjustment of my version of the video. So with no explanation, that comment can easily be misinterpreted in many ways. What about my take on the FX was cheesy and/or ugly? Did I do something that looked off? Was there something the original had that I was missing? You're just not a fan of purple? To avoid misunderstandings, it would help if you elaborated more. One more sentence would've made me completely understand. Your FX were cheesy in comparison to the original because "?????". Then I would've been like "OK. I getcha. Thanks for the clarification of your broad comment; and also I thank you for the insight just in case I want to polish and finish this video after the contest because now I know what to fix or tweak." It's fine if you don't like it, but if it's noteworthy enough for you to mention in your judging, then please tell me why you didn't like certain aspects of my video so that I can see your point and possibly fix it.
Image Image
User avatar
Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
 
Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Location: Colorado
Status: Getting to the roof!

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Kimberly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:44 am

Here's an extra comment on how I judged the editing for that video, since it may seem that I scored it lower because of the "cheesy and ugly effects".
Spoiler :
The maskings were perfect, except for one scene where I could see that you stuck a mask on top of the tv screen (1:09). Also, there is one clip at 0:42 that appears shortly compared to the ones before it and messes up the flow. The part with the television and computers was clever, but after a while, it seemed lazy and like it was just added to fill in space. In other words, it went on for too long.

May be a bit late, but it's to help "clarify".
ImageImage
User avatar
Kimberly
Kardashian
 
Joined: 18 Sep 2004

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Kimberly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:48 am

Kisanzi wrote:Are we still on this? I'm not really that bent out of shape about it, but if you would like to elaborate on the matter a bit more...

Kimberly wrote:I didn't lower a certain video's score just because I thought the effects were cheesy and ugly. Plus, I wasn't saying that about the original, because as it's already been mentioned, I'm not supposed to judge videos on that. Therefore, I thought the REMAKE's effects were cheesy and ugly. As I said before, the panel says, "Comments", not "Critique". I can post my thoughts however I want and if people don't like it, then sucks.

Was there something the original had that I was missing?

I'm supposed to judge the video and not compare it to the original, remember? The comparing is only for the theme.
ImageImage
User avatar
Kimberly
Kardashian
 
Joined: 18 Sep 2004

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Radical_Yue » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:50 am

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Pointing out a couple minor errors gives much better clarification than "ugly and cheesy" :up:

Moar of this kind of thing plzkthnxbai. Specifics instead of general statements that make it look like the entire thing was just flawed overall.
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Kisanzi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 am

@Kimberly: Thanks for the clarification. With that, all misunderstandings are cleared up and we can all be friends again and go on a picnic in a sunny meadow. :)
Image Image
User avatar
Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
 
Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Location: Colorado
Status: Getting to the roof!

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby Kimberly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:56 am

Radical_Yue wrote::up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Pointing out a couple minor errors gives much better clarification than "ugly and cheesy" :up:

Moar of this kind of thing plzkthnxbai. Specifics instead of general statements that make it look like the entire thing was just flawed overall.

Kisanzi wrote:@Kimberly: Thanks for the clarification. With that, all misunderstandings are cleared up and we can all be friends again and go on a picnic in a sunny meadow. :)

Yeah def. All good (: We can go poop out rainbows together.
ImageImage
User avatar
Kimberly
Kardashian
 
Joined: 18 Sep 2004

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Semifinals Results - The Final 3 Are He

Postby MycathatesyouAMV » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am

Contributing with my long and thought out response to add on to the drama:

Lol.
Talk to me on skypes and stuffs: Mycathatesyou0000
User avatar
MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Status: Looking for candy

PreviousNext

Return to Project OrgEditor Season 3: The King of Spring

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests