Smooth zoom transitions [Sony Vegas]

silverstone1294
Org Profile

Smooth zoom transitions [Sony Vegas]

Post by silverstone1294 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Example (CONTAINS ONE PIECE SPOILERS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTZy5AL ... DE40#t=35s
There are quite a few examples of it from 0:30 to 1:00, especially at 0:50. The guy just manages to transition seamlessly from one clip to another by zooming in or out. I tried to do this in Vegas using the pan/crop tool but every attempt so far has looked terrible. Can anyone explain how this is done?

Thanks

EDIT: I think I figured it out. Is this any good? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjX8XdqA ... e=youtu.be

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Re: Smooth zoom transitions [Sony Vegas]

Post by Eake4 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:30 am

Your attempt is not as good as it could've been because of the main reason that the part where you zoom in doesn't match with the secondary clip. Say for example you zoomed on into this emoticon :ying: but your next scene that became zoomed was this :awesome: instead. It wouldn't work.

Also on a technical aspect, using pan control in sony vegas is the conventional method of doing it if that is what you are using only. By playing around the zoom blurs, motion blurs and using masking to blur particular parts only, you can create a much smoother transition.

Hope this helps.

OBLiViONxVZx
Org Profile

Post by OBLiViONxVZx » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:18 am

Hey, I make basic video editing guides on youtube and I actually happened to make a video about this.

It shows how to make a smooth zoom and add some impact on the end of it to make a nice pleasing effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsyHk5D8um8

Let me know if this helped you at all.

Enigmo
Org Profile

Post by Enigmo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:54 am

Not just the matching and stuff, your zooms need to be quick as well. I usually don't let my really dynamic zooms last longer than 3 keyframes.
Image Image

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 am

To get a smooth zoom what I do is make sure what I'm zooming to matches with the clip I'm zooming on. Now in sony vegas I zoom about up to 4-6 keyframes and make sure you don't zoom in too close, just make it about half way or a little close to what you want to get it to. Once after this is done just get your other clip of what you are zooming to and just crossfade it with the other clip for about 2-3 keyframes and zoom that clip just a little bit and make the pan/crop settings to smooth. Make sure you don't do it too quick or too slow because then it will look sort of choppy and weird.

Hope you understand that though and hope this helps!

Return to “Effects & Techniques”