Shingeki no Kyojin

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Shingeki no Kyojin

Post by mirkosp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:17 am

Manga Helpers wrote:Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Elen vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin

Post by mirkosp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 am

This has show of the season potential. It's done by Wit Studio, which is a subsidiary of Production I.G., so the production quality is likely going to be there, and the original manga is good stuff to boot. Looking forward to it.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Agreed. This show has huge potential but if they fuck the story up then I'd imagine a metric ton of pitchforks from the manga fans. I'll be coming in with zero expectations past what I've seen from the trailer so hopefully it lives up to the hype that everyone put around it.

EimiJ7
Org Profile

Post by EimiJ7 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:48 pm

I just watched the first episode and I can tell you I'm definitely looking forward to this one. The animation was great, and the way that the characters and their world was introduced was really well done. I haven't read the manga, so I have no idea where this is going, but it seems like it's going to be really good :up:

Kain-x-spirits
Org Profile

Post by Kain-x-spirits » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:49 pm

EimiJ7 wrote:I just watched the first episode and I can tell you I'm definitely looking forward to this one. The animation was great, and the way that the characters and their world was introduced was really well done. I haven't read the manga, so I have no idea where this is going, but it seems like it's going to be really good :up:
This.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 am

Dear god, that was heavy as fuck.

Loved every bit of this first episode, except for the scene with the old lady. That part was too dramatic for me, and the whole interaction wasn't as organic as the rest of the dialogue in the ep. Plus, what kind of guy screams like a retard in front of the whole effing town saying that the recon corps does and has done nothing but have people killed? Way to make your squad look bad and put the whole damn town at unease. But besides that, I really loved the scene in the end with the mom. Every word that came out of their mouths was believable. Oh, and I love how the guard just nope'd the fuck out of there. Totally would've done the same if I were him, LOL.

And let me tell you right now that those titans are creepy as fuck. DON'T SMILE GOD DAMMIT YOU CREEPY BASTARDS, JUST STOP.

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 am

Holy shit! This is amazing! Need more! Seriously!
Fortunately, there's no exact number of episodes stated on myanimelist. Let's hope this isn't only 13 episodes long and that it doesn't get ruined. So far the best first episode this season imho.
pacotacoshell wrote:And let me tell you right now that those titans are creepy as fuck. DON'T SMILE GOD DAMMIT YOU CREEPY BASTARDS, JUST STOP.
I know right?! :awesome: They are fucking beautiful, in a way. :up:
ImageImage

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 am

ibabrak wrote:Fortunately, there's no exact number of episodes stated on myanimelist. Let's hope this isn't only 13 episodes long and that it doesn't get ruined. So far the best first episode this season imho.:
I started reading the manga tonight and they have about 30-40 chapters with 40 pages each, so I think they can stretch it to at least 24 eps. And the adaptation is really faithful so far so let's pray that that doesn't change.

I really can't imagine how some of these scenes are gonna look animated....I might die mid-episode from the epicness ;___;

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 am

pacotacoshell wrote:
ibabrak wrote:Fortunately, there's no exact number of episodes stated on myanimelist. Let's hope this isn't only 13 episodes long and that it doesn't get ruined. So far the best first episode this season imho.:
I started reading the manga tonight and they have about 30-40 chapters with 40 pages each, so I think they can stretch it to at least 24 eps. And the adaptation is really faithful so far so let's pray that that doesn't change.
Awesome! :awesome:
ImageImage

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:10 am

My usual advice is when there is an anime being made based off a manga, don't read the manga first. In almost every situation it will kill your enthusiasm for the anime, however I almost always enjoy reading the manga after watching the anime. It's probably because if I read the manga first I envision what is actually happening in my head, and it is almost always more exciting than what the anime portrays.

I think the only two anime series that I felt perfectly lived up to their manga counterparts were death note and mirai nikki (with the exception of the mirrai nikki anime ending which cut off just short of the manga's ending for some reason).

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”