2013 VCA General Discussions

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Post by AceD » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:35 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Solarius Scorch wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:I have the say, the results this year (as a whole) were much more satisfying than last year's results.
I agree. Well, my favourites mostly didn't make it, but that's kinda normal.

Although I really feel that the Comedy winner proves the fall of humanity. :P
According to the Russians, my Mother's Day Special video is a result of the moral decay of the West :asd:
I'd agree with them that it's overly crude, it's teen humor...Quite a few on amvnews are older males and quite a few females, not exactly going to target the audience well. Good technically though, but the concept sure as hell ain't for everybody :wink: .

also disagree with the nonsense about Umikas videos been boring, and the other guy waffling about what an AMV is, geez....

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 pm

AceD wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Solarius Scorch wrote:
I agree. Well, my favourites mostly didn't make it, but that's kinda normal.

Although I really feel that the Comedy winner proves the fall of humanity. :P
According to the Russians, my Mother's Day Special video is a result of the moral decay of the West :asd:
I'd agree with them that it's overly crude, it's teen humor...Quite a few on amvnews are older males and quite a few females, not exactly going to target the audience well. Good technically though, but the concept sure as hell ain't for everybody :wink: .

also disagree with the nonsense about Umikas videos been boring, and the other guy waffling about what an AMV is, geez....
I would say it's more of a breakdown in humor between cultures as I know women and older men who find it to be quite hilarious. I think the video itself fairs better with the American audiences as it was fairly successful in the convention circuit here.

As for "Umika's videos being boring", I simply stated I found them to be less than thrilling plot wise and overly concentrated on effects. I will say part is my rant is the amount of videos out there (not just Umika's) that focus more on the technical and ignore the story/plot. Umika's video Our Tapes was probably the best of the 3 this year and did well with the story, but we all have different taste in what entertains us and I found it to be rather dull and predictable. That said, I do prefer more light hearted and comedic videos as opposed to straight up drama.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 pm

I'll take concept over execution any day. While technically sound videos can be quite impressive, if the story or heart doesn't grab me (if i'm not entertained) then i will likely not watch it again.

One of my favorite amvs is Anime the Crazy despite it's MANY technical flaws. I don't care, it has so much personality and does what AMVs are supposed to do - get me jazzed and pumped about anime. I make AMVs because i like anime, not because it's a means to an end. - But I think that's where the butting of heads comes from. Some people use anime as a medium to express themselves artistically and they tend to focus on and put value editing skills. While others (like myself) care more about the animes themselves and aren't as concerned about how technically sound something they put together is.

Return to “2013 AnimeMusicVideos.Org Viewer's Choice Awards”