Ask Brad an After Effects Question - v2

Brad
Org Profile

Ask Brad an After Effects Question - v2

Post by Brad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Since my last thread got locked from inactivity, here we go again!

Org user illninofan recently PM'd me a question that I figured I'd answer publicly in case anybody else was interested.
illninofan wrote:how do YOU go through the AMV making process?

My thought is it goes something like, Start off in vegas gathering clips, timing it to the song, adding effects there ---> over to photoshop and AE for the finishing touches.
In full disclosure, I should state for anybody that doesn't know me well, I don't really make AMVs anymore. Or rather, I haven't made one for 4+ years. That being said, I can still answer based on how I would make one today if I were so inclined. Unfortunately though, the answer is entirely dependent on the TYPE of video I plan on making. If I had an idea that seemed like the proper solution was to just choose clips that fit my story and straight cut them to the song, than that's what I would do. If your video doesn't require effects, why use them?

However, the question was what is MY process like, and in most cases, I more than likely WOULD take it into AE for certain things, or just make the entire video in AE. I just wanted to get that first answer in there to drive home the idea that no video should be beholden to any set of rules. Do what makes the video match the vision in your head as best as you can.

So I can point to a few examples where I've used AE to plus up certain things. First let's look at my collaboration with Liz, in .

(I tried to do a video embed of the Org preview version, but unfortunately the preview is actually gone for some reason. Server issues? If you'd like to watch a streaming version, go here)

Now, the vast majority of the video was done with just simple edits in Adobe Premiere. The text in the video was done in After Effects. Premiere (as does Vegas, I'm assuming) does have it's own built-in titling features, but I'm just far more familiar with AE's. So for the clips that needed text, I exported a lossless video of just those sections, imported them into AE, added what I needed to add, exported that out to lossless, then brought that back into Premiere. Now, back then we were using Premiere 6.5, so before Premiere Pro. If I were to do it now, I could just right-click the clip and open it up in After Effects using Dynamic Link. It would make an AE comp the same size, duration and frame rate of the clip I want to affect, I could do my work, save it, close AE, go back to Premiere and the effects would be applied without having to render out anything. Pretty damn cool feature (and a strong selling point for Premiere vs. Vegas, but that's a whole other discussion).

But, text is a fairly obvious effect. What about the more subtle things that you wouldn't really know were affected? Well in the same video at around 2:00, you'll see the sunset in the background. Now, this does exist in the footage, but I really wanted this moment in the video to feel extra dramatic. The "Hold on" text punches hard and I wanted the footage to feel even more vibrant than it already did. So, I added a Knoll Light Factory lens flare on top of the sun, and slowly ramped up the brightness, with a quick crescendo leading into the next shot. It's subtle and 99% of viewers wouldn't be able to tell you did anything to it, but that's kind of the point. It didn't matter to me that people saw it as a "ooo cool effect." What mattered to me is that people were moved by that scene. Obviously it's purely subjective whether it worked or not, but it's what I was going for.

Let's look at some other examples of "invisible" effects that plus up a video for the sake of dramatic effect and storytelling. This time in Liz's solo video, (again, preview version isn't working. Streaming version here). There are roughly a dozen affected shots throughout this video, but I'm going to touch on 3 specifically.

Leading up to 00:25, we see the male character (Chiaki, but, not important to get the story) react to hearing the female character (Nodame) playing piano. He goes up to the door of the room she's playing in, we see her through the window, then the opposite view, where he smiles. Now, watching the video, it all makes sense and it moves the story along. This sequence of events, while it does technically happen in the anime, is not visually shown the way it's shown here. We don't actually see Nodame through the window and we don't see Shinichi on the other side reacting. But it was important to the story of the AMV to see this happen. So, I composited these elements together myself. Not terribly difficult, but it makes a world of difference.

At 02:24 we get to the emotional climax of the song and story. The big heartfelt touching moment that is supposed to make you smile. We see Nodame dancing happily with the male character who has been shown to be very serious and kinda grumpy throughout. Finally it's bright, colorful and smiley. Well, unfortunately in the show, this doesn't happen. Nodame kind of forces herself onto Chiaki and he reacts with a face of dread, and the lighting is murky and disparaging. So, I took a single frame of this shot, completely replaced his face with a version that I painted in with him smiling with his eyes closed, and light the scene to reflect the happy nature we're trying to convey. Then I just masked out the face and tracked it onto his. All of a sudden the shot works.

Finally, at 03:28. The last shot of the video. Our characters are in a loving embrace, everything is beautiful and there's one final piano hit that just begged to have something move with it (not to mention, the name of the video is Sunset, and it felt only appropriate to end on an actual sunset). So showing a camera move up to the sky on that piano hit felt very good. One problem. It's 2 completely separate shots. In the show, the camera is locked off on the embrace, then it cuts to the sky. So, in AE, I combined the 2 shots together into one tall comp, put that into a normal sized comp, and animated the camera moving on my own. I also added a bit of color correction to happily tie it all together.

Now, please don't think that I'm trying to tell you that THIS is the only good way to use effects in your video. If you're making an AMV that really benefits from in your face, bad ass, motion graphic'y goodness, dude, go for it! But what I AM saying, is really THINK about what it is you're trying to get across. Many many people that want to learn AE (or VFX in general) get way too caught up in the "how?" and don't spend enough time considering the "why?"

So I hope that that answered your question. If you have any more, please please use this thread to ask away. And if anybody else has thoughts about this topic, please contribute.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

illninofan
Org Profile

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question - v2

Post by illninofan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Awesome! Thanks for more than answering my questions, btw. Hopefully I'm not the only n00b here that can gain something from it. I was learning how to use the various programs and I feel like I've made some progress in the past month or so that I've actually been posting here, but this will only serve to help accelerate the process.

Thanks again, Brad. :)

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:53 pm

No problem. And if you have specific questions dealing with After Effects (I've never used Vegas. Can't help there), like how to solve a certain problem or get a certain look, let me know and I'll see if I can record a tutorial for you and post it on the site.

Chez
Not Mexican
Org Profile

Post by Chez » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:39 am

Brad no questions just saying your awesome and I learned abit from the last ask brad o.o. Maybe some general tips like work flow set ups ( nested comps can get lost really easy ) since most after effects problems are I want to do X effect and are situational to the video or people wanting to copy pasta other peoples ideas cause it looks cool.
Image I stream and stuff o.o

halex1316
Org Profile

Post by halex1316 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:09 am

In light of your recent responses to my question regarding After Effects, I have a question (one that you might be able to make a video of, as it would probably be the most efficient in learning).

Could you go through how you often organize your files, workspace, etc? For example, I know that you're able to import folders, and in the comp organization window (is that what it's called?) it will show the folders, however, those directories are now solely in After Effects. You can add folders, reorganize the files, rename them (for use in the project) without affecting the names / file structure of the original folder. Is there any way to sync this so that if you add files to the folders outside after effects, the file structure in after effects updates? I wouldn't want it to work the other way around, because it would just mess up everything I had set for the project. Hopefully you can help with this, because I really want to learn After Effects efficiently, and get a nice workflow down.

You know, just your thought process when starting a new project, how you lay out your ideas, and build them in After Effects.

If you need further clarification, I can try and help. Much appreciated!

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:06 am

I will do a general workflow/organization video sometime soon.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:15 am

Can you tell me why time waits for no one ?
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 am

Because reasons

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:14 am

Who is AtomX?