2013 VCA General Discussions

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby Solarius Scorch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Bill Ein wrote:AMV have rules? I know one for contests: not more 50% original animation, live action or other not anime content. What I see in "Paper Heart": anime character and anime backgrounds + pancil effect + 10-30% of original content. Why it's not AMV? You say "It's not AMV, because it break the rules. I think so!" But where? Where these rules? Why this video not disqualified if it's not AMV? Maybe "Jihaku" or "Magic Pad" is not AMV too?
But now you can stop to shit bricks because "Paper Heart" is the last Qwaqa's AMV.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English


I never said it broke any written rules. I said it broke some rules regarding aesthetics, related to the format of a medium. As for what these rules are, I think I have explained them in details in my previous post.
Also, as I also explained, it doesn't mean I don't like these clips (because I do, a lot). I just don't think they aren't strictly AMV's.
Kyssifur wrote:Just noticed.. if it's instrumental, why is it in best lipsync category?
User avatar
Solarius Scorch
 
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Location: Cracow, PL

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby l33tmeatwad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Bill Ein wrote:l33tmeatwad, I'm not understand you because my English is bad, but

Perhaps you should get someone that speaks English to translate for you...also, seen that video, it was kinda meh...
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby Radical_Yue » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Don't feel like getting into this conversation but I'll just drop this here and be on my way...




#34 Top 10% of all time
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:20 pm

We have a weird double standard here for original work that runs counter to every other bit of rules regarding "what is anime" for upload/catalog purposes. It always has been the wrong call and it probably always will be the wrong call if we want to be consistent with the other bits of the rules that require the footage to be commercially produced.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby Solarius Scorch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Don't feel like getting into this conversation but I'll just drop this here and be on my way...




#34 Top 10% of all time


Love it. :D Have been for many years.
Still, if it's an AMV, than anything can be...
Kyssifur wrote:Just noticed.. if it's instrumental, why is it in best lipsync category?
User avatar
Solarius Scorch
 
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Location: Cracow, PL


Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby AceD » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:35 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Solarius Scorch wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:I have the say, the results this year (as a whole) were much more satisfying than last year's results.


I agree. Well, my favourites mostly didn't make it, but that's kinda normal.

Although I really feel that the Comedy winner proves the fall of humanity. :P

According to the Russians, my Mother's Day Special video is a result of the moral decay of the West :asd:
I'd agree with them that it's overly crude, it's teen humor...Quite a few on amvnews are older males and quite a few females, not exactly going to target the audience well. Good technically though, but the concept sure as hell ain't for everybody :wink: .

also disagree with the nonsense about Umikas videos been boring, and the other guy waffling about what an AMV is, geez....
User avatar
AceD
I AM THE BEST
 
Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Status: Lurking

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby l33tmeatwad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 pm

AceD wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Solarius Scorch wrote:
I agree. Well, my favourites mostly didn't make it, but that's kinda normal.

Although I really feel that the Comedy winner proves the fall of humanity. :P

According to the Russians, my Mother's Day Special video is a result of the moral decay of the West :asd:
I'd agree with them that it's overly crude, it's teen humor...Quite a few on amvnews are older males and quite a few females, not exactly going to target the audience well. Good technically though, but the concept sure as hell ain't for everybody :wink: .

also disagree with the nonsense about Umikas videos been boring, and the other guy waffling about what an AMV is, geez....

I would say it's more of a breakdown in humor between cultures as I know women and older men who find it to be quite hilarious. I think the video itself fairs better with the American audiences as it was fairly successful in the convention circuit here.

As for "Umika's videos being boring", I simply stated I found them to be less than thrilling plot wise and overly concentrated on effects. I will say part is my rant is the amount of videos out there (not just Umika's) that focus more on the technical and ignore the story/plot. Umika's video Our Tapes was probably the best of the 3 this year and did well with the story, but we all have different taste in what entertains us and I found it to be rather dull and predictable. That said, I do prefer more light hearted and comedic videos as opposed to straight up drama.
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby Rider4Z » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 pm

I'll take concept over execution any day. While technically sound videos can be quite impressive, if the story or heart doesn't grab me (if i'm not entertained) then i will likely not watch it again.

One of my favorite amvs is Anime the Crazy despite it's MANY technical flaws. I don't care, it has so much personality and does what AMVs are supposed to do - get me jazzed and pumped about anime. I make AMVs because i like anime, not because it's a means to an end. - But I think that's where the butting of heads comes from. Some people use anime as a medium to express themselves artistically and they tend to focus on and put value editing skills. While others (like myself) care more about the animes themselves and aren't as concerned about how technically sound something they put together is.
Image Image
Image Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
User avatar
Rider4Z
Pirate King
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Location: Your pants
Status: ppbbbbbbbbbb~

Previous

Return to 2013 AnimeMusicVideos.Org Viewer's Choice Awards

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests