2013 VCA General Discussions

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby Ryvannis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 am

The org has a store? That's new. I'm tempted to pickup that smexy mousepad. <3

Anyways I made my final selections. I didn't vote too much but I did pick out the categories that I have seen in the finalists.
Ryvannis

Postby l33tmeatwad » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:45 am

I have the say, the results this year (as a whole) were much more satisfying than last year's results.
Guides, Scripts, & Software: AMV 101 | AMVpack | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
l33tmeatwad

Postby ngsilver » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:48 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:I have the say, the results this year (as a whole) were much more predictable than last year's results.

fixed :awesome:
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Solarius Scorch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:36 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:I have the say, the results this year (as a whole) were much more satisfying than last year's results.

I agree. Well, my favourites mostly didn't make it, but that's kinda normal.

Although I really feel that the Comedy winner proves the fall of humanity. :P
Kyssifur wrote:Just noticed.. if it's instrumental, why is it in best lipsync category?
Solarius Scorch

Postby l33tmeatwad » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Solarius Scorch wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:I have the say, the results this year (as a whole) were much more satisfying than last year's results.

I agree. Well, my favourites mostly didn't make it, but that's kinda normal.

Although I really feel that the Comedy winner proves the fall of humanity. :P

According to the Russians, my Mother's Day Special video is a result of the moral decay of the West :asd:
l33tmeatwad

Postby Solarius Scorch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Solarius Scorch wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:According to the Russians, my Mother's Day Special video is a result of the moral decay of the West :asd:

Moral decay for the win! :P

Well, the AMV was funny and cleverly done. Truly one of the best this year.
Kyssifur wrote:Just noticed.. if it's instrumental, why is it in best lipsync category?
Solarius Scorch

Postby MimS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 am

Congrats all
Didn't vote this year 'cause I considered I didn't know enough videos to have a proper op on who deserves the win but have to say, in the end, it turns out most of the vid I've seen and considered good did win so it's kinda funny.

Qwaqa everywhere, he's the boss, definitely haha
I prefer Ivy Bridge to Magic Eye so I'd have prefered it to win best single source if I could choose but well, nvm :)
MimS
Baguette Master

Postby Solarius Scorch » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:30 am

I'm kinda torn about Paper Heart's success. On one hand, it's genuinely amazing and impressive, as any other work that involves quaqa. On the other, I find it hard to call it an AMV - it's an animated movie using some anime sources. I prefer to stick to a more narrow definition of an AMV that doesn't transgress this border between "normal" special effects and creation of new material, because I believe it's no longer an AMV - such a creation belongs to a different genre of visual arts. The same applies to many other excellent AMVs, like AceMan's for example.

But enough of my preaching. I wonder what would you consider the great losers of this year? I mean videos which were supposed to be successful, but finally failed to win anything substantial. For me it would be Otohiko's - easily my Video of the Year (despite my unfamiliarity with Russian) which nonetheless failed to even qualify. Also Kisanzi's , which won so many nominations but not a single final prize.
Solarius Scorch

Postby Bill Ein » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 am

Solarius Scorch wrote:On the other, I find it hard to call it an AMV - it's an animated movie using some anime sources.

To many effects. Not some supernatural. Qwaqa not draws missing frames like Umika

http://www.amvnews.ru/images/news/Metam ... ing-Of.gif
http://www.amvnews.ru/images/news/Our-T ... ing-Of.jpg
http://www.amvnews.ru/images/news/Umika ... ing.of.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prqdN8vsTrg

And who of them makes not AMV now?
Solarius Scorch wrote:Otohiko's

Solarius Scorch wrote:which nonetheless failed to even qualify

+1
I was hoping that he would win two awards.

P.S. Sorry for my English
Bill Ein

Postby Nya-chan Production » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:03 am

Bill Ein wrote:(...) Qwaqa not draws missing frames like Umika (...)

Oh, of course he pretty much does.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby l33tmeatwad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 am

I will start off and say I'm not a fan of crossovers, and I have yet to see one that I really liked other than Paper Heart. While it's impressive and a lot of work to do what Umika did, I didn't find any of them to be really compelling or entertaining overall. I've noticed a huge trend with videos submitted to Akross or AMVnews that tend to put the emphasis on "wowing" other editors with difficult edits. While it is impressive, I watch AMVs to be entertained and most of these videos did not really do anything for me outside of being impressed with the effort. While Umika's videos do look seamless, I really dislike the overall washed out look these videos have, you lose the beauty and colors the original sources have and take the "cheap" route to making sure the color scheme of both characters match which tends to come across dream like and the characters don't seem real. That said, I do like the way these videos look as opposed to that crossover that won last year ("All That You Can't Leave Behind") which for a majority of the video the characters didn't look like they belonged together at all.
l33tmeatwad

Postby Nya-chan Production » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:

I will start off and say I'm not a fan of crossovers, and I have yet to see one that I really liked other than Paper Heart. While it's impressive and a lot of work to do what Umika did, I didn't find any of them to be really compelling or entertaining overall. I've noticed a huge trend with videos submitted to Akross or AMVnews that tend to put the emphasis on "wowing" other editors with difficult edits. While it is impressive, I watch AMVs to be entertained and most of these videos did not really do anything for me outside of being impressed with the effort. While Umika's videos do look seamless, I really dislike the overall washed out look these videos have, you lose the beauty and colors the original sources have and take the "cheap" route to making sure the color scheme of both characters match which tends to come across dream like and the characters don't seem real. That said, I do like the way these videos look as opposed to that crossover that won last year ("All That You Can't Leave Behind") which for a majority of the video the characters didn't look like they belonged together at all.

You took the words out of my mouth!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby Bill Ein » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 pm

l33tmeatwad, I'm not understand you because my English is bad, but
Bill Ein

Postby Solarius Scorch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:11 pm

And I agree with l33tmeatwad too. Editing videos with making them as technically advanced as possible as the main goal is somewhat perverse and I don't take much pleasure from watching such things. I don't know Umika's portfolio well enough to see if her projects are like that (I actually liked Our Tapes, it was very well directed and told an engaging story), but I definitely agree with the general thought.

However, in my initial post I meant something else, though related. My point is that every domain of arts is defined by its external frames, or by a fine line that separates it from other kinds of human creativity. For example if you go to see a collection of stained-glass windows in a museum, ones like in medieval cathedrals, and among the exhibits you see one that is made not just of glass and lead but also of steel and wood, you are confused: it may be beautiful, but it's not not really a medieval-like stained glass window. Similarly, an AMV is supposed to be composed of fragments of anime; adding any other content in my opinion automatically kicks it out of orbit and into another medium. I'm not denying it may still be good art, but it's not an AMV any more, just like a flat sculpture of stained glass, lead, steel and wood is not a church window - it's a damn sculpture.

Of course it doesn't mean I do not tolerate special effects in AMV's; masking and even transferring characters between anime is fine, because no extra content is added. That's why I don't mind even heavily edited AMV's, like Our Tapes Kitty and Gallia's works (Saudade, In Terminis). Titles like Paper Heart or Andromeda are different though: they use sources other than anime, create new visual elements and adhere to different aesthetic rules. Not only are they incompatible with most AMV's (because it's different medium), I think they're sort of unfair, because otherwise the creators would have to work with limited, well-defined material that is original footage. That's why I'm not too fond of them as a viewer: they break the rules of what an AMV is.
Solarius Scorch

Postby Bill Ein » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:30 pm

AMV have rules? I know one for contests: not more 50% original animation, live action or other not anime content. What I see in "Paper Heart": anime character and anime backgrounds + pancil effect + 10-30% of original content. Why it's not AMV? You say "It's not AMV, because it break the rules. I think so!" But where? Where these rules? Why this video not disqualified if it's not AMV? Maybe "Jihaku" or "Magic Pad" is not AMV too?
But now you can stop to shit bricks because "Paper Heart" is the last Qwaqa's AMV.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English
Bill Ein

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 AnimeMusicVideos.Org Viewer's Choice Awards