P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

This is the official forum for Project OrgEditor Season 3, hosted by CodeZTM.

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby pacotacoshell » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Woah, I didn't even put that taco in my last post and it magically got there. It's fate. :taco:

Vid 1: L-O-FREAKING-L, I'm sorry but that masked part at 0:29 made me laugh a little too hard. Other than that, the crossover bits are good. You got the mood right for each part too. Though the lip sync could be tighter and some of the facial expressions could have matched better. Some other technical stuff like bad quality on a lot of parts (that you probably over-zoomed) and some frame blending. But overall it's a good vid, and it'll definitely be something I keep when this gets polished for an org version.
Vid 2: The story's good, but I don't really like the editing that much. The sync's not there at all for me, and some of the cuts are pretty harsh.
Vid 3: Awww, and here I thought they were gonna be killing the wolf girl. The Hellsing Ultimate bits were out of place and way too noticeable. At one point I thought this was an attempted thriller version of Twilight. Also, you really need intense sync with this kind of song or else it gets boring quick. Not many of the super loud beats were hit so you don't feel the impact that you would want here. Overall looked promising but didn't sell at all for me in the end.
Vid 4: Oh my lord the crossfades. SO MANY FREAKING CROSSFADES. >___> Tons of respect for the Mawaru Penguindrum usage though. Some gripes: again, the crossfades. There was a good amount of lip flap here too. Also, your story was all over the place. You added all of these characters that were irrelevant to the story you were trying to portray (even though they matched the lyrics but that's besides the point), when it should have been just Himari and the brothers. Overall you main story was good, but less crossfades and removal of irrelevant characters are needed. Oh and 0:35-0:37 was perfect.
Vid 5: OH MY GOD THIS IS JUST SOMETHING ELSE, I MEAN I MIGHT BE BIASED RIGHT NOW BUT GOD. I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WERE OTHER PEOPLE THAT LISTEN TO SARA BAREILLES ;________________________; Okay seriously. Good editing, but lazy scene selection. Too many OPs and EDs that didn't even fit. Lots of pans needed here too, a good amount of clips were really, really static. OKAY THAT'S IT BACK TO FANBOYING. MAN THIS WAS SO FREAKING GOOD AND I SERIOUSLY LOVE WHOEVER MADE THIS VID. SERIOUSLY. PLEASE LET ME BETA TEST THIS FOR YOU BEFORE YOU PUT THIS ON THE ORG. The world needs more amazing Sara Bareilles vids and this would be one of the besterestest after some really good polishing.
Vid 6: Man those really long parts of black in the beginning make me really sad. You had a whole 3 1/2 seconds of black at 0:50. You could have definitely filled in something there. The story was sorta promising, but I didn't feel any sense of closure to the story at the end. She beat Lancer and then what? We were back to basically the beginning of the story and nothing happened. No progress at all. It felt like you just tried to curve the story into a typical action vid with really, really tiny hints of the story being there.
Vid 7: Oh hey I just downloaded this anime the other day. I have some problems with the sync on a few parts, and some hardcuts shouldn't have been hardcuts. But overall I thought it was a pretty solid vid with good storytelling.
Vid 8: I didn't really get the story when I watched it so I won't comment on it. As a stand alone video, I think it's pretty average. I didn't like the sync overall, but you managed to hit the nail on the impact near the end. And...yeah. That's pretty much it <___<
Vid 9: Ooooh, I like this. Really creative typography going on. It's really good in the first half, but the second half falls pretty hard in the sync department. So many long clips on such a high impact, fast paced part of the song. Also that overlay was too much near the ending (around 2:10). It was way too harsh and ruined the picture for me, especially at the clip where she falls. Some panning needed on a good amount of parts too. But overall, great storytelling here. I've never watched the anime so I don't know if this was the original story, but it gave me feels. ;__;

My top tres would probably be 5, 1, and 9 (in order). Have a taco, friends. :taco:

Oh and props for no drops again this round!
Image
User avatar
pacotacoshell
 
Joined: 07 Nov 2011

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby AngelDragoon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:00 pm

5, 6, and 7 are my favorites for this round. :up: (Extra special :taco: for video number 7. I understood what you were trying to convey while still having a pretty original spin on it. Then again, I'm probably biased since Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale. <3 )
User avatar
AngelDragoon
 
Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Location: The Center of the Mitten

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby meleechampion » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 pm

pacotacoshell wrote:Oh and props for no drops again this round!

There were three drops. >.>
User avatar
meleechampion
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Status: Since when did we get statuses?

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby pacotacoshell » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 am

meleechampion wrote:
pacotacoshell wrote:Oh and props for no drops again this round!

There were three drops. >.>

I only looked at the safe contestants list from the r2 result thread, I forgot about the top 3 <_____< Have a taco to forget this ever happened :taco:
Image
User avatar
pacotacoshell
 
Joined: 07 Nov 2011

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby Radical_Yue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:19 am

Video 1

Spoiler :
- Concept is easy enough to understand
- You tried?


- Laughably bad effects work
- Even for a trailer it was lazy


Trailers were guaranteed to score you theme this round considering all that goes into the majority of trailers are "match this scene with this sound/line" and you're basically given story line as long as you pull that off. While you managed to do this for the most part, the means that you used were not so great. I could nitpick on specific effects but that would be pointless because I'd be going over all of them. I know that what you attempted was actually a pretty major thing being a crossover in such a short time span but I'm going to go after you just like I did Lopez in the CDVV IC. If you're going to attempt something like this then you better make sure it's done right. You can't submit a stick figure drawing coupled with an awesome concept essay to an art competition and expect people to say "Well, they obviously had brilliant plans but they didn't have the time so we'll just pretend they actually finished it and it is therefore awesome!" It's nice that you're shooting for the stars but if you've only got an hour to build a rocket ship you need to rethink your game plan.


Video 2

Spoiler :
-Solid concept with lesbo-sleeping beauty

-Messy editing

This one was easy enough to understand once it got going. Homura is an evil witch who puts the blue power ranger to sleep and the red power ranger has to save her because they want to have lesbian sexy times or something. The first thing that bugged me however was it was like, blue girl was cursed and then somehow she made it onto a train and even went running around for a bit. My theory behind this is that before she was cursed she drank like, 5 redbulls so it's taking a while for the curse to kick in. But finally, she passes out and red is out to save her. Now, so far so good, but your battle sequence is probably the one thing that bugs me the most. Sure, you've got some awesome scenes of the red power ranger doing her thing and looking like a bamf...but what in the hell is she fighting? It's impossible to identify with, care for, or feel any sense of anticipation concerning a character if you have no idea what the hell she is fighting and why it's so difficult. Beyond the scene that shows the monster at the start of the battle and one where it blows up at the end, for all I know it could've been attempting to tickle her to death with hugs and bunnies. But it's coo' because Blue wakes up and has no idea who her savior is and it's okay because Red is chillin outside her window looking all stalker-y and eating apples. And they all lived happily ever after.

Oh, and don't think no one caught that scene you reversed the speed on. Nice try. :ying:


Video 3
Spoiler :
- :taco:
- Editing was rather solid


- What the hell is going on?
- Dat eye roto.


I see the wolves, and there is the boy...but where is the whole 'lying is bad' moral that the entire fairy tale is based around? The only time I can imagine him crying is when the wolves rip him to shreds. It's like you skipped the boring part of the fairy tale and went straight into death by wolf. I assume that the "consequences" the title speaks of are that if you are within a 50 miles radius of wolves they will eat you. That's what you get for being within a 50 mile radius of wolves. Consequences. :|

Also, dat eye roto. :taco:


Video 4
Spoiler :
- Really great/solid editing
- Very interesting take on Snow White


- Why was the brown hair girl raped?
- Wait...it wasn't snow white?


The editing level in this video is easily one of the highest this round without a doubt, but your concept is killing you. For one, I really don't understand why the brown hair girl got raped. She seemed nice enough so what'd she ever do to you?
And then we have the main character, Snow Whi-er...Sleeping Beauty. With all the apple symbolism and such in Penguindrum and the way this video was set up I was totally sure it was Snow White (the other princess who falls asleep) minus those creepy midgets she has chosen to hang out with, but Sleeping Beauty eh? That is where you kind of lost me considering she spent most of the video awake and also probably wondering why brownie got raped. I do give you credit for this song though just because it's this song. All credit given may be exchanged at Paco Taco's Taco Shop and Bordello.


Video 5
Spoiler :
- Probably the only video I can see myself watching outside of this contest and enjoying
- Solid editing overall


- Utena REALLY stood out quality wise among your other sources
- Beyond Air girl getting her hair cut, she really didn't have a purpose


This is probably my favorite song by this artist so I went into the video prepared to cut the editor if they screwed it up. You sir, shall escape with minor scratches. The video was entertaining as a whole and as I said, it's probably the only one of the batch I can see myself watching outside of the contest and enjoying. One of the main problems I have with Org Editor is that people try sooo hard to work with an esoteric theme that they completely forget about making the video enjoyable to watch when viewed outside of the contest. This video went with an interesting take on the theme and was pretty fun to watch. The only major complaints I had were the Utena footage and Air. Utena REALLY needed to be cleaned up. When placed next to brand spanking new shiny shows, it looked like it had been beaten with an ugly stick for several days straight. As for Air, beyond the whole cutting hair lyric, it really felt like she didn't fit there at all. All the other girls you selected display a wide range of emotions while Air girl only really knows how to spin around and look really happy or really tired like she was slipped a date rape drug.


Video 6
Spoiler :
- Yup, Fate/Zero is a really pretty source

- Bro, do you even font?

If it wasn't for the text, I would have no idea what the hell was going on in this video and even then it devolves into every Fate/Zero video ever. Yes, those scenes are very pretty but overall they felt like giant unedited fight sequences with text wrapped around them trying to make sense of things. The text however, was almost impossible to read half the time due to the font section. You tried to take a lame fairy tale and make it badass but instead you made a Fate/Zero video that looks like all the others. I give you credit for trying but next time you need to mix things up. Those fight sequences may be gorgeous but I can only watch them so many times.


Video 7
Spoiler :
- You tried?
- God, Xam'd is pretty


- Dear god that was LONG

I am a HUGE Xam'd fan and now I am disappoint. Beauty and the Beast would've worked brilliantly if done right but you chose a long, monotonous song that doesn't really change and you've created a long monotonous video. As I watch this there were glimpses of what you were going for but because of the length it was easy to see there were long stretches of cop out trying to fill the timeline. While it's ambitious to attempt a full song without cutting it, this was one of those situations where it actually worked against you as opposed to enhancing the video. You need to recognize the limitations you're working with, cut things down and apply more focus.


Video 8
Spoiler :
This video shall henceforth be re-titled "The Tower of Babel 2: The Tower Strikes Back (Also, zombies or some shit. Did you see that kid hit his mom with a bat?!)"


Video 9
Spoiler :
- Very interesting take on The Little Mermaid

- That color/flame overlay near the end
- You made me cry and now we can never be friends


Seeing a take on the original story done like this was really neat! I'm a big Kanon fan so I will admit I got slightly happy in my pants when I saw you were doing a Makoto profile. Then I got incredibly sad in my pants when I remembered how it ended for Makoto ;_; Overall, you got your story across very well and the actual storybook effects at the very beginning and end looked pretty good. That random fire/orange effect that you threw in though...just, no man. Don't do that again. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go punch the next person that tells me "Shiori had it pretty bad too." SHUT UP. SHIORI GOT TO LIVE.


EDIT: And a message to you guys that dropped, you suck. Seriously :| MeleeChampion freakin' IC'd a video in 2 hours last round and still made something better than you did. Why is that you ask? Because you made NOTHING. If your schedule wasn't going to work out you should've dropped at the start of the round so someone who didn't make it last round could've taken your spot. At least some of them still really wanted to edit. Not cool bro. NOT COOL. GUILT TRIP!
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby siny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:20 am

AW this round! <3 <3 <3

Spoiler :
Video 1: Ahah I just knew someone would do this! Anyway, although your video was funny I don't think the crossover was that successful? Some of your transitions need work and you could have taken a bit of time to make the sources blend a bit more, with color correction, etc. Concept wise, well you picked a trailer so you're storyline is given to you on a plate... I'm not sure that was safe ;_;

Video 2: You know I like your video, but while watching it I had the feeling that you started with time but at the end you totally rushed it. And seriously, who am I to judge lack of time on a contest like this? I like your story and I think it's an interesting view from the tale. One thing that got a bit confusing around the middle... you jumped from (oh god I'm sorry but I'm really bad with names lol) the POV of the blue hair girl to the red hair girl, though the song keeps still feels like it's from the "sleeping beauty" POV, get it? But that's a minor detail, though to follow the story it got a bit confusing imo. The ending was a bit too sudden! You could have ended the fight with an explosion or something and then when all turns white she wokes up, slowwwwwwwly. It was too fast, so you missed that fairytale cheesy feeling ;p

Video 3: Your video is pretty cool and I like the idea! You named it "Consequences", but what about those that don't know the tale? Peter told 3 lies and that's why no one comes to save him from the wolf when it's real deal. So your viewers only know that well if you see a wolf and don't run fast enough, he will eat you. Not the real moral of the story, which is, you must not tell lies, etc etc. And you could have solved this easily! You could have picked another song, a more playful happy one, show some pretty scenes of the fields and show some happy people and while you're doing this you tell the story with text OR (and this would have been really cool) have someone on the background telling the story (ask a friend or something). That would have given you the fable feeling, then you could have ended that whole introduction with Peter laughing (because doing pranks is funny for me). And then your video comes in! :awesome:

Video 4: I'm absolutely loved this! One of my favorites until now. The editing is good, I can connect the story with the fairytale, the song is just beautiful (oh I know this shouldn't be a reason but it's just so pretty!). I only watched like 2 episodes of this anime (sadly I know), so I got a bit confused at why you used two different girls for this. So I would kinda exclude the scenes from the short hair girl and focus only on the long hair one. I also think your "memories" were a bit too colorful and that could be confusing too, because well she's sleeping! lol

Video 5: LOVE THIS ONE! Seriously, my eyes were stuck on this video the entire time! Really enjoyed it! And ahah I can see you had some fun editing this and trying to match the girls to the fables. Great one :))

Video 6: You know, this seems like a beta to a great video. I love the concept, and I haven't seen the movie Snow White and The Huntsman, but it sure reminded me of it! So I think it has the same feeling, which is awesome. I love the fable feeling that your introduction and the text gave (check dafont.com for a more eligible and pretty font!). You need to work on the transitions, add some pans and zooms. ALSO, I think you're missing some emotional scenes, leave the climax of the song for the fights. Your ending was tooooooooo abrupt and I didn't really understand. My advice, because I think this would be a very cool video, is to come back to this idea after the contest is over. I think it could turn into a very enjoyable video and one thing I learned with POE is that you can get some really cool ideas from it :) so come back to it when you have more time!

Video 7: WHAT there was no kisssss! Ahah sorry ;p but your video made me ship them. lol. Anyway! It was a bit confusing at first to identify the beauty? But then it got clear. Then it was a bit confusing to understand what were memories, what was the present, just... I dunno, but since I never watched the anime I couldn't pick that up. To be honest, when he saved her and got back to being human I thought it was the ending of your video? I got the feeling that you wanted to tell us all of their story, BUT remember that's not really following the theme for this. Sure, you have a song that might fit the anime and you have a beast and a beauty. But it's likely that the story of your anime won't fit the fable, so YOU must be the one to tell us and make that scene selection. Doesn't matter if you jump from episode to episode, just that the viewer (even if it's someone who already watched the anime) can see the story you're trying to tell us.

Video 8: Ugh I feel bad for not knowing this fable ;_;... Editing wise I loved it, I think it's a very powerful video. And what I got was that all that war and weapons and stuff turned people and things into mutations (and zombies, I believe I saw zombies!). That was it lol. I think the ending was a bit too sudden!

Video 9: !!! Let's start with the bad stuff. Editing wise, it could be better, but yes well a week! I know, I know *pats*. I think that using that font kinda let me down (I'M SORRY, I'M A DESIGNER AND I CAN'T HELP IT! :() and the effects on the text. Though, ahah, funny thing is... when I learned that effect I couldn't stop using it (sadly I got videos that can prove that lol), so I get it! But no, no, don't. ;p The same for the overlay texture you used... Not really a fan of it. And now for the good stuff... This is my favorite video concept wise. There's too many good things to say, first the fact that you dismissed the story practically everyone knows from Disney. You told us the real story with the sad ending (except that Makoto is a girl and on the real story it's a boy, doesn't matter!). Also THE FOX! The fact that it's a fox and not a mermaid... I loved that! That shows that you really thought this through and that's what the idea of this contest is. To go further than what it is expected! Also, your story was very solid! Good job! :)) plenty of feels! I think if you work on this a bit more, you can submit it to a con for sure!
Image
User avatar
siny
 
Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Location: Portugal

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby SilverFreedoms » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 am

Radical_Yue wrote:Video 1

Spoiler :
- Concept is easy enough to understand
- You tried?


- Laughably bad effects work
- Even for a trailer it was lazy


Trailers were guaranteed to score you theme this round considering all that goes into the majority of trailers are "match this scene with this sound/line" and you're basically given story line as long as you pull that off. While you managed to do this for the most part, the means that you used were not so great. I could nitpick on specific effects but that would be pointless because I'd be going over all of them. I know that what you attempted was actually a pretty major thing being a crossover in such a short time span but I'm going to go after you just like I did Lopez in the CDVV IC. If you're going to attempt something like this then you better make sure it's done right. You can't submit a stick figure drawing coupled with an awesome concept essay to an art competition and expect people to say "Well, they obviously had brilliant plans but they didn't have the time so we'll just pretend they actually finished it and it is therefore awesome!" It's nice that you're shooting for the stars but if you've only got an hour to build a rocket ship you need to rethink your game plan.


Video 2

Spoiler :
-Solid concept with lesbo-sleeping beauty

-Messy editing

This one was easy enough to understand once it got going. Homura is an evil witch who puts the blue power ranger to sleep and the red power ranger has to save her because they want to have lesbian sexy times or something. The first thing that bugged me however was it was like, blue girl was cursed and then somehow she made it onto a train and even went running around for a bit. My theory behind this is that before she was cursed she drank like, 5 redbulls so it's taking a while for the curse to kick in. But finally, she passes out and red is out to save her. Now, so far so good, but your battle sequence is probably the one thing that bugs me the most. Sure, you've got some awesome scenes of the red power ranger doing her thing and looking like a bamf...but what in the hell is she fighting? It's impossible to identify with, care for, or feel any sense of anticipation concerning a character if you have no idea what the hell she is fighting and why it's so difficult. Beyond the scene that shows the monster at the start of the battle and one where it blows up at the end, for all I know it could've been attempting to tickle her to death with hugs and bunnies. But it's coo' because Blue wakes up and has no idea who her savior is and it's okay because Red is chillin outside her window looking all stalker-y and eating apples. And they all lived happily ever after.

Oh, and don't think no one caught that scene you reversed the speed on. Nice try. :ying:


Video 3
Spoiler :
- :taco:
- Editing was rather solid


- What the hell is going on?
- Dat eye roto.


I see the wolves, and there is the boy...but where is the whole 'lying is bad' moral that the entire fairy tale is based around? The only time I can imagine him crying is when the wolves rip him to shreds. It's like you skipped the boring part of the fairy tale and went straight into death by wolf. I assume that the "consequences" the title speaks of are that if you are within a 50 miles radius of wolves they will eat you. That's what you get for being within a 50 mile radius of wolves. Consequences. :|

Also, dat eye roto. :taco:


Video 4
Spoiler :
- Really great/solid editing
- Very interesting take on Snow White


- Why was the brown hair girl raped?
- Wait...it wasn't snow white?


The editing level in this video is easily one of the highest this round without a doubt, but your concept is killing you. For one, I really don't understand why the brown hair girl got raped. She seemed nice enough so what'd she ever do to you?
And then we have the main character, Snow Whi-er...Sleeping Beauty. With all the apple symbolism and such in Penguindrum and the way this video was set up I was totally sure it was Snow White (the other princess who falls asleep) minus those creepy midgets she has chosen to hang out with, but Sleeping Beauty eh? That is where you kind of lost me considering she spent most of the video awake and also probably wondering why brownie got raped. I do give you credit for this song though just because it's this song. All credit given may be exchanged at Paco Taco's Taco Shop and Bordello.


Video 5
Spoiler :
- Probably the only video I can see myself watching outside of this contest and enjoying
- Solid editing overall


- Utena REALLY stood out quality wise among your other sources
- Beyond Air girl getting her hair cut, she really didn't have a purpose


This is probably my favorite song by this artist so I went into the video prepared to cut the editor if they screwed it up. You sir, shall escape with minor scratches. The video was entertaining as a whole and as I said, it's probably the only one of the batch I can see myself watching outside of the contest and enjoying. One of the main problems I have with Org Editor is that people try sooo hard to work with an esoteric theme that they completely forget about making the video enjoyable to watch when viewed outside of the contest. This video went with an interesting take on the theme and was pretty fun to watch. The only major complaints I had were the Utena footage and Air. Utena REALLY needed to be cleaned up. When placed next to brand spanking new shiny shows, it looked like it had been beaten with an ugly stick for several days straight. As for Air, beyond the whole cutting hair lyric, it really felt like she didn't fit there at all. All the other girls you selected display a wide range of emotions while Air girl only really knows how to spin around and look really happy or really tired like she was slipped a date rape drug.


Video 6
Spoiler :
- Yup, Fate/Zero is a really pretty source

- Bro, do you even font?

If it wasn't for the text, I would have no idea what the hell was going on in this video and even then it devolves into every Fate/Zero video ever. Yes, those scenes are very pretty but overall they felt like giant unedited fight sequences with text wrapped around them trying to make sense of things. The text however, was almost impossible to read half the time due to the font section. You tried to take a lame fairy tale and make it badass but instead you made a Fate/Zero video that looks like all the others. I give you credit for trying but next time you need to mix things up. Those fight sequences may be gorgeous but I can only watch them so many times.


Video 7
Spoiler :
- You tried?
- God, Xam'd is pretty


- Dear god that was LONG

I am a HUGE Xam'd fan and now I am disappoint. Beauty and the Beast would've worked brilliantly if done right but you chose a long, monotonous song that doesn't really change and you've created a long monotonous video. As I watch this there were glimpses of what you were going for but because of the length it was easy to see there were long stretches of cop out trying to fill the timeline. While it's ambitious to attempt a full song without cutting it, this was one of those situations where it actually worked against you as opposed to enhancing the video. You need to recognize the limitations you're working with, cut things down and apply more focus.


Video 8
Spoiler :
This video shall henceforth be re-titled "The Tower of Babel 2: The Tower Strikes Back (Also, zombies or some shit. Did you see that kid hit his mom with a bat?!)"


Video 9
Spoiler :
- Very interesting take on The Little Mermaid

- That color/flame overlay near the end
- You made me cry and now we can never be friends


Seeing a take on the original story done like this was really neat! I'm a big Kanon fan so I will admit I got slightly happy in my pants when I saw you were doing a Makoto profile. Then I got incredibly sad in my pants when I remembered how it ended for Makoto ;_; Overall, you got your story across very well and the actual storybook effects at the very beginning and end looked pretty good. That random fire/orange effect that you threw in though...just, no man. Don't do that again. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go punch the next person that tells me "Shiori had it pretty bad too." SHUT UP. SHIORI GOT TO LIVE.


EDIT: And a message to you guys that dropped, you suck. Seriously :| MeleeChampion freakin' IC'd a video in 2 hours last round and still made something better than you did. Why is that you ask? Because you made NOTHING. If your schedule wasn't going to work out you should've dropped at the start of the round so someone who didn't make it last round could've taken your spot. At least some of them still really wanted to edit. Not cool bro. NOT COOL. GUILT TRIP!


Best review ever. You should review the vids from here onward with the same amount of hilarity you placed on this round of videos.
Imaget had to be said: the world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrifice.

in Ayn Rand's _The Fountainhead
User avatar
SilverFreedoms
 
Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Status: Hungry

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby Radical_Yue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:19 pm

haha, we'll see about that :P


I'd also like to mention that for this round we actually watched all the videos as a group on skype and plan to do the same for the next two rounds.

If anyone who participated in Org Editor (whether you're still in it or out) would like to join us for the next round of videos then just hit me up on skype on the day of the deadline so I know to message you when we do it.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby kireblue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:27 pm

I guess that nobody plans on writing reviews for the non-competing entries :( *whatevs* My scores are done. I always wait to read everyone's reviews till after I finalize mine (in order to not be influenced by them).
Image
MomoCon AMV Exhibitions Director
Seishun Con Fan Media Director
User avatar
kireblue
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby Radical_Yue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:25 pm

kireblue wrote:I guess that nobody plans on writing reviews for the non-competing entries :( *whatevs* My scores are done. I always wait to read everyone's reviews till after I finalize mine (in order to not be influenced by them).


Why are you getting so upset for ngsilver and Mr. ????????, you friends or somethings :P HMMMMMM.

I'll review the video I watched...

Follow the White Rabbit
Spoiler :
- Overall editing held together well
- Concept made sense (but has been done before)


- Terrible font selections
- Youtube quality audio rip
- Generic


Ok, so here we go! Starting the video...yup, that's the opening of Madoka. Mhmm...that's still the opening of Madoka...oh hey, it's STILL the opening of Madoka. oO
But wait! There is light at the end of the tunnel! It appears there are a credit sequence of sorts. What's going to happen?! Oh, it's the first scene sequence from Episode 1 Madoka.
If you don't understand what I'm getting at here is that it's rather generic (as stated above) when it comes to scene selections. After the "credits", the video starts with the same scenes that about 98% of Madoka videos start with, her running through the black and white halls. After an opening sequence of nothing but scenes from the actual anime opening, this isn't exactly the first thing I wanted to see and it would've been incredibly pleasant if the editor would've tried a more original route instead of the cop-out opening. After the black and white halls followed by the first couple of scenes from Episode 1, the video actually starts. However, once more, it continues the trend of generic Madoka videos by staying totally focused on magical girl fights and the witch's mazes. While this does make sense in a way, one of the true charms of Alice in Wonderland is how ordinary things are turned topsy turvey, but with this video there is nothing ordinary to compare it to. You can't convince someone that the sky shouldn't be orange if they've never seen on that's blue. So without that odd sense of a world gone wrong that makes the story unique, it doesn't really hold up as an Alice in Wonderland parody.
Then there is the text. Just about every bit of the font selection was horrid and should never be used again. :P If the editor had created an MKV with optional subtitles this I think would've made the video about a million times better. The text and scenes go by so quickly I'm pretty sure my eyes had a small seizure attempting to both read and watch the video. This combined with incredibly low quality (I don't imagine it was higher than 92kbps) audio let to a very uncomfortable viewing experience.
My advice for next time would be to try and capture what exactly makes the story special instead of just finding a song that you can closely lyric sync and put little thought into. You need to re-examine your font options too. Personally, I fail hardcore at selecting fonts but that's why people like Brad, ZephyrStar, and siny exist. And also, for the love of all that is holy don't rip your audio from youtube like I assume you did. Better luck next time. :sorcerer:
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby CodeZTM » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Video 5 made me buy Sarah B. 's album for work today. Awesome purchase. :up: |:>
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby Radical_Yue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:41 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Video 5 made me buy Sarah B. 's album for work today. Awesome purchase. :up: |:>



Welcome to 5 years ago |:>





Hey Paco, it's your old nemesis! HARD CUTS!

ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby pacotacoshell » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:46 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Video 5 made me buy Sarah B. 's album for work today. Awesome purchase. :up: |:>

GOD BLESS YOU. Which album was it? I've started a project where I edit the whole Kaleidoscope Heart album + a few other songs from Little Voice and her new EP. It's gonna be full of feels. ;__;

Radical_Yue wrote:
CodeZTM wrote:Video 5 made me buy Sarah B. 's album for work today. Awesome purchase. :up: |:>


Hey Paco, it's your old nemesis! HARD CUTS!


I remember watching this a while back, MY FEEEEEEELS
Image
User avatar
pacotacoshell
 
Joined: 07 Nov 2011

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby CodeZTM » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 pm

I snagged Little Voice paco. I guess I should snag the other one too! |:>

And Yue, I'm usually behind on music trends. I just discovered SOAD last year. :lol:
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 3 - "Mythical Tales"

Postby Radical_Yue » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 pm

CodeZTM wrote:I snagged Little Voice paco. I guess I should snag the other one too! |:>

And Yue, I'm usually behind on music trends. I just discovered SOAD last year. :lol:



If you start making videos to Linkin Park's "In The End' we'll need to have a talk :|
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

PreviousNext

Return to Project OrgEditor Season 3: The King of Spring

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests