Sweeping the Cobwebs + HD assistance

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
jenndylyon
Org Profile

Sweeping the Cobwebs + HD assistance

Post by jenndylyon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 am

Hello, gang :) Once upon a time, I used to be a part of this community. However, I only uploaded one video and after that, pretty much disappeared as real life took over. I'm living on my own now, attending college and working full-time. However, it's my dream to be a film director, editor, entertainer, game designer, among a multitude of other things. Part of my learning and growing experience as an artist is to practice my video-editing skills by creating more videos; that's why I came back. I want to be more involved in this community and learn what I can about encoding, rendering, converting, and more. I have so many ideas for videos, including some that I hope to share with you all (anime-related, of course). Though my horizons go beyond just the anime category, I aspire to retain what I learn and apply those skills to other projects.

Since it was already uploaded to this site before and I'm not 100% satisfied with the outcome, I won't upload it again. Before sharing it again, I hope to touch it up tremendously and give it a better, less-rushed ending and title. This is the video I uploaded to this site a few years ago. I humbly say that this is my most popular video on Youtube (I don't have many things uploaded, to begin with). I would love to continue making videos like this, as I've been experimenting with this method since I was a child. As you can tell from the video though, the quality is very poor and pixelation occurs throughout the playthrough. That's my main focus as I embark on my journey again.

I'm somewhat familiar with such programs as VirtualDub and AVISynth, but I haven't used them for rendering footage yet. The only video-editing programs I've used are WMM (Windows Movie Maker) and Pinnacle Studio. To better train myself as well as to have more flexibility and features available to me, I just purchased Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12. Over the last couple of years, I also took the liberty of purchasing computer parts and with help from some of my techie friends, built a machine that I hope to create some great projects on. My main focus in building my computer was high quality media and editing; I'm proud to say that I now have the technology to help create my vision. In addition to that, I don't download the content I wish to edit. Instead, I save to buy the actual media so that I know I'm dealing with official material and I can enhance it, once I know how.

I strongly feel that my area of growth is how to render high definition formats. I aspire to learn how to go from the low quality of the video I shared to the crisp, clean and bright outcome as shown here.

I know this is my first post back but I would like the next video I upload to this community to be great. If I'm not being too forward, would it be possible to have some feedback on how I could go about rendering video footage to HD quality please? Any program, editing, output setting, etc recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Though I wasn't a fully-active member the last time around, it feels great to be back with a mission and inspiration buzzing in the brain. Thank you so much for creating this community and I look forward to contributing a lot in the future.

~JeNnDyLyOn

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Sweeping the Cobwebs + HD assistance

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 pm

jenndylyon wrote:Hello, gang :) Once upon a time, I used to be a part of this community. However, I only uploaded one video and after that, pretty much disappeared as real life took over. I'm living on my own now, attending college and working full-time. However, it's my dream to be a film director, editor, entertainer, game designer, among a multitude of other things. Part of my learning and growing experience as an artist is to practice my video-editing skills by creating more videos; that's why I came back. I want to be more involved in this community and learn what I can about encoding, rendering, converting, and more. I have so many ideas for videos, including some that I hope to share with you all (anime-related, of course). Though my horizons go beyond just the anime category, I aspire to retain what I learn and apply those skills to other projects.

Since it was already uploaded to this site before and I'm not 100% satisfied with the outcome, I won't upload it again. Before sharing it again, I hope to touch it up tremendously and give it a better, less-rushed ending and title. This is the video I uploaded to this site a few years ago. I humbly say that this is my most popular video on Youtube (I don't have many things uploaded, to begin with). I would love to continue making videos like this, as I've been experimenting with this method since I was a child. As you can tell from the video though, the quality is very poor and pixelation occurs throughout the playthrough. That's my main focus as I embark on my journey again.

I'm somewhat familiar with such programs as VirtualDub and AVISynth, but I haven't used them for rendering footage yet. The only video-editing programs I've used are WMM (Windows Movie Maker) and Pinnacle Studio. To better train myself as well as to have more flexibility and features available to me, I just purchased Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12. Over the last couple of years, I also took the liberty of purchasing computer parts and with help from some of my techie friends, built a machine that I hope to create some great projects on. My main focus in building my computer was high quality media and editing; I'm proud to say that I now have the technology to help create my vision. In addition to that, I don't download the content I wish to edit. Instead, I save to buy the actual media so that I know I'm dealing with official material and I can enhance it, once I know how.

I strongly feel that my area of growth is how to render high definition formats. I aspire to learn how to go from the low quality of the video I shared to the crisp, clean and bright outcome as shown here.

I know this is my first post back but I would like the next video I upload to this community to be great. If I'm not being too forward, would it be possible to have some feedback on how I could go about rendering video footage to HD quality please? Any program, editing, output setting, etc recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Though I wasn't a fully-active member the last time around, it feels great to be back with a mission and inspiration buzzing in the brain. Thank you so much for creating this community and I look forward to contributing a lot in the future.

~JeNnDyLyOn
Your best bet is to go though the current AVTech located here and you might want to get familiar with Vegas by playing with it a bit and reading the Vegas sticky in this category. We can help you a bit further with settings if you have any trouble, but most of it is pretty easy and/or self-explanatory, especially when I can see you can do a bit of your thinking and research.

To be fair, make sure you know about the limitations of your software. Here is a handy comparison tool. You might be limited a bit by 20 video tracks if you start to make bigger projects with effects and you certainly will be limited by missing "Expanded Edit mode" (it means no masking and other stuff). Basically you can edit using full-screen media mostly with this, but I have to add - for some type of videos it's enough (mostly romances and some other stuff where you don't really need masking).

Good luck anyway and if you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask!

jenndylyon
Org Profile

Post by jenndylyon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Greetings, Nya-chan :) Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I'll be sure to take an extensive look through the archives and learn as much as possible. I'm more of a learn-by-doing person so experimenting with Sony Movie Studio is a must. I've worked only with WMM and Pinnacle; although the programs were very user-friendly, the results weren't satisfying enough for me in terms of quality. As someone who aspires to turn this into a profession, I'd like to learn to use Sony Movie Studio as well as Final Cut (when I can afford it and a Mac).

I guess my first issue is how to rip content from DvDs and import said files into Movie Studio. Since the program doesn't support AVIs (for some stupid reason), I have to basically rip the DvDs all over again but in a format Movie Studio will accept. I used to use Magic DVD Ripper before, which wasn't too bad. I'm afraid of downloading codecs because I read that that's a huge no-no when using programs such as Vegas, Premier, etc. as they have their own codecs. *sigh* I just want to edit footage that Movie Studio accepts and get to editing! Haha It's frustrations like these that force me to crawl back to the easy-going WMM. But if I want to learn to be a pro, I have to learn the programs. No ifs, ands or buts.

I'll do some probing around the forum and search for some answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as usual :) Thanks again!

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:15 pm

jenndylyon wrote:Greetings, Nya-chan :) Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I'll be sure to take an extensive look through the archives and learn as much as possible. I'm more of a learn-by-doing person so experimenting with Sony Movie Studio is a must. I've worked only with WMM and Pinnacle; although the programs were very user-friendly, the results weren't satisfying enough for me in terms of quality. As someone who aspires to turn this into a profession, I'd like to learn to use Sony Movie Studio as well as Final Cut (when I can afford it and a Mac).

I guess my first issue is how to rip content from DvDs and import said files into Movie Studio. Since the program doesn't support AVIs (for some stupid reason), I have to basically rip the DvDs all over again but in a format Movie Studio will accept. I used to use Magic DVD Ripper before, which wasn't too bad. I'm afraid of downloading codecs because I read that that's a huge no-no when using programs such as Vegas, Premier, etc. as they have their own codecs. *sigh* I just want to edit footage that Movie Studio accepts and get to editing! Haha It's frustrations like these that force me to crawl back to the easy-going WMM. But if I want to learn to be a pro, I have to learn the programs. No ifs, ands or buts.

I'll do some probing around the forum and search for some answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as usual :) Thanks again!
The most important question I can answer right now - Vegas uses some of their own codecs, but ONLY for some defaults. Aside, it can also load lots of other codecs and some of them are considered basically a must in the current community (because of lower filesize, ease of use and reliability~). And pretty much the only codec you use when communicating with Vegas should be a lossless codec anyway (because that ensures minimum of crashing and that what you see is EXACTLY what goes in/out and can be reproduced or altered anytime).

Be sure to get at least AMVApp - it's not a codec pack (it's actually more of a batch of various programs, scripting stuff and various for use in editing), though it contains some codecs you should use when importing into Vegas. You should look for the updates of everything inside anyway (it's over two years old pack ^^; ), and it's ALL optional (I usually install just one or two lossless codecs for work ^^). But you at least know what you - should? - work with.

Just check the download page with AMVApp in the AVTech - it leads not to a download right away but rather to a list of what's inside of a zip that's provided (including a link to a program that editors around here use to rip DVDs these days, btw).

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”