Clips Look Weird ONLY In Vegas

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Harvestlife404
Org Profile

Clips Look Weird ONLY In Vegas

Post by Harvestlife404 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:50 pm

So I converted some new footage to .avi files (using Aiseesoft converter) and I was really excited to start playing around with it. So I watched it with Windows Media Player to make sure it was unscathed and then plopped it in Vegas. And most of the audio was gone (it was fine in WMP) and the clips themselves look wavy at certain spots. Someone mind telling me what I did wrong and how to fix it? Thank you so much in advance!

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Clips Look Weird ONLY In Vegas

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Harvestlife404 wrote:So I converted some new footage to .avi files (using Aiseesoft converter) and I was really excited to start playing around with it. So I watched it with Windows Media Player to make sure it was unscathed and then plopped it in Vegas. And most of the audio was gone (it was fine in WMP) and the clips themselves look wavy at certain spots. Someone mind telling me what I did wrong and how to fix it? Thank you so much in advance!
What codec did you convert to?

Harvestlife404
Org Profile

Post by Harvestlife404 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Msmpeg4

It was the default.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:06 pm

That's basically an old DivX codec. You should convert into some lossless codec like Lagarith, HuffyUV or UTVideo for editing. They use .avis for container too, which is what confuses most starting editors.

Harvestlife404
Org Profile

Post by Harvestlife404 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Thank you VERY much! I'm not new to editing... I've been editing for years! I just started converting to .avi instead of .wmv because a friend told me it was better! But I'm so glad you helped! :)

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”