star score jump

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

star score jump

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:55 am

ok typically i'd just take a sudden jump in one of my star scores as a happy/proud moment. however, because most of my videos received a sudden boost in their scores by about 0.03 stars, i can only assume there's a glitch or the star rating system has been altered.

anyone know what's happening with the star scores?

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: star score jump

Post by Ileia » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:19 am

VCAs, maybe? I always get a lil bump up in all my scores during VCA time.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Ileia wrote:VCAs, maybe? I always get a lil bump up in all my scores during VCA time.
well that was my first thought, my nominees have been going up and down for the last week. however, at least all of my "top videos" went up, except for MEPs that i didn't upload myself.

i hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but it would have to take a LOT of downloads suddenly to make em go up so fast like they did. so i'm just wondering what happened.

has anyone else noticed anything with theirs?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:53 pm

JudgeHolden also noticed this, and now that I look at my videos, the same thing has happened to me. I don't have enough recent views to justify the jump (I've had 5 downloads/previews since the start of the year).

Now that I have a full-time and part-time job (I get to work 7 days a week! WOOOOO~) my time is pretty short, but I'll look into this and see if I can't come up with a cause. I have a few hypotheses right now.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:07 am

aw crap! i knew i shouldn'ta let that frog out of his cage >_>

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:54 am

about the best answer I could come up with is this:

For purposes of calculating star averages, not all of the star ratings on any given video are used. There is a script that is scheduled to run every 4 hours that makes a list of users who give extremely similar ratings to all the videos that they rate, and stores the list in a table. When a new star rating comes in, the star average is recalculated, with those users that rate every video very similarly removed from the calculation.

The problem is, that script that finds who just gives all 3 star ratings (and other cases like that) doesn't actually seem to be running every 4 hours (so far as I can tell). The last time this script actually did anything was on 2013-3-15 at around 9am.

If this script is running relatively infrequently, a sizable number of users could be removed from consideration (or added back to consideration) for calculating video star averages. Combine that with VCA season, and it's plausible to see star scale jumps.

I don't think this explains all the cases, but that's all I can do with my powers.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:40 pm

o_O;.... i'm far too right brained to grasp any of that nonsense. i'll take your word for it tho.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Was pondering about using weighted mean for star ratings. Give more weight to users that have their ratings spread evenly and less to those that give all threes. Better than regular script for complete removal, I'd say.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Rider4Z wrote:ok typically i'd just take a sudden jump in one of my star scores as a happy/proud moment. however, because most of my videos received a sudden boost in their scores by about 0.03 stars, i can only assume there's a glitch or the star rating system has been altered.

anyone know what's happening with the star scores?
There's no real mystery behind this, since I've been going through and shoring up my archive recently with older video contest winners, including yours. My old archive (which I built up starting in 2007 and refreshed in 2010) died soon after I did a run-through in 2010, so now's the time I'm going through and getting all that I missed (or had collected before the crash).

For all the videos, I gave out anywhere from 3 to 5 stars (and rightly so -- I like all of your videos and so far every other one I've looked at), but I didn't realize that what I did generate that much of a boost. :shock:

tbh... that's :awesome: .
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”