Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - WINNERS POSTED!

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.
User avatar
Cyrix
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:06 pm
Location: California
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby Cyrix » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:56 am

The deadline is on... My BIRTHDAY?! SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIII.......oot.

Heh, that's happened to me before...

There had been some talk of possibly bumping the AMV contest up to an R-rating, but it doesn't look like a go for this year; is that something that definitely won't happen in the near future? I'm not planning on submitting anything that would push the boundaries this year, but I generally find an AMV show with an R rating more enjoyable than a PG-13 one.

Also, will the preshow be made of non-finalist submissions like last year?
Image

User avatar
XStylus
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2001 12:11 pm
Status: Enjoying the salty air.
Location: A quaint little village.
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby XStylus » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 am

Cyrix wrote:
The deadline is on... My BIRTHDAY?! SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIII.......oot.

Heh, that's happened to me before...

There had been some talk of possibly bumping the AMV contest up to an R-rating, but it doesn't look like a go for this year; is that something that definitely won't happen in the near future?


Correct. The main competition will be at the "rating" that it always had been, which is something a hair north of a "PG-13" (basically whatever we think we can get away with without pissing off parents). After 2011, the previous coordinator had announced an intention make it an "R" rated event, but that would have meant it would become an 18+ event. Closing off one of our top two events to a large chunk of our attendees did not strike me as a wise idea.

I'm not planning on submitting anything that would push the boundaries this year, but I generally find an AMV show with an R rating more enjoyable than a PG-13 one.


Gee, wouldn't it be nice if we could do a special screening of all the AMVs we couldn't show in the main competition because they were too risque? Sure would be cool if we had our own special room to do that in. :awesome:

Also, will the preshow be made of non-finalist submissions like last year?

Thus far, that's the plan.
Sakura Con 2016 - AMV Assistant Coordinator
Anime Expo 2016 - AMV Events Manager

User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:32 pm
Status: Breathing
Location: Merrimack, NH
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 am

I seriously find it kinda awesome that most big cons use their size as an excuse as to why their contests have to have a rating lower than PG-13 (sometimes PG) and the biggest con in the entire country can basically go "nah, PG13+ is cool." :up: :lol:

User avatar
l33tmeatwad
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:22 pm
Status: Trolling
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby l33tmeatwad » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:47 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I seriously find it kinda awesome that most big cons use their size as an excuse as to why their contests have to have a rating lower than PG-13 (sometimes PG) and the biggest con in the entire country can basically go "nah, PG13+ is cool." :up: :lol:

Considering the whole "PG-13" thing is kinda abstract to begin with, I think cons using that as a "go to" for understanding how to keep your video clean enough is kinda BS anyways...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

User avatar
Rider4Z
The Machine
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:55 am
Status: Post-Apocalyptic
Location: The fender
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby Rider4Z » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:14 am

i prefer TV-14 :amv:
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:07 am
Status: in a relationship
Location: Puyallup, WA
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby Seijin_Dinger » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:18 pm

3 days after my birthday...
Image
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014

User avatar
machina21
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:35 am
Status: Searching for Mercy Street
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby machina21 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Not making the progress I would like, hopefully I can get my act together in time.

AMV ROOM THIS YEAR?
"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

BrokenMetronome
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 11:32 am
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby BrokenMetronome » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:56 pm

Will there be a meet and greet this year?
I remember last year there was a meet and greet dinner, but zero chances of me going to THAT if I have to submit a video.

User avatar
Rider4Z
The Machine
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:55 am
Status: Post-Apocalyptic
Location: The fender
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby Rider4Z » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:29 pm

BrokenMetronome wrote:Will there be a meet and greet this year?
I remember last year there was a meet and greet dinner, but zero chances of me going to THAT if I have to submit a video.

i've been meaning to start the thread in the Anime Convention section about that. i'll have it up in a day or two.

EDIT: nvm, it's up viewtopic.php?f=8&t=112422
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
XStylus
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2001 12:11 pm
Status: Enjoying the salty air.
Location: A quaint little village.
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby XStylus » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:05 pm

The AMV submission form is now online. Sorry for the lateness, ya'll. ^^;;;

http://www.anime-expo.org/schedule/amv-contest/
Sakura Con 2016 - AMV Assistant Coordinator
Anime Expo 2016 - AMV Events Manager

User avatar
Cyrix
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:06 pm
Location: California
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby Cyrix » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 am

xstylus wrote:After 2011, the previous coordinator had announced an intention make it an "R" rated event, but that would have meant it would become an 18+ event.

To be fair, the MPAA R rating means "under 17 requires accompanying parent or guardian". It doesn't mean 18+ event, it just means anyone under 17 needs to be with a parent |:>
Plus the ratings are not legally enforceable and are enforced by theaters on a voluntary basis

xstylus wrote:Gee, wouldn't it be nice if we could do a special screening of all the AMVs we couldn't show in the main competition because they were too risque? Sure would be cool if we had our own special room to do that in.

Is this something that's actually happening? Cuz if so I want in :D
Image

User avatar
XStylus
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2001 12:11 pm
Status: Enjoying the salty air.
Location: A quaint little village.
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby XStylus » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:53 am

Cyrix wrote:
xstylus wrote:After 2011, the previous coordinator had announced an intention make it an "R" rated event, but that would have meant it would become an 18+ event.

To be fair, the MPAA R rating means "under 17 requires accompanying parent or guardian". It doesn't mean 18+ event, it just means anyone under 17 needs to be with a parent |:>


While the number of attendees age 17 and younger is significant, the number of parents attending with said attendees is... ...less so. :P
Sakura Con 2016 - AMV Assistant Coordinator
Anime Expo 2016 - AMV Events Manager

User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 2:29 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:17 am

And Trust me, you don't need the parents to come down to the con raisng hell to what thier kids saw.. that's not what way to get parents to attend the event :wink:

Besides, why can't all you editor just make nice and clean family safe AMVs :up:

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2016 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2016 AMV Assistant Manager
Otafest 2012 - 2016 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 10 (2003) - 23 (2016) AMV Coordinator
AWA Atlanta 2011-2016 VAT Programming Head

User avatar
XStylus
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2001 12:11 pm
Status: Enjoying the salty air.
Location: A quaint little village.
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby XStylus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:21 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:And Trust me, you don't need the parents to come down to the con raisng hell to what thier kids saw.. that's not what way to get parents to attend the event :wink:

Besides, why can't all you editor just make nice and clean family safe AMVs :up:

Vlad


If someone manages to make a good G rateable AMV using Urotsukidoji, Bible Black, and LA Blue Girl I will buy them all the beer they can drink at the AMV meet and greet. True bet. :P
Sakura Con 2016 - AMV Assistant Coordinator
Anime Expo 2016 - AMV Events Manager

User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 2:29 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - DEADLINE: MAY 4th

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:18 am

xstylus wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:And Trust me, you don't need the parents to come down to the con raisng hell to what thier kids saw.. that's not what way to get parents to attend the event :wink:

Besides, why can't all you editor just make nice and clean family safe AMVs :up:

Vlad


If someone manages to make a good G rateable AMV using Urotsukidoji, Bible Black, and LA Blue Girl I will buy them all the beer they can drink at the AMV meet and greet. True bet. :P


Do you hear that everyone.. Troy is buying us all beer! (just need someone to make the video now :P )

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2016 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2016 AMV Assistant Manager
Otafest 2012 - 2016 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 10 (2003) - 23 (2016) AMV Coordinator
AWA Atlanta 2011-2016 VAT Programming Head


Return to “AMV Contests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests