Can't open AVS files again.....

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Brakus
Org Profile

Can't open AVS files again.....

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 am

Seems like every year this happens to me. I've just now ripped some new footage, and created the AVS file, but when I tried to open it, I get:

"VirtualDub Error: AVI Import Filter error: (Unknown) (80040154)"

I re-installed DGIndex and recreated the project file, and I still get the same error message.

I did what I did last year and changed a line in my AVS file, and here's what the script looks like:

Code: Select all

DGDecode_Mpeg2source("N:\Tiger & Bunny\MainMovie\TIGER_AND_BUNNY_1_7\VIDEO_TS\TB-01-07.d2v",cpu=0)
TFM(slow=2, pp=5, clip2=TDeint(mode=2, type=3))
TDecimate() 
Spline36Resize(848,480)
What do I have to do now? It seems that every time I rip footage and get to this point, another error pops up.
Last edited by Brakus on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Can't open AVS files again.....

Post by mirkosp » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:50 am

Assuming you have AvsPmod (if not, you can grab it here), what does that say when you try to preview the avs? If it works there, then something fishy's going on with vdub, otherwise, AvsPmod might give us a clearer error.
The avs code itself looks pretty much fine (you should crop a bit horizontally but it's nothing major and chances are that the DVD might actually have been done non-ITU, which seems depressingly common nowadays, so it might be better not to, oddly enough), and the vdub error doesn't say anything about missing plugins, so I'm kinda left wondering.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am

I have opened the script in AvsPmod, and it didn't encounter any errors. I have a feeling I may have to re-install something, but what exactly, I'm not sure yet.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 am

By opened, do you mean just open to check the code, or actually show the video preview (hit F5 in the program)? If you can actually view the latter, then the script is correct, and the issue is definitely lurking somewhere in VirtualDub or the VfW framework.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 am

Both - it opened and the code came up OK, and then I showed the video playing w/o any problem. The script is correct, I'm guessing.

Should I update VirtualDub? I have 1.9.11.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:00 am

Hey guys, finally figured it out. I had to reinstall DirectShow filters, from this site:

http://www.free-codecs.com/DirectShow_F ... wnload.htm

Once I ran the .bat file, I opened Virtual Dub again, and this time it finally opened up the AVS files I created. Whew.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:37 am

FFFFFFFFFFFFF.
YOU DON'T DO THAT.
THAT FUCKS WITH DIRECTSHOW.
The problem was in the VfW framework, indeed.
But installing random directshow filters will just make directshow worse and create conflicts. It's a very dangerous thing, I can't stress this enough, as in the worst case one won't be able to properly clean the register without formatting the system altogether.
You should try to uninstall that as much as possible (or straight up do a system restore to before installing it) and just install cccp to keep directshow in order.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:49 am

YIKES. OK. I'll see if I can uninstall it or restore the system to yesterday's status.

For some reason I never got arround to installing CCCP.... will do that later today, after I roll back my system.

EDIT, 5:15PM ET - I got my footage, and it all looks great. However,
The footage I got somehow says it's 19.189 fps in Adobe Premiere Elements, which leads me to believe that something wonky is afoot.

I rolled back my system to this morning before I put in that pack and installed CCCP. I'm back to square one with opening up AVS files in VirtualDub.
Last edited by Brakus on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:55 pm

This afternoon I rolled back my system to this morning. I then installed CCCP. However, I'm back to square one with opening up AVS files in VirtualDub. I know you said there was something wrong with VirtualDub, so is there any other way I can get my footage?
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

I forgot to ask before, but you weren't using mismatching 32bit/64bit avs and vdub, right? Otherwise it wouldn't work out.
Suggestions to bring forth in case you were already on matching 32bit (if you weren't just use the 32bit stable versions first):
1) Try to update avisynth to the latest alpha version, currently 2.6.0 Alpha 4: http://sourceforge.net/projects/avisynt ... _Releases/
2) Try to use the 1.10 experimental branch of virtualdub: http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/
Do make sure you use the 32bit version of everything, otherwise it's not gonna work.

Also, 19.189fps sounds suspiciously close (19.18081918081918..) to what you get if you try to "ivtc" on a 23.976. Perhaps you had force film selected in dgindex before you ivtc'd in avisynth? If that's the case, reindex with honour pulldown, and then ivtc like normal if it's less than FILM 99%, or force film again and don't IVTC in avisynth if it's over that.

Return to “AviSynth Help”