VCA Livestream hosted by twiamvs

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Once again this year I plan to host a livestream of the VCA videos. I will only be streaming the Semi-finalists and Finalists. Due to the sheer number of videos available for nominations there just isn't enough time to really go through all of those. The schedule of viewing will be based on the VCA schedule, so the stream will be going on while each voting phase is happening. Like last year, I will split the categories up into sets of 5 (except the last day which will only be 4) of each category that you nominate videos rather then members. As the VCA schedule this year puts us on a Sat-Fri schedule for voting, and to allow 1 day for me to obtain all videos and setup the playlists and 1 day for everyone to put in their final votes after the streams are done, I will begin the streams on Sunday and go through Thurs.

All are welcome to join in and watch the videos during this time. It's a great way to see every video for those who haven't seen them yet as well as a chance to chat and enjoy the company of fellow viewers and discuss things about each video in the process. I had a blast last year hosting this.

Each stream will start at 8pm EDT (12am GMT/UTC the next day) and go until that night's list of videos is finished. Based on last years info, there were 20 videos in each category for the Semi's and 5 in the Finals. With 5 categories each night, the average playtime wound up be aprox 6 hours, except for the last night with the MEPs, which went much longer. Knowing that not everyone will be available during these hours once the stream finishes I will turn on auto-pilot with the recorded version of that night's stream and let that repeat until the next stream begins. The actual scheduled dates and which categories will play on those dates can be found below. I can't give accurate times for when each category will begin as video lengths vary, but based on an average of 3 min per video, at 20 videos, a category will take aprox 60 mins to play through, give or take 20 more mins generally.

I have an FAQ section below the stream schedule. If you have a question that isn't answered there feel free to ask and I'll try my best to give you a good answer.

You can view the stream here:
http://www.livestream.com/thisweekinamvs
http://twiamvs.ngsilver.com/this-week-i ... ivestream/

You can see what is currently playing on the stream here:
http://ngsilver.myvnc.com:8080/player/

[Semis: March 17th 8pm EDT or March 18th 12am GMT][Finals: March 24th 8pm EDT or March 25th 12am GMT]
Best Action Video
Best Character Profile
Best Collaborative Video
Best Comedy Video
Best Dance Video

[Semis: March 18th 8pm EDT or March 19th 12am GMT][Finals: March 25th 8pm EDT or March 26th 12am GMT]
Best Dramatic Video
Best First Video
Best Fun Video
Best Horror Video
Best No-Effects Video

[Semis: March 19th 8pm EDT or March 20th 12am GMT][Finals: March 26th 8pm EDT or March 27th 12am GMT]
Best Parody Video
Best Romantic Video
Best Sentimental Video
Best Single Source Video
Best Storytelling

[Semis: March 20th 8pm EDT or March 21st 12am GMT][Finals: March 27th 8pm EDT or March 28th 12am GMT]
Best Trailer or Commercial
Best Use of Instrumental Music
Best Use of Lip Synch
Best Use of Multiple Anime
Best Use of Special Effects

[Semis: March 21st 8pm EDT or March 22nd 12am GMT][Finals: March 28th 8pm EDT or March 29th 12am GMT]
Most Artistic Video
Most Original Video
Video of the Year
Best Multi-Editor Project

[Finals: March 29th 8pm EDT or March 30th 12am GMT]
Nate's picks for the VCA Finals

FAQs:

In what order will you be playing the videos?
Alphabetically by category. So we start with the first category based on the ABC sort and then the first video based on the ABC sort.

How will you be sorting these videos? What is the key you will sort by?
Videos will be sorted by video title. This should hopefully keep 2 videos by the same editor from playing back-to-back.

How do we know what each video is when it plays?
I'm looking into multiple options right now. I will try to setup a file name overlay in the video feed that will show for the first min of a video. Conversely I also plan to have the playback system update either the twiamvs IRC channel of each title or have the current playing title appear on the twiamvs website.

How are you going to name each video so we know what to vote for?
As the org doesn't rename videos, and many editors name their uploads in odd ways, videos will be re-named according to the following naming scheme: [category] Editor - Video Title . ext

If a video is in multiple categories in a night, will that video only be played once to save on time and sanity?
No. Each category will be played in it's entirety. So if a video is in all 5 categories for a night it will be played 5 times that night, wherever it lands in the alphabetical order of each category as they play.
Last edited by ngsilver on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: VCA Livestream hosted by twiamvs

Post by ngsilver » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Just an update on the times for everyone. I didn't realize DST was starting this weekend, so I have updated the streaming times to reflect this change. For those who observe Daylight Savings Time, then the time will be the 'same', at 8PM. But for those who don't, it will start 1 hour earlier.

So just keep this in mind: Each stream will start at 8pm EDT (12am GMT/UTC the next day) and go until that night's list of videos is finished.

Sorry about the time change ya'll. My bad for forgetting about stupid DST.
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Just 3 more hours till the first livestream begins! Remember, you can view the stream by going to the following locations:

or

http://twiamvs.ngsilver.com/this-week-i ... ivestream/

Feel free to load up the stream on one system and chat with us on another, or however you wanna do it.
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 am

Alright, tonight's stream has been completed. Anyone who missed it can still watch the replay on the sites linked previously. Tonight's stream will continue to play constantly until the next stream begins.

Or, you can view the whole thing at your leisure here: http://www.livestream.com/thisweekinamv ... 87cc4992dd

Just a note, due to the possibility for a change in lineup in the Semi's, the schedule may change slightly to reflect the decision made by the admins. So stay tuned for that. In the meantime, I will continue to stream using the current VCA Semi lists in the schedule posted above.

It was a blast tonight and I hope to see all of ya'll again tomorrow!
ImageImageImageImage

ProjectBarcodeError
Org Profile

Post by ProjectBarcodeError » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:53 pm

(y)

keep up the good work !

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Tonight's stream should begin in aprox 1 hour. Feel free to hop in and enjoy some pre-stream MLP videos for your (and mine while I eat) enjoyment :D
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:40 am

And with that tonight's stream has been completed. Anyone who missed it can still watch the replay on the sites linked previously. Tonight's stream will continue to play constantly until the next stream begins.

Or, you can view the whole thing at your leisure here: http://www.livestream.com/thisweekinamv ... f3afcb9316

It was once again fun watching the lineup with everyone. Hope to see ya'll again tomorrow!
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:48 am

It seems there was an issue last night with recording the 2nd half of the stream so sadly the replay of the whole stream from last night is not possible. I'll hopefully not have this issue tonight. Sorry about that.
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 am

Seems that despite having the recording of the first half of last nights stream ready when I started the 2nd half, livestream 'lost' it by the time the 2nd half completed. So once again sorry Bout not having a replay of last nights stream ready. Seems my account is going over the space limit even after I removed a ton of old recordings.

We shouldn't have these issues during the finals as each stream will be considerably shorter.

Also, a note for tonight's stream. It will be in 2 parts. The first part will be the remaining categories not including meps. The last part will be just meps. Due to the length of many meps the stream could last a very long time. So I will probably go to sleep leaving the stream running on repeat of the mep section all night. Just a heads up.
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Heads up. I'm dealing with having to work extra late today. Wanted to give y'all a heads up. The stream will most likely start late because of this. Sorry. I'll try to get back home as soon as I can.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “2013 AnimeMusicVideos.Org Viewer's Choice Awards”