P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Post by Pwolf » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:06 pm

RAWdangers wrote:
Pwolf wrote:Hypothetically speaking, if the judges don't like the sound of the vocals in a song they can remove points for audio. Or maybe they don't like classical music so they knock down points for that. Or what about a judge that doesn't like effects so any video that uses effects will lose points for visuals and editing. If they guidelines are open to interpretation then why not? Is that fair? I certainly hope not.
Nice slippery slope argument. If you actually think the judges are going to be that petty, then you have no faith in the judges. I believe this debate is over.
I'm being serious. "Originality" is a personal preference in my opinion, just the same as musical taste. It shouldn't be a factor in judging, unless asked for.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Pwolf wrote:
RAWdangers wrote:
Pwolf wrote:Hypothetically speaking, if the judges don't like the sound of the vocals in a song they can remove points for audio. Or maybe they don't like classical music so they knock down points for that. Or what about a judge that doesn't like effects so any video that uses effects will lose points for visuals and editing. If they guidelines are open to interpretation then why not? Is that fair? I certainly hope not.
Nice slippery slope argument. If you actually think the judges are going to be that petty, then you have no faith in the judges. I believe this debate is over.
I'm being serious. "Originality" is a personal preference in my opinion, just the same as musical taste. It shouldn't be a factor in judging, unless asked for.
To be fair, each judge's scale is personal preference for everything. You shouldn't score by formula, it renders the human aspect worthless.

Originality is covered by concept and theme. Theme is not a boolean value, there are degrees of how well it was conveyed... A good test is being able to recognise the theme without knowing about it. If you can show the video to someone who's not involved in the contest and they get it, you did a great job.
Last edited by BasharOfTheAges on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

SilverFreedoms
Org Profile

Post by SilverFreedoms » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:17 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:
GuntherAMVs wrote:sparkles
GuntherAMVs wrote:sparkles

okay Sparkles wins me over, which is your vid? I'll give you all 20s... O:
http://youtu.be/piVnArp9ZE0
Imaget had to be said: the world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrifice.

in Ayn Rand's _The Fountainhead

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 pm

who was phone

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:27 pm

[12:21:30 PM] Rendakor: here's hoping, but then he'll have to adjust the whole schedule
[12:25:37 PM] Nate: it's either that or he's stunting the potential videos for the next round
[12:26:09 PM] Yue: He should just release the damn theme while we wait for the results
[12:26:12 PM] Rendakor: if he doesnt give us all an extra day i'll just whine and say i need longer to upload mine >_>
[12:26:20 PM] Yue: Oh noes! People that didn't make it into R2 started on videos!
[12:26:23 PM] Yue: END OF LYFE
[12:26:25 PM] Rendakor: lulz
[12:26:48 PM] Nate: yeah, there is that
[12:27:42 PM] Nate: I would have thrown out any scores by the judge who didn't submit in time
[12:27:49 PM] Yue: Yup.
[12:27:50 PM] Rendakor: ^^^
[12:27:53 PM] Nate: and moved on from there
[12:28:05 PM] Rendakor: contestant is late, dq'd. judge is late, HOLD UP ENTIRE CONTEST

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Scores are being done right now.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:44 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote: To be fair, each judge's scale is personal preference for everything. You shouldn't score by formula, it renders the human aspect worthless.
So, would you consider my hypothetical situation fair then?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:59 pm

This is my third time being a judge for the completion, and I don't ever recall so much drama happening this early. I haven't checked this thread for 3 days, and come back to 8 pages of people arguing. I'm used to the usual post round bitch fests, but this a bit much. If you have such little faith in a competition, why do you even compete in it?

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Kimberly wrote:
Pwolf wrote:
RAWdangers wrote:I say we stop getting on the judges case and telling them how to judge before even one round of judging. No matter what every judge is going to judge slightly differently and its not up to the competitors to decide how they should judge.
But the coordinator has laid out how the judges should judge. I'm only asking that they follow the standard of judging set out by the coordinator. Of which, originality isn't mentioned or clearly defined. The standards, as they are currently written, are clear and I want to make sure the judges are being fair when they are doing their job.
I just wanted to ask, out of curiosity, and I'm not going to change any scores. But how would you judge theme then? Since originality isn't included, would you give full points for the theme if they chose to do Summer and just put a bunch of Summer scenes in their video?:
To answer you - yes. It clearly fullfills the theme, no matter how other aspects failed. In fact there were two or three videos like that in this round (one winter, two summer, IIRC?) and those ranked above the highest ratings in theme for me.

If you edited with nothing but Shinkai's first part of 5cm, only winter scenes, you pretty much deserve 15-20, because the winter theme can be seen clearly. Well, unless you **** it up really badly =w=

The theme has nothing to do with originality. Unless the theme is "use original sources", of course~

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I don't think that I completely agree with Nya-chan, but thats perfectly fine. If all the judges were supposed to follow such a strict set of rules on how to score, whats the point of having multiple ones? We all would give the exact same score right? Is anyone suggesting that future Org Editor competitions are judged by just Code?

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 3: The King of Spring”