P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Post by NS » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:45 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
NS wrote:some fun stuff comin out of this. I'll remind every judge that when thinking "Idk why this video was inspired by a season" there are comments on each vid for a reason. :bzz:
Number one rule of being creative: Show, don't tell.
Number one rule of being a judge: get the whole perspective before ruling.

GuntherAMVs
Mistress of Cocaine.
Org Profile

Post by GuntherAMVs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:51 pm

After watching them all, Videos 28 and 29 really stood out to me~
Loved them both <3
Good luck everyone! :sorcerer:
LIVE YOUR ART. LOVE YOUR LIFE.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:07 pm

NS wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:
NS wrote:some fun stuff comin out of this. I'll remind every judge that when thinking "Idk why this video was inspired by a season" there are comments on each vid for a reason. :bzz:
Number one rule of being creative: Show, don't tell.
Number one rule of being a judge: get the whole perspective before ruling.
Couldn't agree more.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:46 pm

My ratings are in, I'll post my comments later the next week as I am going home for the rest of the weekend.

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:02 am

Okay, I'm done with my judging. Woo hoo!
ImageImage

siny
Org Profile

Post by siny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:08 pm

It's Sunday, perfect timing to see all these videos! Here are my comments :P
Spoiler :
1: Awww this was really sweet! Loved it! I think overall, your video flows really well. There were some cases where you passed from a night scene to a daylight scene, and those light flashes you used here and there would have helped you in these kind of situations. The theme is very clear, so nothing to say about that! I think your video would be even more perfect, if you inserted more xmas romance like scenes, mostly because some of those were all from the same episode/moment which makes it feel a bit repetitive? But, in a week, it's already awesome that you were able to gather so many videos in one single video! (Kudos for using Sekaiichi ;D - we should be friends! lol)

2: Despite all the gore going around (sorry I'm easily impressed by these things ;_;), I was able to watch it all, but...I didn't get it? I mean, I don't see your theme here. Neither Winter or Spring? And tbh, I didn't understand the story either, at some points it was really confusing. I think you tried to represent Winter as the sad/horror moments and the Spring as the aftermath? But that wasn't clear at all :( I don't think the song helped you either.

3: Your video is quite adorable, I mean, it's K-On, so of course it's adorable! I don't think you pulled the theme well though :( your focus was too much on the girls and the music and not really on their trip to London, which during winter is LIKE FREAKING COLD. I think you should have explored more their trip to London, where if I remember correctly, the movie also shows a lot of wintery scenes. ^^'

4: WHY IS THIS SO SHORT?! WHY THE SUDDEN ENDING?! UGH. Ok, calm down. First, 1000x Kudos for the song!!! Second, love the beginning. The concept is amazing, because seriously ever student relates to this. The countdown to Summer Vacations... you have a good start with this video and I really hope you get to complete it!

5: OH I love this! Great idea! Ahah it was actually quite funny! I can tell you I wasn't bored at all while watching it ;d and that usually tends to happen when I never saw the anime!

6: Aw why so short? :( I still enjoyed it though, but I wish it was longer <3

7: Oh god, no you didn't! It's not okay to use this song, nope, no. ;_; Ok seriously, I loved it. My heart was shrinking with every scene! This could also be titled as "The Winter We Fell in Love". The feeling of winter and memories was very clear!

8: Another video that suddenly ends :( I don't understand why you say this is Spring though... I clearly see Summer? Despite that, I think you had a really good flow and I like how you went along with the lyrics ;p literally!

9: I liked this video, but I don't think it represents all the seasons like it's described? Maybe just Winter?

10: FAVORITE! Love the concept, the flow, the story and the lip sync. Just genius! <3

11: LOL, a painful hot Summer day in one video! I think the song really helped you here. You picked funny scenes that went along with really well! I think some scenes flowed better than others, but overall I thought it was quite funny ^^

12: OMG I feel like I was trolled?! AHAH! I wasn't expecting the Harlem Shake at all! It seemed so sweet and wintery and then... puff! Ahah!

13: I like where this was going! I mean, it's not that I don't mind the 5cm, but I would have liked to see other more fitting anime for this. One that fits all that magic you were trying to give us. I think that would be a really cool video, to show Spring blossoming in a magic way? So yeah I would have used more Spring scenes, but more mystical!

14: I liked this one too! I think you used too much Clannad and 5cm though, and when you're doing an anime mix you need to balance your animes a bit more. I love the ending with the violin, I set up a quite nice atmosphere! <3

15: This is quite and well edited. The theme was very clear, but and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh.. it's just another 5cm video :(

16: Perfect way to tell a story with this kind of theme, where the song is a very important to key to it! Kudos for you! Also, great anime choice for this!

17: Aw another Summer love story! The theme is clearly represented and your song helped too! The flow is quite good too :)

18: I think that for those that never saw this episode, your ending wasn't quite clear on how they ended up together. Yes, it's a winter vs spring moments, but why? Why are they together in spring and not in winter? I think these would be fixed if (and this is just an idea) the winter scenes were the present and the spring scenes were his dreams. But for the dreams to be clearer for the viewer, you would need to adjust the coloring, to add a little blur or some glow or even a white vignette like you did in the middle. Something that distinguishes the present from the dreams, you know?

19: Whoa, I really enjoyed this! Your transitions are awesome and the flow was amazing. Also, there's no doubt that the theme is Summer! Good job :)

20: Is this a video from Shin trolling Sommer? :mrgreen: ahah Anywayyyy, theme wise I think the song quite stablished that the season is Spring, because of the May thing... though maybe you could have I dunno, show some more springy sings? I'm sure there are scenes like that, if you know what I mean ._.

21: This was nice, well edited. The theme is clear, but that's it. There's no story :(

22: This video ended up too abruptly and I didn't see the season represented. Actually, no season at all... It's just an action video, a good one, but that's it? Where was the theme?

23: This is a good one, but I don't really see a season represented... I see life and people and the world, but that's too vague for a season theme.

24: Aw I really enjoyed this video! So tempted to finally watch this anime too! ^^ I think your song helped to settle the seasons, so good choice!

25: I'm surprised that this is the first video to actually use this song lol. I think the song screams Summer and so did your scene choices. There were some scenes that didn't quite flow well, but other than it's a cool video!

26: Aw I really like this! Quite entertaining, the story and how you told it. Theme is clear enough! I don't know if this is the dropbox player messing up, but it seemed that the quality was a bit low.

27: Your video is cool, though it's lacking on some things for it not be too boring? Some zooms would had been nice, some of your hard cuts are too abrupt and those are breaking the flow. Also, some parts were a bit slow imo. I love the song, but some scenes felt too random?

28: LOL How to do a action video with a winter theme! The sync was very amusing too ;D

29: Aw I still need to watch this anime! Really liked your video, the flow was great and very summerlike. <3

30: All the Clannad feels! <3 I enjoyed this, but what I see is the girls from Clannad and Tomoya. The seasons are there, but just barely... know what I mean?
Uff, I'm done! My favorite is still number 10. I just love how good and original it is!

Here are some thoughts and advises for whoever wants to read:
Spoiler :
My first advise for whoever passes to the next round: please try to be original. On such a general theme like this, your video will only stand out if it's original! I have nothing against 5cm videos (I love the anime), but for a contest like this and especially at the first round, to use such an overused anime is quite a risk. When you get the theme, find a concept first. It will make things easier for you!

For example, for this theme, here's how I would think about it. What season do I want to represent? Do I want to show more than one season? So I have my season(s), now how am I going to stand out from 29 more editors? For Spring it's more likely that people will do romance videos, for Winter people will probably do more melancholic videos, Summer will most likely have that fun party mood and I'm not sure if people will even use Autumn alone, unless it's a mix. So you figure out what people will most likely do, so you need to run away from that! And now that I have my idea, let's pick an anime or more than one. Let's make sure I know the anime well (this is debatable) or if I'm going to use more than one, google will be my friend to help me find the scenes I want (and fast). About picking the song, let's make sure it fits the mood of my season and the anime(s) I picked.

These are just simple guidelines I usually think about before editing, and it helps a lot! I know time is a key factor, but you have to also think about your video. You can think about it while at work or school (ok I know it's bad but still ;D) or while you're going somewhere. It also helps if you take a look at the titles of the themes and just try to imagine what the real theme will be. Think about what would you do, what song would you use, prepare your footage, etc. You will edit 10x faster if you already know what you want and how you want it. Random pretty scenes for a contest like this are not enough! You have to stand out as much as you can, that's the whole point to get you to the end of this! :wink:

I'm not saying don't edit 5cm videos or ramdom spring scenes, but save those kind of videos to other times. Because even if your editing is superb and perfect, your video will just be that. You want it to be way more! :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

siny
Org Profile

Post by siny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:08 pm

It's Sunday, perfect timing to see all these videos! Here are my comments :P
Spoiler :
1: Awww this was really sweet! Loved it! I think overall, your video flows really well. There were some cases where you passed from a night scene to a daylight scene, and those light flashes you used here and there would have helped you in these kind of situations. The theme is very clear, so nothing to say about that! I think your video would be even more perfect, if you inserted more xmas romance like scenes, mostly because some of those were all from the same episode/moment which makes it feel a bit repetitive? But, in a week, it's already awesome that you were able to gather so many videos in one single video! (Kudos for using Sekaiichi ;D - we should be friends! lol)

2: Despite all the gore going around (sorry I'm easily impressed by these things ;_;), I was able to watch it all, but...I didn't get it? I mean, I don't see your theme here. Neither Winter or Spring? And tbh, I didn't understand the story either, at some points it was really confusing. I think you tried to represent Winter as the sad/horror moments and the Spring as the aftermath? But that wasn't clear at all :( I don't think the song helped you either.

3: Your video is quite adorable, I mean, it's K-On, so of course it's adorable! I don't think you pulled the theme well though :( your focus was too much on the girls and the music and not really on their trip to London, which during winter is LIKE FREAKING COLD. I think you should have explored more their trip to London, where if I remember correctly, the movie also shows a lot of wintery scenes. ^^'

4: WHY IS THIS SO SHORT?! WHY THE SUDDEN ENDING?! UGH. Ok, calm down. First, 1000x Kudos for the song!!! Second, love the beginning. The concept is amazing, because seriously ever student relates to this. The countdown to Summer Vacations... you have a good start with this video and I really hope you get to complete it!

5: OH I love this! Great idea! Ahah it was actually quite funny! I can tell you I wasn't bored at all while watching it ;d and that usually tends to happen when I never saw the anime!

6: Aw why so short? :( I still enjoyed it though, but I wish it was longer <3

7: Oh god, no you didn't! It's not okay to use this song, nope, no. ;_; Ok seriously, I loved it. My heart was shrinking with every scene! This could also be titled as "The Winter We Fell in Love". The feeling of winter and memories was very clear!

8: Another video that suddenly ends :( I don't understand why you say this is Spring though... I clearly see Summer? Despite that, I think you had a really good flow and I like how you went along with the lyrics ;p literally!

9: I liked this video, but I don't think it represents all the seasons like it's described? Maybe just Winter?

10: FAVORITE! Love the concept, the flow, the story and the lip sync. Just genius! <3

11: LOL, a painful hot Summer day in one video! I think the song really helped you here. You picked funny scenes that went along with really well! I think some scenes flowed better than others, but overall I thought it was quite funny ^^

12: OMG I feel like I was trolled?! AHAH! I wasn't expecting the Harlem Shake at all! It seemed so sweet and wintery and then... puff! Ahah!

13: I like where this was going! I mean, it's not that I don't mind the 5cm, but I would have liked to see other more fitting anime for this. One that fits all that magic you were trying to give us. I think that would be a really cool video, to show Spring blossoming in a magic way? So yeah I would have used more Spring scenes, but more mystical!

14: I liked this one too! I think you used too much Clannad and 5cm though, and when you're doing an anime mix you need to balance your animes a bit more. I love the ending with the violin, I set up a quite nice atmosphere! <3

15: This is quite and well edited. The theme was very clear, but and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh.. it's just another 5cm video :(

16: Perfect way to tell a story with this kind of theme, where the song is a very important to key to it! Kudos for you! Also, great anime choice for this!

17: Aw another Summer love story! The theme is clearly represented and your song helped too! The flow is quite good too :)

18: I think that for those that never saw this episode, your ending wasn't quite clear on how they ended up together. Yes, it's a winter vs spring moments, but why? Why are they together in spring and not in winter? I think these would be fixed if (and this is just an idea) the winter scenes were the present and the spring scenes were his dreams. But for the dreams to be clearer for the viewer, you would need to adjust the coloring, to add a little blur or some glow or even a white vignette like you did in the middle. Something that distinguishes the present from the dreams, you know?

19: Whoa, I really enjoyed this! Your transitions are awesome and the flow was amazing. Also, there's no doubt that the theme is Summer! Good job :)

20: Is this a video from Shin trolling Sommer? :mrgreen: ahah Anywayyyy, theme wise I think the song quite stablished that the season is Spring, because of the May thing... though maybe you could have I dunno, show some more springy sings? I'm sure there are scenes like that, if you know what I mean ._.

21: This was nice, well edited. The theme is clear, but that's it. There's no story :(

22: This video ended up too abruptly and I didn't see the season represented. Actually, no season at all... It's just an action video, a good one, but that's it? Where was the theme?

23: This is a good one, but I don't really see a season represented... I see life and people and the world, but that's too vague for a season theme.

24: Aw I really enjoyed this video! So tempted to finally watch this anime too! ^^ I think your song helped to settle the seasons, so good choice!

25: I'm surprised that this is the first video to actually use this song lol. I think the song screams Summer and so did your scene choices. There were some scenes that didn't quite flow well, but other than it's a cool video!

26: Aw I really like this! Quite entertaining, the story and how you told it. Theme is clear enough! I don't know if this is the dropbox player messing up, but it seemed that the quality was a bit low.

27: Your video is cool, though it's lacking on some things for it not be too boring? Some zooms would had been nice, some of your hard cuts are too abrupt and those are breaking the flow. Also, some parts were a bit slow imo. I love the song, but some scenes felt too random?

28: LOL How to do a action video with a winter theme! The sync was very amusing too ;D

29: Aw I still need to watch this anime! Really liked your video, the flow was great and very summerlike. <3

30: All the Clannad feels! <3 I enjoyed this, but what I see is the girls from Clannad and Tomoya. The seasons are there, but just barely... know what I mean?
Uff, I'm done! My favorite is still number 10. I just love how good and original it is!

Here are some thoughts and advises for whoever wants to read:
Spoiler :
My first advise for whoever passes to the next round: please try to be original. On such a general theme like this, your video will only stand out if it's original! I have nothing against 5cm videos (I love the anime), but for a contest like this and especially at the first round, to use such an overused anime is quite a risk. When you get the theme, find a concept first. It will make things easier for you!

For example, for this theme, here's how I would think about it. What season do I want to represent? Do I want to show more than one season? So I have my season(s), now how am I going to stand out from 29 more editors? For Spring it's more likely that people will do romance videos, for Winter people will probably do more melancholic videos, Summer will most likely have that fun party mood and I'm not sure if people will even use Autumn alone, unless it's a mix. So you figure out what people will most likely do, so you need to run away from that! And now that I have my idea, let's pick an anime or more than one. Let's make sure I know the anime well (this is debatable) or if I'm going to use more than one, google will be my friend to help me find the scenes I want (and fast). About picking the song, let's make sure it fits the mood of my season and the anime(s) I picked.

These are just simple guidelines I usually think about before editing, and it helps a lot! I know time is a key factor, but you have to also think about your video. You can think about it while at work or school (ok I know it's bad but still ;D) or while you're going somewhere. It also helps if you take a look at the titles of the themes and just try to imagine what the real theme will be. Think about what would you do, what song would you use, prepare your footage, etc. You will edit 10x faster if you already know what you want and how you want it. Random pretty scenes for a contest like this are not enough! You have to stand out as much as you can, that's the whole point to get you to the end of this! :wink:

I'm not saying don't edit 5cm videos or ramdom spring scenes, but save those kind of videos to other times. Because even if your editing is superb and perfect, your video will just be that. You want it to be way more! :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

RAWdangers
Org Profile

Post by RAWdangers » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Nice double post siny xPPPP

Aeniara
Org Profile

Post by Aeniara » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Siny's wisdom is clearly too much for a single post.

(and follow her advice, kids!)

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:37 pm

For the record (and because I'm sure it will be asked), the judges have until 11:59 PM CST tonight to get in their scores. I'll tally the scores tomorrow morning and release the second round as well as the round 1 results at the same time. So no need to stay up late tonight, official scores/stuff won't be up until tomorrow morning my time.

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 3: The King of Spring”