In your opinion, how long does it take to make a great AMV?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: In your opinion, how long does it take to make a great A

Post by Rider4Z » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm

illninofan21 wrote:I kind of realized before I even made the topic that time really shouldn't be a factor as it goes with any "art" project. I guess I wanted to know specifically as it pertains to AMVs.

Nonetheless, after years of watching other people's works and visiting this site countless times, it's fun to finally jump in and get my hands dirty. :lol:
asking questions is always good. hearing other people's opinions can always spark new ideas. and welcome to the fray :shark:

zibbazabba905
Org Profile

Post by zibbazabba905 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:11 pm

find videos you like and ask the creator how long it took, and you start to see how long it takes to do somethings [/cannedresponce]

2x on the learning and experience makes it take way longer in the beginning. Kyubeystwood was actually "finished" about a year before it came out, but then it took me the whole year to rotoscope the 30 seconds it has rotoscoping in it, however the one right after it, (Does anyone here remember..) took 15 minutes total and overall has more feels per second than anything I've made...actually I think its my best work...
"Uhmmm... You know... it was at that point that I realized that maybe Thierry wasn't actually a film maker, and he was maybe just someone with mental problems who happened to have a camera. " -Banksy

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:36 am

2-10 hours... some of my best/most awarded videos were made in that time frame...

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:41 pm

I think enjoyment plays a role in the time it takes to make a good AMV as well. Like... if your enjoying what your doing, then it may not seem like it'll take so long but, you know... people try so hard to make like THE GREATEST AMV EVAR MADE!!!! and its like they think they need to edit for hours on end and stress themselves out to like prove a point or whatever...

I think I learned that the best AMV I made so far was with Mkid when we both learned that we didn't really care what we were making just as long as we were having fun. In essence, it only took us like 2 weeks to make the AMV where... usually... I stress myself out on making something amazing but I never have anything to show. But... mostly, I think its all a matter of personal editing preference. You can spend like a year on making something amazing... or just like spend a week making something you enjoy. But, personally, I wouldn't try to make something amazing until you learn to have fun with it first. :P

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:45 am

I tend to take a long time. I think a lot of it is planning things out. Actually making the thing doesn't take that long.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 pm

from when you start it to when you decide that it's done

TehWonderChef
Org Profile

Post by TehWonderChef » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 am

There's not really a set amount of time.

It all depends on both the editor and the scale of the project you're trying to do.

It normally takes me about 20+ hours of work over a week to do mine.

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:41 pm

AMV_4000 wrote:2-10 hours... some of my best/most awarded videos were made in that time frame...
No great videos are made in that timeframe..... you get some good ICs made in 10-20 hours now and again, but they are usually only good at best....

Of course such a question like this depends on what each individual expects from something "great"

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Months/weeks can be deceiving. Someone can edit for 20 hours a week and finish an 80-hour AMV up in a month, while someone else who only can get 5 hours a week in is going to take "longer." Heck, some people have spent years on videos, and sometimes it shows, sometimes not.

Of course, the chances of creating something that LOOKS slapped together are much higher if you actually do indeed slap it together. On the other hand, if you spend the time to tweak and adjust everything, it's hopefully going to show. So, when in doubt, it's worthwhile to take your time.

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama
Org Profile

Post by Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:50 am

I think it depends on the person. For me, it can take maybe 2 or 3 days. Awhile ago it used to take me a week or maybe even two weeks to finish one. But, that was because I was very lazy with making them, I still am, but the time has shortened.

Return to “General AMV”