P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Just a heads up, I'll also be reviewing my own video so :awesome:

Video 1
Spoiler :
Not a whole lot about this video stood out. Overall it felt very, very average. As Sak pointed out, the Card Captor Sakura AR was messed up big time. It's a 4:3 source but you squished it to 16:9 as opposed to properly cropping it so that's something to work on for future endeavors.
The flashes became quite a bit annoying after a while, especially in combination with the zooms. For such a soft songs, harder effects work like that tends to work against mood rather than adding to it.
There wasn't really a lot of dynamic going on. The video just kind of keeps on at the same pace even when the song picks up a bit. It would've been nice to see you really try to drive those feels home but instead it just felt like I was watching a montage of people doing stuff in the snow.
The multi-source overall worked okay. The lyric sync at the very start of the video was a little much at times but it became easier to deal with as the video went on. One thing that really got to me was the fact that there were some sources that really stood out visually and didn't blend well with the others. EF was a major "wait... what the fuck?" moment because the overall art style is so drastically different from all the rest. It kind of breaks the overall visual mood you've got set up when you change to something that is so different looking from the other sources.
And the finally, you've got a song about Christmas and while yes, it's snowing, the only Christmas footage I saw was from Toradora!. So while you did a good job making a very obvious theme is obvious video, the fact that the song is a Christmas song seems to have been totally left out of the equation.
Video 2
Spoiler :
Wow...um...
Ok, so I get the general concept but overall the video is kind of a mess.
While I'm a firm believe in videos that are merely inspired by the theme as opposed to being blatantly obvious, the general editing of this video was rather poor. There wasn't really any dynamic, I couldn't make out any lyric sync (then again I couldn't make out the lyrics for the most part) and it was totally lacking beat or internal sync....so yeah :/
Sorry, keep trying but it's a big :down: for me.
Video 3
Spoiler :
I get that the K-on! movie happens during the winter time but even as a video generally inspired by the theme it doesn't really work. So for theme, that aspect is kind of lost but meh~
The editing however...there wasn't really any beat sync and there wasn't really and internal sync either. I know that you weren't paying attention to the lyrics either so that's out the window too. :P It seemed like you were just kind of putting scenes where you felt like without a lot of regard for the song.
The quote at the end was pretty random too. The video doesn't really show the great friendship they have as a band, more like a slideshow of them singing, sleeping, and walking around.
It would've been really cute if you would've worked more on this and turned it more into a "even in the cold, your friendships will keep you warm" kind of thing. Yeah, it's sappy but it's something that could've worked a bit better :P Overall, it's just kind of there. Doesn't really stand out or work too well, but at least you tried.
Video 4
Spoiler :
The anticipation of Summer and break time is a super difficult time to deal with as someone in school. I remember counting down the days just like some of the scenes in this video. However, that feeling of watching the clock tick away, getting ready to grab your bag and run out the door...it was kind of lacking. You want to build that anticipation up and the second the bell rings freedom washes a wave of excitement and awesome over you. I don't know about you but the last day of school was always a celebration! Almost like the coolest New Years Eve ever but for kids only :P
So basically what I'm saying here is more emotional impact needs to be considered and added. Right now it's cute and enjoyable but it could become a true celebration.
However, since the video ends so suddenly (not even a fade out :( ) we don't even get the chance to see any kind of climax at all. It start to build..and build..and build...and then the video ends.
Finish it. Keep working on it and develop it more.
Edit: And I know it's kind of late, but I miss the format you used for the entries last year with the sources and such :< It looked so much more official

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Video 5 is ready for viewing.

catgod
cat stalker
Org Profile

Post by catgod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Video 5 is ready for viewing.
really enjoyed that one, props to the editor <3
do you even kininarimasu!?
http://shitstirspearesays.tumblr.com/

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:15 am

Lots of banding on one part of vid 5 (dunno if that's just the dropbox <_<), and the sync was so-so. Though the concept and the song really sold it for me :up:

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:22 am

Why would you use the shitty streaming player when there's a download button RIGHT THERE MAN!?
Image Image

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 am

Because I don't want to? xD I barely download vids to begin with and it's not like I'm a judge or anything so it doesn't really matter.

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:59 am

MystykAMV wrote:lol Kim seems like you're motivated to judge ;D good thing :3
Lol I just don't have time on Sunday, and I don't want to wait to judge a whole pile on Saturday.
ImageImage

ChaosGod
Location: Always running away but no matter how far I go there I am
Org Profile

Post by ChaosGod » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 am

just poking my head in to say my vid is about 3/4 done some cleaning and adding last bit of clips left =D but I'm still here and alive sorta hah :amv: |:>

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:12 pm

I'll be livestreaming while I'm watching/judging all these videos and giving some basic critique and feedback sometime this weekend. I'll post links when it begins. :sorcerer:

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Could you record that and upload it for those of us who won't be able to watch it live?
Image Image

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 3: The King of Spring”