Shinsekai Yori

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
ibabrak
Org Profile

Re: Shinsekai Yori

Post by ibabrak » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Damn, this is so good :awesome:
ImageImage

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:37 pm

I've been loving this show all the way except for the few last episodes.
Spoiler :
What really bugs me about the latest episodes is that the show seems to be taking the humans' side. I'm sorry but I completely reject the show's apparent celebration of feudalism and consequently I totally support the queerats' cause. They might not exactly follow the teachings of Gandhi but their cause is totally justified. It's an exemplary case of a united collective fighting for equality and liberty against authoritarian rule. Excuse me but what is wrong with this?

I'm hoping for some kind of a plot twist, which would give some support for the queerats but I'm afraid that's not gonna happen. I'm kind of interested in what the "fiend" will really turn out to be though. I'm also waiting for Maria and Mamoru to make an entrance again (I'm thinking they will).

Fireflyx76
Org Profile

Post by Fireflyx76 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:29 pm

The humans were wrong to pretend to be gods but that doesn't justify genocide.

Also, you haven't figured out the "thing" with the kid yet?

I could be wrong, since I haven't looked up any info but I'm almost 100% sure that this is it...
Spoiler :
The kid was probably brought up in a way that he would think the rats not only superior to him, but that they somehow saved him. Also, as we've seen he's dressed exactly like the rats. I'm sure they were very careful to make sure that the kid never saw his reflection in a mirror, or in water.

Simply put, death feedback isn't hurting the kid because he thinks he's a Queerat.

If one of the humans used their cantus to make a big mirror in front of the kid, and also pulled off his rags, this battle would be over.
Ultimately, I think thats how they will stop the kid.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Fireflyx76 wrote:The humans were wrong to pretend to be gods but that doesn't justify genocide.

Also, you haven't figured out the "thing" with the kid yet?

I could be wrong, since I haven't looked up any info but I'm almost 100% sure that this is it...
Spoiler :
The kid was probably brought up in a way that he would think the rats not only superior to him, but that they somehow saved him. Also, as we've seen he's dressed exactly like the rats. I'm sure they were very careful to make sure that the kid never saw his reflection in a mirror, or in water.

Simply put, death feedback isn't hurting the kid because he thinks he's a Queerat.

If one of the humans used their cantus to make a big mirror in front of the kid, and also pulled off his rags, this battle would be over.
Ultimately, I think thats how they will stop the kid.
Nice insight.
Spoiler :
I thought the same thing about being raised differently instead of just being a flat out fiend, but I didn't really think about how they would achieve that.

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm

holy shit what an ending? What am I supposed to do for the next few days before another episode runs out. I'm going to sleep now but I don't think I can sleep now cause I just need more.
Spoiler :
Not a fiend? Make yourself clear thought of Shun! :D I really wonder what that Shun at the end of the episode will turn out to be
ImageImage

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Spoiler :
I have mixed feelings about the ending.

It was clear from the final episode that the human race was the real enemy for having mutated and oppressed the queerats. In other words the show seemed to be very self-conscious about the fact that the queerats' cause (equality, freedom etc.) was right. Yet I find it strange that nonetheless in the end the humans won and that the authors decided to portray the queerats as evil murderous terrorists in spite of what they represented. I guess what the authors tried to do was to take an "objective" realistic position? (although, when it comes to politics, this is an impossible false position to take)

Squealer was my favorite character. His methods were doomed to fail but he completely persisted to the end and was ready to sacrifice everything to achieve his goal. I'm glad the authors always let him have the last word. I'm sorry but I don't see anything wrong with his character. I even liked his strategic opportunism. Besides his trial and penalty totally exposed the barbarianism of the humans.

Saki was annoying and Satoru even more so. Whenever they were facing a deadlock they would hypocritically leave the dirty work to someone else and take no responsibility for it. For example during the second arc when they needed to fake the deaths of Mamoru and Maria they would agree to use the bones of queerats but didn't want to get their own hands dirty. And in the last episode, after having killed the "fiend", Satoru would nonetheless claim to Squealer that they weren't the ones who killed her because, technically, they only set the trap. And Satoru would always be the one to say the most reactionary garbage whereas Saki at least felt sorry for the queerats. For example during the second arc when they entered Squealer's colony Satoru would be completely horrified about the overthrow of the colony's queen ("They replaced monarchy with democracy - oh the horror!") while Saki was trying to be more sympathetic.

However, overall, I enjoyed the first two arcs. I really liked the sense of mystery and all the mixed feelings about who are the good guys and who are the bad ones. It was especially cool how the dystopian reality of the human society slowly unfolded and all the dark secrets were slowly revealed. And all the weird abstract scenes would make for a nice looking amv :ying:

EkaCoralian
Org Profile

Post by EkaCoralian » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 am

My interest for the series was kind of off and on again.
Spoiler :
The deaths constantly happening in episodes made character deaths seriously lose their value to me (at first it was surprising, but then... ? "Oh... someone else died. That's unfortunate. Welp I guess Saki's alone. Again.") And as strong a character as Saki was expressed to be, the last few episodes REALLY downplayed her character. Satoru was an ass to her up until the final episode, for example.
The ending to the 'fiend' also was extremely anticlimactic. As was Kiroumaru's death (weep god bless you Hiroaki Hirata you wonderful VA).

The only things that I really liked about the last few episodes were the Queerat Colony's strategy, Kiroumaru bein' a badass and Yakomaru's/Squealer's trial leading to the big reveal that they were primitive humans injected with molerat DNA.
The whole show just seemed really slow-moving to me, personally. Probably like a 5/10 for me.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”