Problem with encoding audio in Zarx264gui

acton70
Org Profile

Problem with encoding audio in Zarx264gui

Post by acton70 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:03 pm

So I'm currently using Zarx264gui, but I'm having problems with the Qaac audio encoder. I install quicktime and encode a video, and it seemingly goes ok, however the video becomes unplayable with every player I try. If I have quicktime uninstalled it encodes using libvoaac and it works fine, although it's said 'quality and sync may not be great'

I'm wondering if there really is a noticeable difference between Libvoaac and Qaac? I haven't really noticed any sync issues, although I want the best audio quality available. I can't really tell if there's a difference or not though, so is this problem worth fixing or would it just be better to leave it and use Libvoaac?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: Problem with encoding audio in Zarx264gui

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm

If I recall correctly, with libvoaac audio can get about 1 frame out of sync. Usually it isn't too noticeable.
As far as audio quality, the quicktime encoder is far superior, but maybe the difference is only something an audiophile can tell the difference between. If you are concerned use a higher quality/bitrate setting.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Re: Problem with encoding audio in Zarx264gui

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 am

Re noticing and/or telling the difference, facts: to notice the difference at all, the desync has to be 100ms or longer. This is due to the human eye being incapable of noticing motion changes faster than 1/10th of a second. At regular framerates (24fps), this equates to 2.5 frames. As for the difference in quality between the encoders, nobody can tell based on the same bitrates or whatever. The only real difference between encoders in that regard is compression efficiency (how good the quantizer is), and what the clipping ceiling is. While the quantizer is not tuneable in this manner, the encoders are generally close enough that there is no real difference at reasonable bitrates. Clipping however is tuneable and a set of headphones with a reasonably good dynamic range can show the point quite clearly.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”