Universe

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Universe

Post by Eake4 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:09 am

My abilities in After Effects want to grow so I might as well put it up here. I've had much thoughts lately on building a whole universe in 3D (2.5D technically) within After Effects.
I know CC sphere could help make some planets. other Cycore FX could make star burst, change colour and all that.

1. But what I'm stuck is with the positioning of the system as a whole and how I could perhaps increase the "attractiveness" of my space and planets (what elements is good and natural looking to add e.g. space clouds)

2. If I wanted to make the entire universe brighter would an adjustment layer be a good choice? or a few flares? or something else completely that I didn't think of? Maybe I could use an adjustment layer within each .

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Re: Universe

Post by Ryvannis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Eake4 wrote:My abilities in After Effects want to grow so I might as well put it up here. I've had much thoughts lately on building a whole universe in 3D (2.5D technically) within After Effects.
I know CC sphere could help make some planets. other Cycore FX could make star burst, change colour and all that.

1. But what I'm stuck is with the positioning of the system as a whole and how I could perhaps increase the "attractiveness" of my space and planets (what elements is good and natural looking to add e.g. space clouds)

2. If I wanted to make the entire universe brighter would an adjustment layer be a good choice? or a few flares? or something else completely that I didn't think of? Maybe I could use an adjustment layer within each .
Can't add too much to your first question but for your second I have an answer. An adjustment layer for each layer within pretty much defeats the purpose so adjustment layers save the problem of applying to multiple layers, this is where composition layers come in if you plan to follow that path. As for making the entire universe brighter, could clarify that a bit further?

I'm also going to assume that you are using this for a video?

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:38 pm

basically just by changing brightness of the universe as a whole without glow or any singular effect.

and yes this is for a video

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Then I would just recommend an adjustment layer. If your going as a whole then that would be the effect instead of applying it to every layer. The adjustment layer allows the effect to pass through all layers below it, I also believe that you do have the ability to make multiple adjustment layers to cut off or make necessary adjustments as well. It also helps with rendering as AE won't have to reprocess every layer, instead it will be rendering from one source.

MillenaryWish
Org Profile

Post by MillenaryWish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Hmm, you should consider adding some flares in the distance, make them look like they are stars really far away. You should also play around with the curves tool, probably add some glow as well, try to make the dark a little darker and the brights a little brighter, and Yes! Adjustment layer would be good, That's one of the main reasons they were created. Just try to use your imagination. Look for some space pictures on Google and try to recreate elements you like :)

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:07 am

Isn't there a faster way for a lazy guy like me?? (yes, adjustment layers aren't fast enough)

MillenaryWish
Org Profile

Post by MillenaryWish » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:05 pm

there are faster ways but that doesn't mean they're easy I'll try to create a quick script for you and send it to you on skype

Return to “Effects & Techniques”