Tips

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Tips

Post by Sephirothskr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:25 pm

I've been doing this for a long time. 5 years almost. I have a problem with the whole AMV thing.

1: I use the highest quality anime possible, yet I still get some pixelations in the final product. Is there something wrong with my rendering?

2: 99% of good AMV's I see have an element to them.. I can't recreate. I can post a video to show you what I mean.
https://vimeo.com/48649783

Notice in this video the "cinematic" effect. The zoom ins with 0 quality loss. The slight screen shake. I've yet to figure out how on EARTH you get this wierd.. just.. nostalgic effect that every single EVERY ONE has. Insight on this is appreciated.
I know this isn't the place for uploads but JUST FOR CRITIQUING, please watch it.. This is my most recent attempt at achieving this effect.. Yet I still don't feel it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1-pPIFt6Kc

3: I use sony vegas. Is this a problem? Do I need something better?

I've been bothered for years by this by the inability to create that "perfect" amv. I'm trying not to sound like some jerk asking all this but I'm just asking for help. Thanks :)

Nivedo
Org Profile

Re: Tips

Post by Nivedo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Sony vegas is a good video editing software, but one place where it falls off (in my experience) compared to other video editing software, mainly After Effects, is the amount of available visual effects options. starting out AE has more, better options available from the get-go whereas Sony Vegas in order to have the same features, you would have to download several plug-ins. AE on the other hand starts out with some great effects, but with a few plug-ins, you can get a great amount of effects that can better cater to what you are trying to accomplish.

the zero percent quality loss is also probably a factor in how the zoom was done, but more than likely i would guess that it was saved due to excellent quality and rendering settings.

i hope i was able to shed some light on the problem you were having, i have been using sony vegas ever since i started making amvs for fun about 3 years ago, and for one of my classes in college, we are having to use after effects, and after the first project where i used vegas, and everyone else used AE, it was a bit of an eye opener.

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:46 am

I've been using vegas for so long it's like.. Transitioning into a new software would be extremely difficult for me.. :(

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:18 pm

After Effects isn't a replacement for editing software, it's more like an add-on or an extra. It can do more in the way of effects than Vegas can.

As for editing amvs, I might suggest disabling the resample on all of your clips - that will help the quality, also look at what those videos you enjoy are doing, really analyze them and see if you can figure out what that "something" is, because I guarantee it's not just effects.

Nivedo
Org Profile

Post by Nivedo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:11 am

well i just switched over to After effects last night, where i have been using vegas for the past 3 years. so i dont quite know alot about specification comparison between the two just quite yet. but when i turned in a project from vegas to another computer it got pixelated big time, and it was just a 30 second video with one picture. but anyways, like was already said check settings, and i hope you figure out the problem

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 pm

If you are getting pixelization from exporting from Vegas then you are exporting wrong, be sure to check your settings and make sure that they match your input.

Return to “General AMV”