[AKROSS Con 2012] - Chance

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
xDreww
Org Profile

[AKROSS Con 2012] - Chance

Post by xDreww » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:34 pm

My entry for this years Akross. Not much to say, just a simple romance AMV. More details about the video on download link page. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks for watching, hope you guys enjoy!
Special thanks to Niwa , Chiiisus , AimoAio

Youtube: http://youtu.be/FbMVWcEtz-E
Last edited by xDreww on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gabberMD
Org Profile

Re: [AKROSS Con 2012] - Chance

Post by gabberMD » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:02 pm

u already know my opinion :P nice job :D

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm

I know we've had our differences in the past, but I really feel like I need to comment on this video, so I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Overall, I think your technical are solid, you've definitely improved over time from what I've seen with your use of software and you effectively put it to use properly to help aid the atmosphere of videos. The color and other visual changes you made really helped to build the mood of the video and matched the song tone rather well. That said, I really have to wonder why you used two sources for this, as one would have been a much better choice. Also, the two shows you chose do not mesh well, and you leave the viewer wondering how the two shows are supposed to connect or compare, which never has a payoff. Another problem I had it doesn't really progress, it jumps right into these characters "being in love" and has no buildup, which really leaves the viewer with nothing to care about as they have no investment in caring for the characters unless they've seen the show before. This causes the video to peak early and leaves nothing for the viewer after the first minutes of the video.

Overall I'd say this video has strong technical, with weak story and emotion building execution, which makes for a very average video. It may sound a little harsh, but I like to keep it real with veteran editors. I know not every video any editor puts out will be a masterpiece, but I do like to give solid feedback to help editors view things from a different perspective and think about flaws they may not have noticed before (and I like others to do the same for me too ;)).
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

xDreww
Org Profile

Post by xDreww » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:42 pm

gabberMD wrote:u already know my opinion :P nice job :D
Thanks bro. Thanks for the comment. :)
l33tmeatwad wrote:I know we've had our differences in the past, but I really feel like I need to comment on this video, so I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Overall, I think your technical are solid, you've definitely improved over time from what I've seen with your use of software and you effectively put it to use properly to help aid the atmosphere of videos. The color and other visual changes you made really helped to build the mood of the video and matched the song tone rather well. That said, I really have to wonder why you used two sources for this, as one would have been a much better choice. Also, the two shows you chose do not mesh well, and you leave the viewer wondering how the two shows are supposed to connect or compare, which never has a payoff. Another problem I had it doesn't really progress, it jumps right into these characters "being in love" and has no buildup, which really leaves the viewer with nothing to care about as they have no investment in caring for the characters unless they've seen the show before. This causes the video to peak early and leaves nothing for the viewer after the first minutes of the video.

Overall I'd say this video has strong technical, with weak story and emotion building execution, which makes for a very average video. It may sound a little harsh, but I like to keep it real with veteran editors. I know not every video any editor puts out will be a masterpiece, but I do like to give solid feedback to help editors view things from a different perspective and think about flaws they may not have noticed before (and I like others to do the same for me too ;)).
No worries man. Thanks a lot for your feedback! I can say yes I do agree with you. I admit you are right about what you said, all I can say it's just a normal romance AMV I guess..nothing really big or speical about it. Aside from my coloring and mood and scene selection. Though yes theres not really a "build up" Kind of yes and kind of no. I decided to mash these two animes together because I've always wanted to use them both together somehow. I personality think it went well, yes it could have been a bit more cleaner if I just used one source, but meh. Just wanted to do something with both. If anyone wanted to just watch a simple romance video, this would be one choice. I don't really think I put so much into making a "concept" so much I just went with the flow. Thanks a lot for your comment though. Happy you took some time to say your thoughts.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 pm

A really cute romance video. :)

The ToraDora fanboy in me wish it was JUST Toradora, but I'll take what I can get. I echo l33t's thoughts on the concept, although I still think videos can stand solid on mood/atmosphere alone, and this video has it. Your effects/coloring has gotten really fantastic over time, and it just really matches the flow/ebb of the music well. Nice scene selection and just a solid mood overall. :up:

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:35 am

Very cute :) Quite interesting

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm also wondering why you used two sources instead of one. Couldn't really see much connection there except that both have some really cute scenes in them. But I like what you did with the coloring etc. in order to make the visual look of the two sources blend together.

As for the sync choices, I was kind of hoping for more consistency in your use of cuts and fades. Though I admit this is kind of a personal annoyance, which always makes me go like "there were just four fades in a row and then...a cut? NOTHING CHANGED IN THE SONG SO Y U SYNC DIFFERENTLY?!" I also wasn't a fan of the white flashes. They looked kind plain compared to all the other coloring and lightning/contrast/whatever effects you had.

That said, I think it had a really cute and sort of intimate feel to it. And it would be all too easy to say it's just due to the anime/song combination! Nice job :up:

Niwa
Cake Addiction
Org Profile

Post by Niwa » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Definetly a major improvements over the last betas I've gotten from you, and it's nice to see that most of the tweaks has been adjusted and refined. Still not quite fond of the sparkles in some scenes, they just won't blend too well with the footage except for the night scene in the middle. Some colouring still need some work as mentioned on our previous conversation, they just look too bland which could've been easily fixed with adjusting RGB curves or levels in After Effects, but most scenes looked fine in the end.

Keep it up :up:

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 pm

The mood's definitely there, but like others have already mentioned, it's difficult to get into the AMV because it doesn't have a very strong concept and I think the problem was because you used two animes instead of focusing on one. The AMV starts off really well with a great mood buildup but it starts to disappear around midway and the later section just feels really random. But I know you had your own reasons for using two animes and the AMV did turn out really cute so it's okay. <3

The best part for me would probably be the section around 1:12-1:45 where the scenes were just perfect and it felt like you managed to convey the feelings of the guy exactly like the song suggests. I personally love the sparkles though like Niwa said, they could have been blended in better to make it seem more natural like they're part of the anime instead of something that was artificially created. Colouring looks fantastic as usual. You have really good technicals but I think some more work in scene selection in this would have made it much better. Still, pretty enjoyable though! Good work Drew! ^^ :up:

xDreww
Org Profile

Post by xDreww » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 pm

CodeZTM wrote:A really cute romance video. :)

The ToraDora fanboy in me wish it was JUST Toradora, but I'll take what I can get. I echo l33t's thoughts on the concept, although I still think videos can stand solid on mood/atmosphere alone, and this video has it. Your effects/coloring has gotten really fantastic over time, and it just really matches the flow/ebb of the music well. Nice scene selection and just a solid mood overall. :up:
Thanks Code! Glad to see another opinion from you!
Emong wrote:I'm also wondering why you used two sources instead of one. Couldn't really see much connection there except that both have some really cute scenes in them. But I like what you did with the coloring etc. in order to make the visual look of the two sources blend together.

As for the sync choices, I was kind of hoping for more consistency in your use of cuts and fades. Though I admit this is kind of a personal annoyance, which always makes me go like "there were just four fades in a row and then...a cut? NOTHING CHANGED IN THE SONG SO Y U SYNC DIFFERENTLY?!" I also wasn't a fan of the white flashes. They looked kind plain compared to all the other coloring and lightning/contrast/whatever effects you had.

That said, I think it had a really cute and sort of intimate feel to it. And it would be all too easy to say it's just due to the anime/song combination! Nice job :up:
Thanks for your thoughts. :3
Niwa wrote:Definetly a major improvements over the last betas I've gotten from you, and it's nice to see that most of the tweaks has been adjusted and refined. Still not quite fond of the sparkles in some scenes, they just won't blend too well with the footage except for the night scene in the middle. Some colouring still need some work as mentioned on our previous conversation, they just look too bland which could've been easily fixed with adjusting RGB curves or levels in After Effects, but most scenes looked fine in the end.

Keep it up :up:
Thanks niwa! Thanks for the help and your thoughts, I'll keep trying. ^^
AimoAio wrote:The mood's definitely there, but like others have already mentioned, it's difficult to get into the AMV because it doesn't have a very strong concept and I think the problem was because you used two animes instead of focusing on one. The AMV starts off really well with a great mood buildup but it starts to disappear around midway and the later section just feels really random. But I know you had your own reasons for using two animes and the AMV did turn out really cute so it's okay. <3

The best part for me would probably be the section around 1:12-1:45 where the scenes were just perfect and it felt like you managed to convey the feelings of the guy exactly like the song suggests. I personally love the sparkles though like Niwa said, they could have been blended in better to make it seem more natural like they're part of the anime instead of something that was artificially created. Colouring looks fantastic as usual. You have really good technicals but I think some more work in scene selection in this would have made it much better. Still, pretty enjoyable though! Good work Drew! ^^ :up:
I get what your saying, thanks again for your help again may. :3 I'll try to watch out next time. Thanks for your thoughts here. ^^

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”