[AKROSS Con 2012] Sooner than Later

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: [AKROSS Con 2012] Sooner than Later

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:37 pm

I liked the video. I thought it was a good combination between the audio and the video and had a nice sync to it. I liked the highlighting on the characters and their own little worlds, and the action pacing during the chorus. A very dramatic action based romance AMV maybe? ;)

I do tend to agree about the story/concept. I felt like that could have been made more clear with some subtle scene changes here and there, but I still understood what was going on pretty easily.

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Hmm not bad, I liked it :up:

Aeniara
Org Profile

Post by Aeniara » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 am

Chiiisus wrote:I agree that some parts did feel a bit random and parts were a bit rough in terms of story but I still think it was a really nice edit overall and congrats on making the finals! :3
[madaraxD] wrote:Already watched it on akross, nice video overall, agree with the other about the story (was a bit, just a bit xD, random sometimes for me), but i still love it <3
PS: i really need watch Chihayafuru now x_x
CodeZTM wrote:I liked the video. I thought it was a good combination between the audio and the video and had a nice sync to it. I liked the highlighting on the characters and their own little worlds, and the action pacing during the chorus. A very dramatic action based romance AMV maybe? ;)

I do tend to agree about the story/concept. I felt like that could have been made more clear with some subtle scene changes here and there, but I still understood what was going on pretty easily.
Theredflash66 wrote:Hmm not bad, I liked it :up:
Thanks everyone! I will keep all of that in mind :D

siny
Org Profile

Post by siny » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 am

Finally writing a comment here! Let's see when I'll finally click the submit button... ^^'

First, what I think about this video. I-love-it, that's it. This and Taite's videos are my favorite Chihayafuru videos (please feel free to pm more worthy videos with this source ;p). The first beta I saw from you, well I pretty much fangirled over the source AND the song. I've always wanted to edit with, but never found a fitting song (damn you!). I think your video shows very well what the anime is about (though why don't you love my OTP, why Phil, why...).

Now, I'm gonna also comment what has been said, because I can't. stay. quiet. So sorry! ;_;

I love how well this song fits the anime and the story of the characters. Not just about the 3 friends, but also their challenges! I don't think the flashbacks are a random thing on this video, at all. The anime is all about flashbacks, because it's important to keep in mind how the 3 of them spent their childhood, how they were a team and now... now they're separated (kinda). I think Phil shows really well their past and present and how it will influence their future. "We'll make it there, sooner than later". I don't know what she was thinking when she picked the scenes, but that clip that was mentioned with Chihaya and the flowers? I don't think it's random at all, because she is the glue that keeps them together. She is loved by both of them and to those that watched the anime, they know that both are not giving up. They've been like that since kids! So when there's a scene with the 3 of them as children and then that clip? I think it just reinforces how both guys see her. But that's what I think when I see the video. I am one of those editors who constantly tries to match the lyrics with the videos, even if it's not clear to others IT MUST be clear for me or it's not the same thing. So with this song, where you constantly have the words "Sooner or later" popping in, it asks for flashbacks. You need to see them as they were "sooner" and you need to see them as they are "later". It's the same with the game, they win and they lose. They're still not where they want to be, but they're fighting for it. About the lack of romance... I think the song works for romance and non-romance, which is the case. I like that her main focus was their friendship and what brought them to be friends in the first place: the game.

My two scents! Awesome job and such great progress Phil, I feel sooooo lucky for seeing you progress through the years! :D
ImageImage
ImageImage

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 pm

I should probably mention now before anything else that I absolutely ADORE the song. It's a song that a friend recommended to me last summer and it's been my top favourite of Mat Kearney's songs ever since, so yeah my opinion will most likely be slightly biased cause I love both your sources. (aww yeah Chihayafuru!!! <3)

You know, I actually started an AMV with this song last summer but with Penguindrum instead. So when I first saw this, I found it difficult to get into because my vision of the song was with an anime that had a completely different story. Anyway theme wise....I think I get it. It's pretty abstract I must say but then I like abstract, it gets me thinking. If I'm right, I think you were trying to show something along the lines of "desperation"? When I hear this song, I imagine someone trying really hard to achieve something, they keep on hoping they'll reach it soon but at the same time they're impatient, they're desperate to reach it. In your AMV and from what I got from your description here:
« As long as we have karuta, we'll see each other again, won't we? As long as we keep playing, we'll see each other again. »
The question and the self confirmation afterwards reminds me of someone who's unsure and hopelessly clings onto something they believe to be true. It makes them look desperate. You showed this pretty well in your AMV using facial expressions and hardworking sequences, a few good examples at: 1:04, 1:07, 1:10, 1:16, actually this whole section till up around 1:37 was fantastic in showing this element, then at 2:22 again. I also liked the mix of "hopeful" and dreamlike scenes like the one at 2:15 and at 2:24 (obviously there are A LOT more examples than the ones I listed but if I had to write a list, we'd be here forever >__>) because they give a nice touch in showing how hopes and dreams are closely linked with desperation, in the sense that if you were to ever achieve those hopes and dreams, you need to work really hard.

Now that's the good side of your scene selection but like the others have already mentioned before, you had some really odd scenes in there at times that either a) made no sense or b) broke the flow cause it just didn't fit. The first one is more of a bigger issue but the good thing is you only had a few of them and from the top of my mind the only one I can recall just now is the one where the card slams onto the window where Kanade appears. It's a cool bit of sync but the scene was just so random! As for b, the more noticeable sections are the intro at 0:16 where modern-Chihaya appears walking along all of a sudden in the middle of a sequence that shows the past and then at 1:13 where you had a nice blossom scenery which is totally acceptable as a transition-type scene but then you had Chihaya randomly brushing her hair aside looking pretty before she turns ferocious and we see more card slamming scenes with Chihaya and Taichi. It all felt very strange and broke up your AMV. 1:08 was kinda random too cause it's sandwhiched between two present-scenes and there isn't anything to suggest it's a memory, although it's sorta passable because it goes with the "hope" theme. For a video that focuses primarily on Arata, Chihaya and Taichi, having other characters really detracts from the impact of their relationship you're trying to show. Like at 1:37, it's a team scene. Normally it's fine to leave it like that but for a video like this, you could have tried to make the other 3 seem less significant in comparison with Taichi and Chihaya (maybe a mask with black and white) to give emphasis to your concept. And oh yeah, 2:45 where Chihaya looks up from her umbrella didn't quite fit the sequence of events because earlier you showed her closing her umbrella at 1:08 as the day clears.

So a couple of mishaps with scene selection there, it didn't affect me that much because I enjoyed the AMV as a whole so I was able to ignore those mishaps though I can understand why some others might think differently. Technicals wise, I liked the editing. You kept the pacing fast to match with the theme and did a lot of beat sync which I LOVE. <3 But you also kept it smooth with soft fades and light flashes which fit extremely well with the mood of the song. It's really nice. :up: There were a few dodgy parts (such as 2:34 where there's a weird flash) and the pacing was slightly fast at parts (1:42 where you first started the second verse) for the song even though you used beat sync there.

Oh god, I ended up writing an essay again. I need to save these for OPs instead next time. >__> The whole theme of desperation could just be my own nonsensical interpretation but despite all that I said up there, I really did love watching this AMV and it's because I really liked it that I can find so much to write about it since it's able to leave such a lasting impression on me. And I am notorious for my awful memory at times. :sweat: So yeah, good job! I'll be looking out for your future videos, so keep up the good work! :up: :mrgreen:

Aeniara
Org Profile

Post by Aeniara » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 am

siny wrote:I think your video shows very well what the anime is about (though why don't you love my OTP, why Phil, why...).
I'm not sorry at all ;p Thank you siny! <3
AimoAio wrote:If I'm right, I think you were trying to show something along the lines of "desperation"? When I hear this song, I imagine someone trying really hard to achieve something, they keep on hoping they'll reach it soon but at the same time they're impatient, they're desperate to reach it. In your AMV and from what I got from your description here:
« As long as we have karuta, we'll see each other again, won't we? As long as we keep playing, we'll see each other again. »
The question and the self confirmation afterwards reminds me of someone who's unsure and hopelessly clings onto something they believe to be true. It makes them look desperate. You showed this pretty well in your AMV using facial expressions and hardworking sequences, a few good examples at: 1:04, 1:07, 1:10, 1:16, actually this whole section till up around 1:37 was fantastic in showing this element, then at 2:22 again. I also liked the mix of "hopeful" and dreamlike scenes like the one at 2:15 and at 2:24 (obviously there are A LOT more examples than the ones I listed but if I had to write a list, we'd be here forever >__>) because they give a nice touch in showing how hopes and dreams are closely linked with desperation, in the sense that if you were to ever achieve those hopes and dreams, you need to work really hard.

Now that's the good side of your scene selection but like the others have already mentioned before, you had some really odd scenes in there at times that either a) made no sense or b) broke the flow cause it just didn't fit. The first one is more of a bigger issue but the good thing is you only had a few of them and from the top of my mind the only one I can recall just now is the one where the card slams onto the window where Kanade appears. It's a cool bit of sync but the scene was just so random! As for b, the more noticeable sections are the intro at 0:16 where modern-Chihaya appears walking along all of a sudden in the middle of a sequence that shows the past and then at 1:13 where you had a nice blossom scenery which is totally acceptable as a transition-type scene but then you had Chihaya randomly brushing her hair aside looking pretty before she turns ferocious and we see more card slamming scenes with Chihaya and Taichi. It all felt very strange and broke up your AMV. 1:08 was kinda random too cause it's sandwhiched between two present-scenes and there isn't anything to suggest it's a memory, although it's sorta passable because it goes with the "hope" theme. For a video that focuses primarily on Arata, Chihaya and Taichi, having other characters really detracts from the impact of their relationship you're trying to show. Like at 1:37, it's a team scene. Normally it's fine to leave it like that but for a video like this, you could have tried to make the other 3 seem less significant in comparison with Taichi and Chihaya (maybe a mask with black and white) to give emphasis to your concept. And oh yeah, 2:45 where Chihaya looks up from her umbrella didn't quite fit the sequence of events because earlier you showed her closing her umbrella at 1:08 as the day clears.

So a couple of mishaps with scene selection there, it didn't affect me that much because I enjoyed the AMV as a whole so I was able to ignore those mishaps though I can understand why some others might think differently. Technicals wise, I liked the editing. You kept the pacing fast to match with the theme and did a lot of beat sync which I LOVE. <3 But you also kept it smooth with soft fades and light flashes which fit extremely well with the mood of the song. It's really nice. :up: There were a few dodgy parts (such as 2:34 where there's a weird flash) and the pacing was slightly fast at parts (1:42 where you first started the second verse) for the song even though you used beat sync there.

Oh god, I ended up writing an essay again. I need to save these for OPs instead next time. >__> The whole theme of desperation could just be my own nonsensical interpretation but despite all that I said up there, I really did love watching this AMV and it's because I really liked it that I can find so much to write about it since it's able to leave such a lasting impression on me. And I am notorious for my awful memory at times. :sweat: So yeah, good job! I'll be looking out for your future videos, so keep up the good work! :up: :mrgreen:
Thank you for such a detailed comment! No, essays are good, I love essays (I love to read them, not to write them :p).
Yes, I did try to focus not only on desperation, but also the hope that someday they would meet Arata again. And then the hard work they needed to go through to finally meet him during a match. That's what I love the most about Chihaya, it doesn't matter what her goal is, she will always give everything she has to make it.
I don't know what else to say about the scene selection, but I promise to make sure that I won't leave any more details behind on the next one, since the lack of time won't be a suitable excuse :sweat:.
Once again, thank you! :D

AsuSa
Org Profile

Post by AsuSa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:25 pm

god! I loved loved !! *-*

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”