Searching for a unusual type of anime

Tonstar
Org Profile

Searching for a unusual type of anime

Post by Tonstar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm looking for an anime that is almost an opposite to a harem anime, one where the guy helps girls to find love but never finds love himself and is left alone and lonely. The only anime i can think of that comes somewhat close to this description is The World God Only Knows but thats not quite what i'm looking for. If anyone knows of any anime that somewhat fits the description, i would love to know what they are. Thnx.

P.S. This is not for an AMV, this is for my own veiwing pleasure (or displeasure).

Zanzaben
Org Profile

Re: Searching for a unusual type of anime

Post by Zanzaben » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Well that is not easy. I would say these 2 are you best bet.

Ef - A Tale Of Memories/Melodies
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan
Yu Himura from Ef really plays the role of helping everyone and getting nothing but he isn't really the main character and his background isn't really explained till the second season.
Rick from Shining Hearts never tries to get with any girl and he and his friends are always trying to make everyone else's lives nicer so it is kinda like that.

The problem with this type is that that kind of role of helping everybody but in the end getting no one is usually something more done by side characters who help out the main character. There are also several of harem anime where the guy will go and help out a bunch of different girls with life problems but he ends up getting together with one of them by the end.

Also there is the ongoing show called "Little Busters" it might be like what you want or it will be where in the end he does find someone, I don't know because it hasn't finished yet.
Zanz Bonus Points Tally
8bit_samurai: 1, CodeZTM: 1, Eake4: 2, ibabrak: 5, Mirkosp: 4, tipsd9video: 1, uncreative: 1

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Considering what you're looking for, it sounds like anime where there are cupids would do?
"30-sai no Hoken Taiiku," the various cupids' role is to make the protagonists get together, and for the whole show they go out of their way to make it happen (watch it alone, it's not R-18, but I'd call it R-17.5 :roll: ).
"Ochamegami Monogatari: Korokoro Pollon," to a degree, as Cupid is a cupid after all, but it's not so much focused on him. There are a few episodes about love, and IIRC one episode was about Pollon throwing arrows around to form couples of any kind and fetish, much to the viewer's lulz (this is a kid-safe show, I swear :jester: ).
As a last ditch effort with the cupid search, anidb gave this to me: "Bit the Cupid" ─ I have not seen it, thus I have no clue if this can do.

Out of cupid territory, "ToraDora," in the second half, could do. They help each other to get to the respective beloved one. I think "Lovely Complex" did this too in the beginning...
"Aoi Bungaku Series" ─ specifically the "Kokoro" arc, as that is quite honestly perfect for what you're looking for, I believe (not directly protagonist helping the girl, somewhat more indirect, but it might do). The "No Longer Human" arc also covers netorare, which in a way might be a genre close to what you're looking for, but that's most often than not about R-18 content. Pretty much the only non r-18 titles in the category on anidb, aside from Aoi Bungaku, are School Days (which is pretty borderline and not what you want), and Colorful (good movie, but, again, it's not really about what you want).

PS: Little Busters' going to unfold a story different from what people expect (unless said people already know it), to be honest, and it's bad anyway.

Spaintakula
Org Profile

Post by Spaintakula » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 am

I dont know exactly like that...but try "5 centimeters per second"...
Its bout a boy and girl who are friends and love eachother...and they meet up for one last time,after taht its :S.....see for yourself

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:35 am

"Voices of a Distant Star"

He ends up alone and lonely for certain.

Has my favorite quote:
"I stand before a door that will never open, still...... I knock on it for eternity."
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Not necessarily, the movie is a retelling of The Forever War. There is hope that he will manage to catch up to her.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Wouldn't she have to catch him since he's old and she's still young?

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:14 pm

What you are looking for is someone whose's Gay and does not know it -- yet!

Tonstar
Org Profile

Post by Tonstar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Well, thanks for the help guys. Those that were suggested i had either seen before or weren't quite what i was after. It is an odd type and is not really the kind of story one wants to depict so it was kinda a slim chance of finding something like this. Thanks for the suggestions anyway, i'll keep up the search. Cheers.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:06 am

Isn't it annoying when you have this image in your head and just can't find the scenes to bring it to life?

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “General Anime”