Adobe.com offering up most of CS2 for free [win/mac]

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Adobe.com offering up most of CS2 for free [win/mac]

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Regarding point #5, that sounds specifically like the 'Upgrade' retail packages that sometimes get offered - those aren't 'full' versions in that sense, because they require a previous version to be present to install them (Microsoft does the same thing with the much cheaper Upgrade packages of Windows). Is that what these CS2 packages really are?

Still questionable regarding the whole matter of the download page not making it clear that the stuff there is for users that already own a CS2 license. It says nothing at all in that respect. Or that even a day after the story broke and the servers getting hammered over this, that the download page is still public and now doesn't even require a login ID. As urgent as this would supposedly be, why haven't they taken the page down or put the right restrictions in place? It's not like they don't have the resources to have fixed it by now.

This is why I'm waiting for a clearer response than what they've dished out so far. It all still looks pretty suspect to me.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Qyot27 wrote:Is that what these CS2 packages really are?
No, they are full installers, no pre-requisite software to get it working.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:09 pm

mirkosp wrote: The official statement by Adobe is this:
... These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems.
The bottom line is that linking to the page, by itself, is not illegal considering its' Adobe's official site giving "that person access"
.. Now whether or not it is illegal depends on the final user having a valid CS2 License prior to downloading it
-- which can be verified instantly upon install by Adobe.

The rest is up to Adobe.
. Chances are, they will go after the one whose Licenses are being exployed; after all, these are Registered just one person. :nono:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:45 pm

The more congent question, I guess, is if (technical legalities aside) this thread isn't running afoul of established site rules or guidelines on such things.

Is it really any different than posting a torrent with the disclaimer that you should only use it if you have a valid claim to it?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:00 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:The more congent question, I guess, is if (technical legalities aside) this thread isn't running afoul of established site rules or guidelines on such things.

Is it really any different than posting a torrent with the disclaimer that you should only use it if you have a valid claim to it?
A torrent wouldn't be on Adobe's official site, would it? That's more like where the line can be drawn, I'd say. The simple fact it's on Adobe's official site and publicly available is why this whole situation is so grey area to begin with.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:33 pm

How about I make it easier on everyone and request this thread be deleted with an addendum that if you would like to talk about Adobe's precarious legal situation concerning its software downloads section, you should make a thread in the general discussion forum?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:38 pm

umm, maybe the one to ask would be "tab." considering he's with the Doom9 Network;
I would imagine this issue has popped-up a few times on their forums ^__^

-- just a thought

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 am

It's now been 2, almost 3, weeks and the page is still up. It does now have a notice at the top that says:
Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago, do not run on many modern operating systems, and are no longer supported.

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.
But it still took them this long to put that notice there (I'd checked the page yesterday or the day before, no notice; today, notice).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:25 am

Qyot27 wrote:It's now been 2, almost 3, weeks and the page is still up. It does now have a notice at the top that says:
Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago, do not run on many modern operating systems, and are no longer supported.

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.
But it still took them this long to put that notice there (I'd checked the page yesterday or the day before, no notice; today, notice).
That notice was mentioned on the ars technica story that I first read about this on, the day after it happened. They had it posted somewhere beforehand, not nessisarily on that page. The story comments suggested that they had several different pages up for this over the course of those first few days.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 am

It may have been the difference between the initial link the thread mentions (that required logging in first), and the new one, which requires no login at all.

Also, it's still extremely similar to the standing 'official' explanation, although it's a bit more direct. The thing that gets me is the proscription of what licensed users should do juxtaposed against the statement that Adobe advises against running outdated software. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the fact that they haven't restricted the page down for some sort of verification first is what's still weird about the whole thing. They're smart enough to know that the honor system means nothing on the Internet, and they have the technical resources to avoid that situation - even without the activation servers.

Return to “Adobe Software”