I NEED HEEEEEEEEELP!!!

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
gotegenks
Org Profile

I NEED HEEEEEEEEELP!!!

Post by gotegenks » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 am

okay, so there's this new animecon coming to my city and atm they have no plans of doing an amv contest but they have panel submissions and idfkjasdflksjdf idk how this crap works in the slightest, it looks pretty barren atm so maybe they're just looking for new content or something

http://sabakucon.com/

that's the con. So pretty much...i was gonna submit and then try to make everything work, but then i thhought about shit i would need if i was gonna do it, like would i need to supply my own projector and tables and shit or do they have that stuff or would they get it for me and BAFLSDKFJSD

SO I REALLY WANT TO BRING AN AMV CONTEST TO MY CITY, I THINK THAT WOULD BE INSANELY BADASS, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT GOES INTO IT, AND THEN I WAS LIKE "WELL FUCK, I'VE GOT THE GREATEST AMV COMMUNITY IN THE HISTORY OF HOSDFIJ AT MY FINGERTIPS! AND THEY SPECIALIZE IN CONVENTIONS! FUCK YEAH!" so yeah, idk...if you could just give me some info on some things that'd be lovely, any bit of info helps, stuff like...

1. What do i need to provide myself?
2. What's the best way to get them to consider an amv contest/exhibition as a panel at all
3. Should it be a contest or just an exhibition?
4. This is the first ever sabakucon here, and its in april, is there not enough time to get one together?
5. You guys would send me some vids right, riiight? :D
6. What's the hardest part about getting this shit done right?
7. Do i need mad connections? I know a guy who has a girl who apparently has some sort of connection to the administration, so hopefully that could be enough.
8. What are the chances of them even reading my e-mail?
9. Should i just be e-mailing admins instead of posting here and annoying you all?
10. How many judges do i need? it says 4 panelists including myself would be allowed 1 day passes for the event, so i'm guessing like 4 judges unless some attendees that i might know would like to help out. So would i need more than 4 or 4 is fine? And on that note, how do you go about selecting judges? I was just thinking a couple friends of mine that like amvs/music, but their opinions on amvs probably suck...but does that even matter? I'm not really aiming for a high quality contest or anything, i mean i'll do my best but i won't fool myself into thinking it'll be anything more than showing some amvs and some people pickin their faves orr something...
11. Do i need good stage presence/radiovoice? If i don't have one of those should i find someone who does?
12. Do any of you live nearby and want to help out? because that would be the bo-bobobo-boooooommmbbbbbb!!!!!!!!
13. One day/one panel is enoughh right? idk if some bigger cons take more than 1 day to do theirs but it's certainly doable in just one panel right? Maybe we judge beforehand, and then just show the amvs, and then ask the audience/replay the winners, etc.

i realllllyyyyyy want this to work out, soooooo badly......please help!

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: I NEED HEEEEEEEEELP!!!

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:48 am

The answer to pretty much every question is pointing to question 9. You need to know how much the con has It's shit together, especially in regards to competent management, tech, and programming departments before you do anything.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 am

okay but also what's the best way to get them to hear me out in the first place. Do i need to write em an essay stating my case so they'll come to me as opposed to someone else? I might be the most qualified in the city as far as amvs go, so maybe being into amvs like i am is already something that sets me apart. ugh, idk, i'll just e-mail em.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:35 pm

I don't think you're going to be able to run an actual contest unless you join the staff. That tends to be how those things work. First find out if they're even interested. Go from there.
| | |

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:29 pm

is it a big deal to join the staff? e-mailing thhem now.

would i contact the con. chairman, programming director, operations director, or registrations manager?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:35 pm

I've seen a few cons have "unofficial" contests, but I think contacting the con staff and asking what you need to do would be your best route.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

I NEED HEEEEEEEEELP!!!

Post by ngsilver » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Being a part of staff and working with the higher ups can make things a lot easier with planning for an amv contest. You can get access to possibly prime time placement in main events and other panel rooms and what not, know what equipment is available, and depending if the con has some money behind it (though as a first year probably not a lot) even have much of the equipment that you would need provided.

The contest can be done as a panel. I've seen it done before. For that you really just need to know what is available for you as a hookup. Projector? DVD player? Hookups for a laptop? Ect. And from there you could plan out what format you want the final contest in for viewing and know what you should bring. At most for something small you can make do with a laptop if you have one or even a DVD player and just author the contest to it.

But first off, talk with the con staff. The programming director and con chair should be good starts. As its a small con they should have plenty of time to take a few mins, read your proposal, and consider it. That's what I did to get my foot in the door for Youmacon and they brought me on as staff, I started out doing just the contest and a few panels and expanded from there.
ImageImageImageImage

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:54 pm

You better be able to deal with a massive amount of unwanted politics.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Castor Troy wrote:You better be able to deal with a massive amount of unwanted politics.
That really depends on the people in charge. It can be anywhere between that extreme, completely reasonable people, and an executive staff that has no idea what they're doing and tries to make everyone happy.
| | |

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:58 pm

i'm stupid...guess they are having one...just no sign of one anywhere from the website, not even a hint, that's cool i guess, haha, thank god for twitter!

Return to “Anime Conventions”