So a friend tried to sign up for the org

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

So a friend tried to sign up for the org

Post by Eake4 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:38 pm

She has never spammed before and has tried registering several times to the org. Please give instructions on how to register from here.

Your IP __________ has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?ip=-____________.
An entry on the blaklist may have several reasons:
1. You are a well-known spammer.
2. Last time a well-known spammer was using the dynamic IP address which you got from your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
3. Your ISP is well-known for a lot of spamming customers and is not fighting against spammers.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: So a friend tried to sign up for the org

Post by LantisEscudo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 pm

We had an issue recently where one of the spam blacklists we use screwed up and was blocking everyone, but that was fixed about two weeks ago. Has your friend tried registering more recently than that?

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:52 pm

actually I used teamview with her today to register and try again but it didn't work.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Sounds like your friend is running into #2 on the list there (spammer using dynamic IP that got reassigned to your friend). Without the IP address, that's only a hunch.

The quickest and easiest way to work around this is for you to register for your friend...and then highly encourage her to change her password.

Other methods are:
-PM me the IP address so I can see if it can be removed from the blacklist. Unlikely since it would require the only entry in the blacklist to be made by us.
-Coordinate with an admin (GQ, Doki, or myself. All UTC-5 or UTC-6) to temporarily disable the blacklist check so your friend can register.
-Bug me to install a mod that lets admins manually add a new user (rather odd that phpbb doesn't have that functionality as-is...)

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”