Anime Los Angeles 2013 AMV Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
MikalSaltveit
Org Profile

Re: Anime Los Angeles 2013 AMV Contest

Post by MikalSaltveit » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 am

James Blond wrote:Awesome! I made it in! Congrats to the other finalists, and good luck!

(It's too bad that airfare from Minneapolis to LA is so ridiculous - I'd love to join all of you there! :shock: )
From the rules:
You must attend in order to receive awards. Failure to attend without an Exception will result in getting Banned
-Mikal Saltveit

tipsd9video
Org Profile

Post by tipsd9video » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:38 am

MikalSaltveit wrote:
James Blond wrote:Awesome! I made it in! Congrats to the other finalists, and good luck!

(It's too bad that airfare from Minneapolis to LA is so ridiculous - I'd love to join all of you there! :shock: )
From the rules:
You must attend in order to receive awards. Failure to attend without an Exception will result in getting Banned
-Mikal Saltveit
Could he have a proxy pick up his awards? I know some other AMV contests allow this, but I can't remember if ALA does.
If it's allowed, I wouldn't mind picking up any awards he gets and mailing them to him.
youtube accounts:
tipsd9video for animations and AMVs
animefxnstuff for live action videos

James Blond
Org Profile

Post by James Blond » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:35 pm

MikalSaltveit wrote: From the rules:
-Mikal Saltveit
Wait, what? I submitted a video (despite the fact that I won't be able to attend) because you posted an update to the attendance rule:
MikalSaltveit wrote: UPDATE: To clarify the attendance rule. We WILL accept entries from non-attendees, however attendees will have first shot at the slots, and you must appear in person or by proxy to claim any prizes.
Are you saying that I just won't be able to receive any awards, or are you saying that my video is now banned...?
tipsd9video wrote:Could he have a proxy pick up his awards? I know some other AMV contests allow this, but I can't remember if ALA does.
If it's allowed, I wouldn't mind picking up any awards he gets and mailing them to him.
If Mikal would be okay with this, I would certainly appreciate it! (And if you have a Paypal account, I can reimburse you for any packaging/shipping costs!) All of this is, of course, assuming I win anything to begin with. :sweat:

Bm-atticus
Org Profile

Post by Bm-atticus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Well, it looks like there were enough entries for comedy after all and my video wasn't needed. That's good because I was having second thoughts about it since it's been around for a while. Good luck everyone! And hopefully I'll have my new comedy vid ready in time for Conji!

MikalSaltveit
Org Profile

Post by MikalSaltveit » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:39 am

tipsd9video wrote:Could he have a proxy to pick up his awards? I know some other AMV contests allow this, but I can't remember if ALA does.
From the rules:
UPDATE: To clarify the attendance rule. We WILL accept entries from non-attendees, however attendees will have first shot at the slots, and you must appear in person or by proxy to claim any prizes.
To clarify this even further, I don't want people submitting who have no intention of attending. If you are not attending you need to let me know ASAP, and pick a proxy. Banning may occur in cases where people have lied to or mislead me as to their attending status. Last year a contestant told me they would attend, then after con revealed they never planned on showing up and asked for their prizes to be mailed to them.
James Blond wrote:Wait, what? I submitted a video (despite the fact that I won't be able to attend) because you posted an update to the attendance rule:

If Mikal would be okay with this, I would certainly appreciate it! (And if you have a Paypal account, I can reimburse you for any packaging/shipping costs!) All of this is, of course, assuming I win anything to begin with. :sweat:
The rule change still means you need to let me know. And that would be fine. I'm saying don't tell me your going to show up and then not show up. Thankfully this year there was no issue of attendees vs. non-attendees for slots. And Prize distribution is hard because your going to be rummaging around in a grab-bag of STUFF. Its awesome stuff, to be sure, but a proxy needs to then pick the thing you want. i.e. do you want the Disney-Pixar Brave Doll, or did you really want that Wooden Katana.
Bm-atticus wrote:Well, it looks like there were enough entries for comedy after all and my video wasn't needed. That's good because I was having second thoughts about it since it's been around for a while. Good luck everyone! And hopefully I'll have my new comedy vid ready in time for Conji!
I did not receive your video.

-Mikal Saltveit

James Blond
Org Profile

Post by James Blond » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:08 pm

MikalSaltveit wrote:
tipsd9video wrote:Could he have a proxy to pick up his awards? I know some other AMV contests allow this, but I can't remember if ALA does.
From the rules:
UPDATE: To clarify the attendance rule. We WILL accept entries from non-attendees, however attendees will have first shot at the slots, and you must appear in person or by proxy to claim any prizes.
To clarify this even further, I don't want people submitting who have no intention of attending. If you are not attending you need to let me know ASAP, and pick a proxy. Banning may occur in cases where people have lied to or mislead me as to their attending status. Last year a contestant told me they would attend, then after con revealed they never planned on showing up and asked for their prizes to be mailed to them.
James Blond wrote:Wait, what? I submitted a video (despite the fact that I won't be able to attend) because you posted an update to the attendance rule:

The rule change still means you need to let me know. And that would be fine. I'm saying don't tell me your going to show up and then not show up. Thankfully this year there was no issue of attendees vs. non-attendees for slots. And Prize distribution is hard because your going to be rummaging around in a grab-bag of STUFF. Its awesome stuff, to be sure, but a proxy needs to then pick the thing you want. i.e. do you want the Disney-Pixar Brave Doll, or did you really want that Wooden Katana.

-Mikal Saltveit
I apologize for the misunderstanding. When I submitted my video, I never said if I would or wouldn't be attending the convention. (I should have mentioned that to you right up front!) So, I can understand why you may have thought that I would be there. May I offer a suggestion? I just looked at the submission form again, and I noticed there's no specific question on it about attendance. Could you add a Yes/No question regarding attendance onto the form for future years? That way there won't be any future confusion...

At any rate, I'm glad this has all been sorted out! And I hope you all have fun!

tipsd9video
Org Profile

Post by tipsd9video » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:32 pm

James Blond wrote: If Mikal would be okay with this, I would certainly appreciate it! (And if you have a Paypal account, I can reimburse you for any packaging/shipping costs!) All of this is, of course, assuming I win anything to begin with. :sweat:
Ok sounds good. Since we're choosing prizes from a grab-bag, do you want to give me your phone number so I can call you and ask what you want? Or maybe you can tell me the kind of stuff you like and I'll choose something.
I bet you'll win something xD Your video is quite good.
youtube accounts:
tipsd9video for animations and AMVs
animefxnstuff for live action videos

Bm-atticus
Org Profile

Post by Bm-atticus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Bm-atticus wrote:Well, it looks like there were enough entries for comedy after all and my video wasn't needed. That's good because I was having second thoughts about it since it's been around for a while. Good luck everyone! And hopefully I'll have my new comedy vid ready in time for Conji!
I did not receive your video.

-Mikal Saltveit[/quote]

I sent you a message letting you know what happened (and how silly I felt when I discovered it)

VampiressxGhost
Org Profile

Post by VampiressxGhost » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:21 am

Is there anything special you have to do once you are at the con and go into the contest if you are a finalist? like do i have to sign in or anything?

MikalSaltveit
Org Profile

Post by MikalSaltveit » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 pm

All finalists have been sent an e-mail. If you did not receive this e-mail please send an e-mail to amv13@alaamv.info

Return to “AMV Contests”