My first AMV! What do you think?

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

My first AMV! What do you think?

Post by Pikapwn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GtzTz2dbWQ
Alright, this is my first AMV. I would greatly appreciate it if I could get an opinion about what is good and what needs to be improved. It was a lot of fun to make, and I hope to make more.

Last edited by Pikapwn on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: My first AMV! What do you think?

Post by Kariudo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 pm

I've moved this from Opinion Exchange to AMV Announcements because, well...this thread wasn't offering an Op exchange.

You'll probably get some general feelings about your video in this section. If you want a more in-depth review, op ex is the place to go. Just remember that it's an exchange. Unless you're posting in a free op thread, you should offer your opinion on other's videos in exchange for their opinion on yours.

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:42 am

Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation.

Shivadark93
Org Profile

Post by Shivadark93 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:11 am

Wooow I like this video!! :D

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Shivadark93 wrote:Wooow I like this video!! :D
Oh, thank you! :D

DazedTheory
Org Profile

Post by DazedTheory » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 am

Wow! Not bad for a first! I really liked it :D
--------------------------
Profile Twitter Youtube

PSN - DazedFury

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 am

Not bad for a first. A decent encapsulation of the series. Here's what you can work on in your next video:

* Don't let scenes linger for too long. Don't be afraid to cut more, use more scenes, etc. This is particularly true in action videos. For example, 00:26 with the kid crying (other examples would be 1:06, 1:15). It would still serve its purpose if it was half the length.

* What's the theme? The first minute is all about Scar and the Ishvallans, but then it turns into Mustang, and then it quickly devolves into "let's just show all the cool scenes in FMA:B." It cheapens the impact of your video. Choose an idea and stick with it.

* There seems to be little rhyme or reason to the flow of scenes within each of the segments. Why are we seeing the Fuhrer's death scene intersected with the Kimblee fight on the train? Each clip should be a logical progression from the previous one, and should serve a purpose in the grand scheme of your video. Especially if the attempt is a more drama-ish action video.

* Most of the time the sync is pretty weak. It's competent at best (apart from 1:02, that was cool). Lyric sync is all well and good, but you have to do more than just that. More scenes like 1:02!

Hopefully that helps. Keep at it!

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:33 pm

first, no way! .. good, yup.
. don't get too hung-up on sync .. "2 fingers saying Come-On" hehe, that was genius :twisted: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:00 pm

irriadin wrote:Not bad for a first. A decent encapsulation of the series. Here's what you can work on in your next video:

* Don't let scenes linger for too long. Don't be afraid to cut more, use more scenes, etc. This is particularly true in action videos. For example, 00:26 with the kid crying (other examples would be 1:06, 1:15). It would still serve its purpose if it was half the length.

* What's the theme? The first minute is all about Scar and the Ishvallans, but then it turns into Mustang, and then it quickly devolves into "let's just show all the cool scenes in FMA:B." It cheapens the impact of your video. Choose an idea and stick with it.

* There seems to be little rhyme or reason to the flow of scenes within each of the segments. Why are we seeing the Fuhrer's death scene intersected with the Kimblee fight on the train? Each clip should be a logical progression from the previous one, and should serve a purpose in the grand scheme of your video. Especially if the attempt is a more drama-ish action video.

* Most of the time the sync is pretty weak. It's competent at best (apart from 1:02, that was cool). Lyric sync is all well and good, but you have to do more than just that. More scenes like 1:02!

Hopefully that helps. Keep at it!
Alright, first: Thank you very much for the feedback. It will help me a lot for the next one!

I do realize what you mean by many of the scenes being too long.
The AMV I have planned next is an action video, so I'll take your advice, and that of others who told me the same thing, and use many more cuts.

I did have a theme. (I do understand that there is no purpose if the video didn't get it through and I have to explain it, but I let you know what I was trying) It was meant to be a video showing three characters from FMA:B rising up from a hopeless situation to meet a great challenge. Scar was going around extracting revenge, but he rose up to fight for the Amestrians, that's why when the song said "I Will Not Bow, etc." I showed him fighting against the real villains, Bradly and Kimblee. The second verse transissioned to Mustand rising up from losing all of his men and getting revenge on Envy, to letting Envy go and fighting against Father. The last bit was meant to show Ed in many hopeless situations, but going against them and defeating all the villains, including Father.

I also like 1:02, so I'll go for more like you said.
Don't worry, I'll be sure to keep at it, and thanks again for the help!

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:02 pm

post-it wrote:first, no way! .. good, yup.
. don't get too hung-up on sync .. "2 fingers saying Come-On" hehe, that was genius :twisted: :up: :up: :up: :up:
Yes, it was my first!
I spent a month reading all the guides I could find on the org, and two weeks editing.

I'll try to focus on sync more, though....and yeah I liked that part, too.
Thanks!

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”